Let's play "What the....?"

Kurt04

Today I was digging around under the hood and found this:

007.jpg

IAT Sensor was just hanging out, not threaded into the MAF pipe. hmm.

Then I found these plugs not connected to anything. What are they for?

By washer pump.
008.jpg

009.jpg

By alternator.
011.jpg

By A/C Condenser.
013.jpg

And I found this LED wired into a connector on the charcoal canister? What's it for?

010.jpg

My IAT is laying outside the MAF as well. From what I have read the IAT has very little adjustment to fuel. I'm not tapping my MAF... I've got an engine bay full of unplugged sensors as well. Hoping this thread will educate me some more.

The inlet air temp under the hood is ok if in the inlet airstream or not?

Do you have a vacuum brake booster? The 2 large plugs look like they go to a Powermaster unit.

The 2 "dirty" plugs are from the fan delay relay, better un-used, less issues.

The plug at the alt appears to be a tach lead for a diagnostic unit or aftermarket tach.

LED is not factory.

If you mean AC evaporator, not a condenser, that plug is used with a digital dash boost display.

The inlet air temp under the hood is ok if in the inlet airstream or not? When I found it, it was tucked down by the charcoal canister.

Do you have a vacuum brake booster? The 2 large plugs look like they go to a Powermaster unit. Ahh, yes, I have vacuum brakes.

The 2 "dirty" plugs are from the fan delay relay, better un-used, less issues. - Ok

The plug at the alt appears to be a tach lead for a diagnostic unit or aftermarket tach. - Ok

LED is not factory. - What could it be for?

If you mean AC evaporator, not a condenser, that plug is used with a digital dash boost display. - Ahh, what about wires next to it with no plug?

BTW .. if you weren't 'digging' around the hood like you said in the original post you would have probably just kept operating the car as normal.. but you just opened a can o worms for $$$ spending..and having other things to go wrong.. you dont know how many times i have been digging around in my hood and seems like the car was also digging in my pockets at the same time. I could have easily not opened the hood the car was running fine and bought a sandwich or something but no us men are pretty dumb and we will touch anything that seems loose for no apparent reason.. lol.. no check engine light? keep truckin brother.

BTW .. if you weren't 'digging' around the hood like you said in the original post you would have probably just kept operating the car as normal.. but you just opened a can o worms for $$$ spending..and having other things to go wrong.. you dont know how many times i have been digging around in my hood and seems like the car was also digging in my pockets at the same time. I could have easily not opened the hood the car was running fine and bought a sandwich or something but no us men are pretty dumb and we will touch anything that seems loose for no apparent reason.. lol.. no check engine light? keep truckin brother.

Haha. Yeah no CEL so I guess we are ok. :D

I was looking over my engine bay tonight...one thing I did was remove the fan delay relay, as many people have suggested to get rid of it. Should I just leave the connectors hanging there or is there a proper way to cover them off? I'm also planning to fabricate my own air intake with 3.25" aluminum pipe and some 45-degree elbow bends. For this, I'll install it to incorporate the stock MAF/IAT sensor, unless there's a good reason to remove it? I'll remove the air-box and install a K & N universal cone filter. I also noticed the charcoal canister mentioned by the O.P. What does this do, and can it be removed? Pardon my ignorance...I'm used to looking at a pre-smog Chrysler big block engine bay, not these funky "modern", "high tech" engines! :p

This member speaks the truth!!

This member speaks the truth!!
If you're not curious, you never learn anything, either. ;) But of course, I usually live by the motto, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...but that doesn't apply when you're trying to understand something and even moreso if you're trying to improve something.

If you're not curious, you never learn anything, either. ;) But of course, I usually live by the motto, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...but that doesn't apply when you're trying to understand something and even moreso if you're trying to improve something.

I've been there too many times with my daily drivers, I go and attempt to fix something simple like a piece of trim that has sat a certain way for years and end up breaking it or a bunch of clips in the process and it turns into a production. Now as for the GN I'm ok with it ... I'm learning in leaps and bounds about it and just making a list to be prioritized later for expenditure.

Can anyone explain the benefit of unpugging the fan delay relay? I am a relative novice - this is the first I have ever heard of this.

Can anyone explain the benefit of unpugging the fan delay relay? I am a relative novice - this is the first I have ever heard of this.
Apparently it will turn itself on when it gets old & worn out & shorted on the inside, and the fan will come on and run, killing your battery.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/electric-fan-turns-on-with-car-off.312411/

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/electric-fan.311357/

Another member did a write-up on this issue but I can't find that thread now...the search function here isn't the most effective.

The fan delay relay is supposed to kick the fan on if the water temp goes above a certain value even if the engine is shut off. Sounds like a good idea but it never worked all that well. Over time these relays go bad and like to kick on your fan for no reason and kill your battery. It will not cause any problems if you remove it or just unplug it and wrap the connectors in electrical tape.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Today I was digging around under the hood and found this:

007.jpg

IAT Sensor was just hanging out, not threaded into the MAF pipe. hmm.

Then I found these plugs not connected to anything. What are they for?

By washer pump.
008.jpg

009.jpg

The plugs by the washer pump with the green rubber seals on them are from the Factory powermaster brake system that use to sit in that area under the hood before the previous owner changed over to a diff style brake system that was more reliable. My car was converted over to Hydroboost for the brakes by one of the previous owners, the wires that went to the powermaster unit were a 12v and 5v source if i am recalling correctly from using a volt meter on them to see what voltages they put out. No idea about the dirty one's.

By alternator.
011.jpg

As long as the single little black wire near the Alternator isn't touching anything, you won't have any issues of popping your FP/injector fuse ( it's the test wire for the fuel pump ). No idea about the green one.

By A/C Condenser.
013.jpg

And I found this LED wired into a connector on the charcoal canister? What's it for?

They weren't on there from the factory, might want to ask one of the previous owners why they did that.

010.jpg