lock-up converter in a non-lock up trans?

turbofabricator

Have a lock up converter, but new killer trans is assembled for non lock up converter. Will the converter work, less the lock up function? Never had this issue before. Ready to install new engine/trans (billet everything inside), but realized at the last minute that the converter was lock up (9/11). My trans builder is out of town for the weekend, so I can't call him.

it will be locked up full time in a non lock trans
had one like this recently where a garage put in a killer N/L husek trans and was like having a stick car without a clucth pedal , to get it into garage had to start in neutral and rev it jam in gear and it would roll forward and stall ..repeat . .once i saw the pink converter i knew exactly what they did... a vigilante multi disc LU in a NL trans

put the oring back on the input shaft groove,
reinstalling the check ball capsule in the end of input shaft is optional and wont change much except the speed it will lockup)
if its a transgo (gil young style ) non lock conversion remove tcc if its there and change out the non lockup valve components for the oe parts and it will run without lockup ,
if its an art carr conversion to restore lockup the pump needs to come out and remove the small allen screw to get the non lock valve componets out
then add the TCC solenoid and wiring and lockup will function as normal

if its one of lonnies the trans may have an input shaft that doesnt support lockup so to get back to lockup you would need to replace the input shaft

Last edited:
It has "billet" everything internally. Input, output, drum, etc... No way to install the lock up check ball in the input shaft. Will it still lock up full time?

Thanks! I was 90% sure of that, but was hoping I could get this car up and running this weekend. Never dealt with this scenario before. I've been after this friend of mine to build him some power for 27 years. Now its ready to drop in and run low 10's and I completely overlooked the lock-up deal. Thanks for the help.
Ken.

You can switch the input shaft worse case scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a lock up converter, but new killer trans is assembled for non lock up converter. Will the converter work, less the lock up function? Never had this issue before. Ready to install new engine/trans (billet everything inside), but realized at the last minute that the converter was lock up (9/11). My trans builder is out of town for the weekend, so I can't call him.
No, you will need to convert it back to lock-up. Simple modification if a transgo non-lock valve was installed in the front pump. Replace it with stock lock-up valve and spring. You will also need to install a seal on the input shaft. Make sure the lock-up solenoid is installed and hooked up. The lock-up will work fine without the check ball but lock-up will be very harsh. I have seen a few billet input shafts that a check ball cannot be installed, but they seem to work fine with lock-ups as the passage to converter is smaller.

A non lock up PTC was ordered today. The owner is stepping up his game. He had stock engine, bigger SLIC, 62/62 turbo and 88 lb. Injectors. Now he is sporting 252 cid, ported heads/intake, Precision SLIC, KILL trans and now converter, and a host of good stuff. I've been after him to step his game up for 25 years. Thanks for everyone's help. If it had been a week day I would have been OK.

A non lock up PTC was ordered today. The owner is stepping up his game. He had stock engine, bigger SLIC, 62/62 turbo and 88 lb. Injectors. Now he is sporting 252 cid, ported heads/intake, Precision SLIC, KILL trans and now converter, and a host of good stuff. I've been after him to step his game up for 25 years. Thanks for everyone's help. If it had been a week day I would have been OK.

Hey Ken, sounds like Dr. Adi will be flying this year! Did you build him a forged crank/rod deal? Girdle? Can't wait to see the car at Mission raceway.

Datar