Leaking Rear Main

Lynn D. Brown

I replaced my leaking rope seal ~ 10 yrs ago w the neoprene one, but at the time I didn't know about offsetting the seal, so it leaks also. A bit of a pain to do, since the pan won't drop and ya gotta loosen the mounts and jack up the engine.

The oils loss is trivial - say 1 Qt./1000+ mi., but of course I get all kinds of flac from the other ½ because of the stains. I won't be rebuilding for a few years and want to wait till then, so I am trying to come up w another solution.

So ~ a month ago I reinstalled the TC cover and plugged the hole w a rubber grommet into which I can push a bolt. Then I can pull it periodically to drain the oil. Just checked it today, but no oil drained out. Not sure it seals all that well, because I still get an occasional drip.

Maybe I'll just have to try another neoprene seal and do it right this time w the offset and alot of silicone on the side seals. GD 2 piece rear seals suck ! The only thing I hate about these cars.

And I don't think there's any way to convert to a 1 piece, like I did on my Typhoon - Chevy block. These blocks have enuf room on the rear end of the crank to bolt in a 1 piece enclosure and seal. Works alot better.