LCD Monitor's

87buick3825

Calling all computer people . I am lookin for a new monitor :D Found a Compaq 17" model . Anyone have any idea how good these are. Or maybe another brand ??

thanks
RD

The Viewsonic's rock for the money. Check your local Best Buy and you can usually compare them side by side.

Sully

I think the LCD's are hit or miss. Definitely see one up close before you buy to make sure you can deal with the lower picture quality (when compared to CRT). I've liked all the Sony's I've seen, but of course they're the most expensive. I have a 19" Philips LCD at my desk, but don't use it... I use my HP p1130 21" LCD because the clarity is night and day. I find most LCD's to be pretty grainy and annoying to look at text.

If you're gaming, make sure the performance of the lcd with screen refresh and whatnot is good enough. I think the newer models have addressed problems like this, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet...

for the money CRts are the way to go. if your gaming and such CRts still have it over LCDs.

and i agree viewsonic for the money is the best.

I'd reccommend you read through some of the computer forums and review sites. You'll find that there are some models that stand out from others quite noticably and you can't always rely on specs to find the LCD that actually performs the best. www.hardforum.com would be a good place to start, once you have a few models you like in mind you can check out the [H]otdeals forum to find a good price on it.

I have a Dell 1800FP which is a rebadged 18" LG panel. Many of the companies just buy panels from other manufacturers and put them in their own housing. Read those reviews and forums and eventually you'll start to hear certain names over and over, those would be the panels you want to look at.

As for specs, which aren't the be all end all like I said (I've seen some panels with much better specs than mine that look much worse), you want to look at resolution, refresh/response time, color depth, and check out the level of black reproduction (you don't want blacks looking grey). Make sure the natural resolution is something you can live with as the panel will always look best at this resolution. Lower refresh/response times are better, especially if you're doing anything involving quick motion like gaming or videos. Anything with 25ms or under should be fine, 16ms being pretty damn good to most eyes (mine is 25ms but is pretty well known for not blending/streaking under quick motion).

If you need anything else feel free to ask, I'd be happy to help. Don't be pulled in by one brand, there are good LCD's out there by companies you haven't heard of (and they might make the panel for the company you have heard of, who just charges you more for it) who make darn fine LCDs. I still haven't seen a company who makes an entire model line that's good, with these it really comes down to individual models. Do your homework.

-Jade

I have a Gateway with an LCD screen and the picture is 100 times better than my Compaq CRT screen ever was. I have a Sony Laptop and a Sony LCD projection TV. They are all better than any CRT screen I could ever buy.

I just recently got a new Sony VAIO Computer. It came with the Sony SDM-HS73 17" LCD Monitor. I love it...wouldn't go back to the old style ...Unless of course you told me I got a free GNX with it ;)

Jamie

Anyone know anything about the NEC 18" Black LCD MultiSync LCD1860NX-BK? How much is it worth used (but in new condition)? The specs are here.

i have the 15" NEC mutlisynce. i love it. the NEC lsd's come with a hard clear shield over the soft lcd to protect it. real nice units.