You can type here any text you want

lifter bleed down

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

workingdan

Ok I have a question. When y car sits for a couple of day when I start it, the lifters clatter real bad for a few seconds. It seems as if the lifters are bleeding down. After the clattering goes away, they are still a little noisy. Seems to be worse than it was last year. The cam and lifters were replaced 3 years ago. I bought them from full throttle speed. Should I replace them with some GM lifters or do you think there is something else going on.
Thanks

Ok I have a question. When y car sits for a couple of day when I start it, the lifters clatter real bad for a few seconds. It seems as if the lifters are bleeding down. After the clattering goes away, they are still a little noisy. Seems to be worse than it was last year. The cam and lifters were replaced 3 years ago. I bought them from full throttle speed. Should I replace them with some GM lifters or do you think there is something else going on.
Thanks

mine has been doing it for 4 years but it does quiet down after a few seconds.

Watch your oil pressure guage and see if your pressure builds and it is still noisey. If it is noisey until the pressure comes up, then the drainback valve in the filter is not holding oil in the system like it should. I used to experience that with Fram filters. I get AC Delco filters and check the valve before I buy them to make sure they flow one way and stop the other flow direction.

Watch your oil pressure guage and see if your pressure builds and it is still noisey. If it is noisey until the pressure comes up, then the drainback valve in the filter is not holding oil in the system like it should. I used to experience that with Fram filters. I get AC Delco filters and check the valve before I buy them to make sure they flow one way and stop the other flow direction.

Ya when oil presure builds the noise gets better. I am a running mobil one filter. I will try a AC delco. Whats odd is after the oil presure builds it still seems louder than it was last year. Would a bad filter check valve make the lifters noisy?

WOW! If it gets noisier when pressure builds, then there is something blocking oil to the lifters. Not sure what that would be as I have never run across that. :(

WOW! If it gets noisier when pressure builds, then there is something blocking oil to the lifters. Not sure what that would be as I have never run across that. :(

He means that the lifters get quieter when oil pressure builds.

i ran into the same exact problem when going to a purolator oil filter, went back to AC Delco PF52 and have never had a problem with it again. Drain back valve was leaking back, like previously stated..

Thanks, Dan

This is what I was replying to. Getting noisier is not good. If the check valve is bad, it will normally be noisey upon fireup and then quiet down as soon as oil pressure is up above...say, 20psi. Maybe 10psi. As soon as the system is charged up the noise should go away.

... I will try a AC delco. Whats odd is after the oil presure builds it still seems louder than it was last year. Would a bad filter check valve make the lifters noisy?

He means that the lifters get quieter when oil pressure builds.

Yes , it gets quieter when oil presure builds. After it builds there is still a lot of lifter tick that I dont remember being as load as last year. Can the oil filter check valve cause that? Or should I replace the lifters? Or just live with it?
Thanks

I only use AC Delco filters and I also get the loud lifter noise at start-up. After 2-3 seconds the loud noise is goes down to a ticking sound

Also as the oil gets older (more miles) the loud start-up sound seems to last longer and longer. Right now I am changing the oil at about 2000 to 2500miles. I have tried every deferent type of oil (except RP) from regular to full synthetic with EOS, STP, and no frills add-ins. On my last oil change I used Castrol 10W40 High miles with EOS and ZDDP (I forgot that I had already put EOS in it) lets see how long it lasts.

BTW- my oil pressure when at normal operating temps (165*-173*) ranges from 18-21 PSI at idle and way higher when driving.

Back