Letting the suspension hang for the winter?

green95ss

Poor car collector
Hi folks,

Happy New Year! I just put my car away for the winter. I don't want flat spots on my new tires, so I left the car up on jackstands in the rear. I positioned the jackstands under the bolt of the lower control arms so The suspension would not be hanging at full extension.

For the front, I couldn't find a suitable position to not let the suspension hang, so I positioned the jackstand under the frame so that the tires are just barely touching the ground.

My question is: WIll letting the suspension hang down to its fullest extension hurt it over a three month period?

Thanks in advance,

Guhan

I would be worried that the control arm bushings will be twisted during storage then when you start to drive it again they may tear quicker..
Can you put the stands onder the shock mounts?

ks

Dumb question, but do you mean the control arm bushings in the front or the back? If it is in the front, I can give it a shot to put the stand under the shock mount.

I have to put a new cover on the car soon anyway--the old one blew away and I can't find it (for real). The car won't be too wobbly on jackstands, will it? They do plow the lot that my car is sitting in, but some snow resting on the car shouldn't be enough to knock it off its stands, should it?

Thanks,

Guhan

Originally posted by green95ss

For the front, I couldn't find a suitable position to not let the suspension hang, so I positioned the jackstand under the frame so that the tires are just barely touching the ground.

Put a block of wood on the jackstands and set the front down on the control arms.