Learning to tune

dboosted1

I have started modding my 39k limited and wanted to start learning how to tune.

My first question is that I think my car is running real rich and want to know what can i do to remedy this. I think it was do to a crack in my d/s exhaust manifold which I repaired today. The only thing I can really tune is the Fuel pressure correct?

I am going to get turbolink and want to know what are the most important readings to look at?

I know all cars are different but are there any standard or safe readings #s.

I am just going to adjust boost Vs. F/P until i start seeing knock, is this a good stratagy? Thanks

Originally posted by dboosted1
I am just going to adjust boost Vs. F/P until i start seeing knock, is this a good stratagy? Thanks

It really depends on what chip you are using. With a Thrasher chip, you set the FP at 45 psi and leave it and increase boost or Octane depending on how much knock you see.

In my opinion, newbies should really just leave the FP alone. No amount of FP will allow a stock T-R to run 12's on 92 octane, but I see people at the track monkeying with the FP, upping it until the gage is off the scale, hoping for a 92 octane "miracle pass" and ending up with 14 second, sluggish pig. It makes me want to yoink the allen wrench out of their hands and chuck it into the weeds.

A good strategy is to start with a reasonable FP (42-45 line off) and a good, known level of octane that corresponds to a chip you are using and increase boost slowy until you start seeing knock on the 2-3 shift.

I had good results lowering the FP on my Thrasher a couple of pounds but I keep a close eye on my o2's and knock. I shoot for 790-800 o2's at the top of third. When I first started tuning I had help from a fellow Buick owner (Stevemon) we slowly brought up the boost to about 16-17 eventually. Then started to lean it out. This was with a Red Armstrong 93 chip which ran real rich ( I had the FP all the way down to 32 and was still pig rich).

You never said what chip you are using. If it is the stock chip I wouldn't even tune it. Just get a good aftermarket chip and begin to tune. Most chips have settings for you to have on the FP so it would vary depending on the chip but if it is a street car it is best left a little rich.