You can type here any text you want

lifter clack?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

daturbosix

so i got a hydrolic roller and the T&D rockers. mine seem to be quite noisy...

anyone with this setup? what do you set your valves at? warm or cold?

so i got a hydrolic roller and the T&D rockers. mine seem to be quite noisy...

anyone with this setup? what do you set your valves at? warm or cold?

i dont have the rockers but hyd. roller cams can tend to sound like typewriters under the hood. and with roller rockers, i believe they can be even louder. if your still worried try and post a vid/sound clip and others can listen!

my car has sounded like a typewriter for about 17000miles!

I have T&D's with billet roller...I set them cold 3/4 turn(that's about .037 preload) after zero lash...full turn on T&D's is .050...my motor is actually pretty quiet for a roller...get a lot people commenting on how quiet it is...

I wish I could hear other roller cams, because I don't know if mine is normal or not. I have a rather aggressive Comp 218/212. The sound I hear is not a top end lifter clatter but a rythmic tapping - sort of what I imagine a rod knock would sound like. I also have T&D's, so maybe one of the lifters isn't adjusted properly. My TD's are set at a half turn, which I believe is about a .025 preload.

I have T&D's with billet roller...I set them cold 3/4 turn(that's about .037 preload) after zero lash...full turn on T&D's is .050...my motor is actually pretty quiet for a roller...get a lot people commenting on how quiet it is...

i c. i set mine at half turn after zero lash. possibly that is my issue?
should i do it hot or cold?

i dont have the rockers but hyd. roller cams can tend to sound like typewriters under the hood. and with roller rockers, i believe they can be even louder. if your still worried try and post a vid/sound clip and others can listen!

my car has sounded like a typewriter for about 17000miles!

im gonna make a vid later in the weekend. stay tuned here for it!

Same here setting wise. Very quiet compared to some out there.

i c. i set mine at half turn after zero lash. possibly that is my issue?
should i do it hot or cold?

Could be the problem...I always set mine cold because it's a PITA to set them hot/warm...I always burn my arm or hand on something when working on a hot motor...just set them cold to 3/4 turn...when the motor warms up the preload may be a little more as things expand...no big deal...I've been setting them that way for over 3 years now and no problems...

I move the pushrod up/down very gently...slowly turn the set screw...no more up or down movement...zero lash...I don't like setting it by spinning the pushrod...you can actually have some preload and still be able to spin it...

I move the pushrod up/down very gently...slowly turn the set screw...no more up or down movement...zero lash...I don't like setting it by spinning the pushrod...you can actually have some preload and still be able to spin it...

Mine are at 1/4 turn pre-load on 853 lifters and its not too noisy. The problem is the lifter bore machining which varies on different blocks. Some are better than others.

Is the lifter just anywhere on the cam or do you turn the engine around for each lifter so the lifter is just on the travel to open the valve? I did set zero lash on my pushrods by twisting but suspect I ended up with more than just zero lash on some before setting the pre-load for my Harland Sharp rockers ....

Is the lifter just anywhere on the cam or do you turn the engine around for each lifter so the lifter is just on the travel to open the valve? I did set zero lash on my pushrods by twisting but suspect I ended up with more than just zero lash on some before setting the pre-load for my Harland Sharp rockers ....

Do it this way:

TDC on #1 adjust the following valves,

Exhaust 1 - 5- 6
Intake 1- 2 - 3

Next turn crank over 1 revolution, and adjust the following valves,

Exhaust 2 - 3 - 4
Intake 4 - 5- 6

1/4 turn equals .0125
1/2 turn equals .025
3/4 turn equals .037
1 turn equals .050

so a little update... i reset them to 3/4 and it still sounds like a type writer.

i have conflicting opinions, some people have told me to set them and lock them down to zero lash, and some say the 3/4 turn.

however, it does feel and run damn good.

so a little update... i reset them to 3/4 and it still sounds like a type writer.

i have conflicting opinions, some people have told me to set them and lock them down to zero lash, and some say the 3/4 turn.

however, it does feel and run damn good.

Only 885's should be locked down at zero lash, no preload. If their 853's then 1/4-3/4 works.

Back