You can type here any text you want

leep to dfi????have a chance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn1090ss

HI TECH LOSER
havent raced that often in last 3 yrs or so but i currently have an oppurtunity to get a used accel dfi system cheap and have some questions.my car now runs consistant 11.30s at 125 to 130 on a modified stock ecm.I have 72lb injs.with a t66,front mount,girdled engine,with oringed heads and plenty of fuel....26 lbs of boost.my ??is i can get this dfi system with 72 lb for about 800 dollars that came off a car with similar mods,is it worth it???I really dont know much about dfi and the seller claims it can just plug in and go!!!well.....can it.....I think my car has more in it and want a dfi system but am pretty dim witted to NEW things,any help would be appreciated...thanks:confused

This is an age old debate on the board.

There are those who will tell you that a modified ECM can do the job and that is true.

There are also those who use a DFI with no problem and it works very well.

Here is the real question. If you feel that you can tune a car using a DFI box, then get it. Your friend is right it is a plug and play deal. You will have to make some adjustments on the fuel map. No two cars are the same, even with the exact same set up.

That being said, you have a lot more in that car using a T 66 turbo. You should and this is a guess, be able to run mid 10's with that combo.

The real advantage with a DFI is that you can adjust fuel, timing, all of it right then and there. You dont have to go try a chip and then send it back.

Hope this helps

You have a little bit of wiring to make it work right. You need to install and wire a MAP sensor, your TCC won't work (i didn't notice what TC you were using). AND if this is a batch fire box, I would not run low impedance injecotrs without a VIC (variable injector controller). Some guys run low ohm injectors without a VIC but you are gambling if you do IMO.

DR

I will find outwhat accel system it is and post a reply.....thank you very much guys....oh,and i am running a th400 with a switch pitch converter so that I guess I dont have to worry about that.

Dave is right about the wiring but they do make a harness that plugs right in.

As for the MAP sensor, you already have one on the car. You do need to run a wire from that sensor to the ECM. You may want to buy a 3 bar map sensor using the 66 turbo. That I believe is a necessity.

You can run up to 70 lb/hr injectors on the batch fire box. Anything bigger than that and yes you will need a VIC unit to control them properly.

Just trying to help.

Get the numbers off the back of the ECU...That'll tell all of what its configured as...It may plug in and work, but I gotta believe that you will need to do some tuning modifications as nobody's cars are the exact same and would run optimum on the same calibration...

you guys are great!!!!thanks for all the help....here is the info,the unit is numbered74044 and gn4 and has a manufacture date of 10-20-98.The seller doesnt know if it is batch fire or not. What i am know thinking is to maybe research this as much as possible and get a unit by spring instead of hastily buying a used unit that I really know little history of. But any more coments would be greatly apreciated.who knows I might still get it for cheaper than I thought sas he is a pretty motivated seller...

If you aren't really in to tuning i would go with the max effort maffless setup from Steve Yaklin. I personally don't run one but i have 3 friends running it . It seems to be very easy to get dialed in quickly. Dfi isn't that hard to tune with if you know much about tuning. But it does require a lot of tinkering with to work out all the little driveability issues. If i didn't have the dfi i would go with the max effort.
Besides the above issues Steve is very helpful if you do have a problem.

Hey GN, is that ECU black or silver??? There were some SEFI ECU's put out with the 74044, if the box is black, it is a sequential, if silver or aluminum finish, its batch fire...Something to consider is that neither one is available now, especially the SEFI ecu's...The Gen VI systems can still be repaired or converted to whatever you need, but those SEFI ones are just about junk...The Gen VII is the replacement, and there is no comparison between it and anything else currently on the market...

Back