Looking for a CHEAP suspension setup

BuickMike

Money pit
I'd like to go through the suspension on the car before dropping the motor back in, but my motor went over budget and funds are getting short. I want the car to sit a little lower and have a stiffer suspension. I don't mind if the ride gets a little harsh either. Help me plan my new setup.

I already boxed the stock rear control arms and installed HR poly bushings.

Here is what I'm thinking:

Moog 5658 or 5660's up front. I will have to cut the 5660's a little to get the height I want.

What springs can I get for the rear? Are there F body springs out there that are stiffer than our stock ones? That way I could trim them a tiny bit.

I will be replacing ALL the body bushings. Would I regret poly? If so, what bushings should I get?

Front control arm bushings - Poly or not? Are there greasable ones out there?

Ball joints - Would I go with taller upper and lower? Just taller upper? Are there any that fit the stock spindles?

Sway bars - Any junk yard ones that are an upgrade?

Brakes - LS1 or S10?? I will be putting on GTA wheels.

Front control arms - Can I just box the lowers - uppers?

Bracing - I already have the rear seat brace and the Kirban front frame brace. I guess I just need the front fender braces of a Grand Prix?

Anything else?

Thanks.

One thing I can help you with is the sway bar for the rear. Get one off the last version of the Blaser 4WD. It attaches like the protouring ones but uses end links. You have to mount it to the frame instead of the control arms. Much better control and doesn't stress the LCSA's as much.

One thing I can help you with is the sway bar for the rear. Get one off the last version of the Blaser 4WD. It attaches like the protouring ones but uses end links. You have to mount it to the frame instead of the control arms. Much better control and doesn't stress the LCSA's as much.

S10 Blazer?? Do you have any more info?

Well, I did some reading and decided to start hitting the junkyards for the S10 spindle swap now that I know that I can go with Corvette rotors later on if I wish.

Now that I know that, will the tall balljoints fit hte S10 knuckles and where do I get them?

Well, I did some reading and decided to start hitting the junkyards for the S10 spindle swap now that I know that I can go with Corvette rotors later on if I wish.

Now that I know that, will the tall balljoints fit hte S10 knuckles and where do I get them?

The S-10 knuckles are a direct swap and shouldn't give you any problems. As far as the tall ball joints there made by Howe and you can find them at any dirt track parts supplier.

S10 Blazer?? Do you have any more info?

It attaches to the axle like the pro touring bar and Camaro and it has the same ends as the front. You need to end links like the front and then they attach to the frame inside and above the LCAs on the little angular piece. Mount the bar to the axle first and make sure the front extension is level and measure the distance to the frame so you get the right legnth end links. Most big parts stores have the links in the show and no go section and in different sizes so you can find the ones you need.

Is it a 2 door or a 4 door Blazer? I remembering reading about a 2 door Blazer rear sway bar swap on a Malibu forum. The 2 door version mounts on top of the axle. Basically you flip it over on to the bottom of the rear end for G Bodies. Then you would need to make the front mounts. More or a less a poor mans H&R. I got one off of a 2 door, but haven't had time to mess with it.

The 4 door 4wd is the biggest one and mounts about like you're talking about. It is a poor mans pro touring bar set up for sure.

I have been thinking about making a poor mans HR bar for a while.I want it to be pretty much the same,mounted to the rear housing and either end links or heim links.Not paying $500 or $399 {BMR or Spohn},was thinking more along the lines of $50 bucks or less with bone yard parts.I'm gonna take some measurements this weekend and see what I can find in the yards next week

98-00ish 2dr Blazer. Gas tanks on the 2drs are behind the rear axle so the swaybar is linked to the frame infront of the axle unlike the 4drs and trucks. I hoping for a straight forward install. Kind of is but the bars arms abit too long and wouldnt be easy to link to the meaty part of the frame the uca's are mounted to. The only place to go with the bar links is to the 2 small diagonal frame braces. I welded in supports for those braces. All said and done I less than $75 in the rear bar, poly bushings and links. :cool:

13812270119_large.jpg

I will be replacing ALL the body bushings. Would I regret poly? If so, what bushings should I get?

I installed solid bushings in my car. Its a driver. I had to soften the suspension with cheaper shocks. REALLY firms up the car.

Sway bars - Any junk yard ones that are an upgrade?

My front swaybar is 34mm iroc.

98-00ish 2dr Blazer. Gas tanks on the 2drs are behind the rear axle so the swaybar is linked to the frame infront of the axle unlike the 4drs and trucks. I hoping for a straight forward install. Kind of is but the bars arms abit too long and wouldnt be easy to link to the meaty part of the frame the uca's are mounted to. The only place to go with the bar links is to the 2 small diagonal frame braces. I welded in supports for those braces. All said and done I less than $75 in the rear bar, poly bushings and links. :cool:

13812270119_large.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I've been trying to tell you guys. Thanks for the info and the pic. The ZQ8 4wd axle has the biggest but you may have fitment issues.

So how does it feel compared to the stock RSB? Where does the 4WD one mount?

So how does it feel compared to the stock RSB? Where does the 4WD one mount?

Forsure corners much flatter and feels tighter too. 4wd? The rear bar is off a 2 door blazer and the bar mounts on top of the axle. I dont know if 2wd or 4wd makes any difference. 4 door blazers and trucks the rear bar mounts on the rear of the axle and I dont think the bar would fit a g-body.

Is it a bolt on? How much better than stock is it?

Bolt-on yes. Depends on what was stock. Definately an improvement on the g-bodies I owned.

The 4 door 4wd is the biggest one and mounts about like you're talking about. It is a poor mans pro touring bar set up for sure.

So I see everyone stating that they installed the 2WD version and that the 4WD version will not fit. Is yours in fact off of a 4WD?

I found one yesterday,of of a 95 2wd 2dr blazer.No as stated the 4wd or the 4dr blazer will not work.I took about 5" off both arms and drilled-slotted some holes right through the bar and have the links going to the beafy part of the frame.No welding for me I can barely weld 2 exhaust pipes together.The bar is a hair under 15/16 thick {about 22mm}

How well does this work compared to the HR bar is there anyone goin fast using one of these? Is the HR/Spoohn bar any thicker in diameter?