You can type here any text you want

Local powder/ceramic coating?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

Any places in the Chicagoland area that do this type of work? Thinking I might want my new downpipe coated. Thanks.

If nothing in Chicago, anything in IL or surrounding states would be nice, the closer the better for cost/time of shipping.

I used Welcome to www.CoatingSpecialties.com out of chicago height. off of 394. Rad rods by troy used them. I had the sand my exhaust housing down and coat for 100 bucks total. Its 50 bucks to just coat it and an extra 50 to sand it smooth. Its been 3 years and it started to peel where the header mates to the turbo but the rest looks like new.

Have used for a number of header coating and powder painting:

LO-KO™ Performance Coatings, Inc.
5340 West 111th Street
Oak Lawn, IL 60453
LO-KO™ Perfomance Coatings

This time of year they will have stuff ready in a week or less. Spring time takes a little longer

There is a place in addison on fullerton just off addison road.I will drive by it tomorrow and get name. I know my buddy used them to put a titanium coating on his headers. he is running 7's in nmca. they told him it will withstand more heat than jet hot:confused: . Metal prep services in rockford does real nice work also.

I used Welcome to www.CoatingSpecialties.com out of chicago height. off of 394. Rad rods by troy used them. I had the sand my exhaust housing down and coat for 100 bucks total. Its 50 bucks to just coat it and an extra 50 to sand it smooth. Its been 3 years and it started to peel where the header mates to the turbo but the rest looks like new.

Hm... their online price list says $25 for "exhaust pipe", I should make them honor that price! :eek:

I know this is old, but I wanted to throw this in their for anybody that does a search on this sort of thing.

A-Team speedshop in Tinley Park has a guy... I took my headers their for my LS1 car, and they did a fantastic job, never peeled, never chipped. Was pretty cheap.

Also did the radiator hold down bracket for me... I think it was like $30.
They bead blast and powder coat any color. I chose chrome.

They also said they would do my stock wheels for me for $60 a peice...

I think this is cheap, but who knows.

I've used Winning Colors down on Cedar in New Lenox, I like them the best so far... They did an intake for us in a high temp silver that came out perfect.

Lo-ko was great also, a bit more expensive than Winning Colors, but its a farther drive for me too.

Gorilla was very expensive, somewhat slow turn around time.

I've used Lo-Ko before and they are very good however the highest temp coating they do is 1200* ceremic. On a turbo application (hot side) it could discolor.

There's Performance Powder Coating in Yorkville and he can do the 2000* degree flat black if you're interested, that coating works great on the hot side turbo stuff. Terry is also a very good guy to deal with.

I can get you numbers if you're interested.

Yeah shoot me some information for the place in Yorkville. Do you remember what it cost you?

I got the same answer from "Coating Specialtes", max temp is 1200. :mad: It's a shame, they wanted less than $100 to do the job...

Yeah shoot me some information for the place in Yorkville. Do you remember what it cost you?

I got the same answer from "Coating Specialtes", max temp is 1200. :mad: It's a shame, they wanted less than $100 to do the job...

I had LoKo in Alsip do my stuff, and the 1200* faded out on the headers, but it is fine on the downpipe still. If you are only doing the downpipe, it should be fine.

As an example...

Here's a turbo set up on my friends '94 Lightning. The first set up was done by Lo-Ko. Around $300 for everything but the turbine housing, that was done in 2000* flat black by Motorsport Powdercoating in Delevan, WI. ($80.00 and I smoothed it out for him)
Raysturbo2.jpg

Raysturbo.jpg

Nice & purdy as you can see but the problem was that the 1200* ceremic didn't stay that way for long. It turned a yellow/brownish color, especially the headers. The only thing that stayed perfect was the 2000* exhaust housing and the ceremic compressor housing.

Over last winter he had everything else coated in the flat black. It's held up great this entire race season. Cost was around $500.00 for everything.
Raysturbo3.jpg

So, the two places that can do 2000* coatings that I know of are..
Performance Powder Coating (Yorkville)
630-553-0220 - Terry

Motorsport Powdercoating (Delavan)
262-740-2030

The 2000* stuff is available in a few other finishes besides flat black, there's flat red, blue, gray and a titanium as well which I'll be checking into that myself.

I had LoKo in Alsip do my stuff, and the 1200* faded out on the headers, but it is fine on the downpipe still. If you are only doing the downpipe, it should be fine.

Thanks for your reply. Worst case scenario if I can't find/afford a 2000degree coating then maybe I'll go with the 1200.

So, the two places that can do 2000* coatings that I know of are..
Performance Powder Coating (Yorkville)
630-553-0220 - Terry

Motorsport Powdercoating (Delavan)
262-740-2030

The 2000* stuff is available in a few other finishes besides flat black, there's flat red, blue, gray and a titanium as well which I'll be checking into that myself.

Thanks. I think I managed to find a Website and email for Terry at PPC, I sent him an email last night and mentioned that another Buick owner directed me to his shop. We'll see if he writes back otherwise I'll give him a call.

go to harbor freight and buy a really cheap small spray gun, or use yours if you have one. Go to Retail Packaged, Exhaust System Coatings and buy a can of Turbo X , or Black Satin. I have used both on hi-po turbo applications and both have held up very well. just follow the directions on the website, and CURE IT IN THE OVEN. I didnt and just cured it on the car the first time and it didnt turn out. You cannot get this stuff wet before its fully cured or it rusts through. But both look nice, semi-gloss black and have held up great. Also if you want color you can go over this stuff with one of their other coatings for the chrome/silver/red or whatever as it drops the surface temp so much the other stuff can withstand it. In fact, i could drive around for an hour and put my hand on my downpipe about 1 foot from the turbo and not burn it, dont ask why this came about either.
Gary

Thanks for the DIY tips, but I'm not sure my downpipe could fit in the oven. I'll keep this in mind though if I decide to coat my turbo housings.

I had some stainless Kooks LTs for my GTO coated in the Chicago area. Call Speed, Inc. to find out where they had them coated. They are flat black and look good and have held up real well to heat over about 10,000 miles.

Coating specialties did my turbine housing in silver and it has held up fine. Not sure the temp they used but it looks great. Other than the peeling at the header connection it looks just like the day i installed it. The only reason i went to them is i called rad rods by troy and asked them who they use and they use coating specialties on their 250k hot rods. If need be i can email you a pic of the turbo.

Back