Lighted Rear View Mirror Install

Brutal Buick

While at the junkyard the other day I saw a really nice lighted mirror on a Buick Roadmaster. I'll go back and pick it up if they are easy to install. Can someone please post what is involved in hooking one of these up. Thanks in advance :)

Jamie

It's a relatively easy hookup, depending upon the original design of course.

Usually it's a ground wire, a constant +12 from an orange wire up above the headliner, and a white or white/orange stripe switched ground lead from the door pin switches.

Do a search on the topic there was a thread last month with lots of 1987/87 wiring info. on how to do it.

Actually the thread was this month. :p

Here's a link in case you didn't find it.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...7-rear-view-mirror-light-hookup-question.html

And the wiring should all be in the headliner area to use, since the dome light uses the white or white/orange wire from the door jamb switches.

Worst case would be having to run a wire up the A pillar into the headliner if for some reason the wiring wasn't found or working properly.

I installed a Gentek compass/temp mirror from a '02 fullsize Chevy van in my '84 GN a couple of months ago and I love it!!

It is a easy job to do. A real easy job. Mine cost me 500 dollars though. I found the rearview mirror i wanted at a local wrecking yard with 2 cars piled on top. I climbed in and took a screwdriver and just wacked the mounting base at the windshield and it popped right off. I went to grab it and did not notice the glass shards still attached. ( it was fairly dark inside the car). I ended up with about 8 stiches in my hand at 5 pm on a friday. Still like the mirror though.

It is a easy job to do. A real easy job. Mine cost me 500 dollars though. I found the rearview mirror i wanted at a local wrecking yard with 2 cars piled on top. I climbed in and took a screwdriver and just wacked the mounting base at the windshield and it popped right off. I went to grab it and did not notice the glass shards still attached. ( it was fairly dark inside the car). I ended up with about 8 stiches in my hand at 5 pm on a friday. Still like the mirror though.

lol, that was one expensive rear view:D hope your hands alright!

I just put one in the elky a few months ago. Makes a huge difference when looking for something in the car.