Looking for a step by step to tuning alky

Blowen LT1

Sorry i no a am one of the "OTHERS" but looking into alky for my SC LT1..what i am looking for is a real step bu step on tuning alky what are good tuning tools to have...

thx

Get ahold of a guy named Gary (yellow95) I think his handle is.... He has a Cobra with a kit on his car and I guess it is working good. he also has a website. I will see if I can pull it up.

Bo

Since when are Cobra's and Chevy's the same?

Bo your slippin ;)

Tuning has a lot to do with goals, amount of power increase wanted, type of kit(DIY, SMC, Mine, etc), intended goals, etc...

Your asking for a blanket statement that has too many variables.

Tools, a scan tool to monitor engine knock activity, a way of monitoring air fuel, and could help an exhuast gas temp guage.

Then we have a dyno, or track to test the vehicle.

get more specific, you'll get more specific answers.

HTH

Ok

-how do you base line on pump gas or race gas
-where should you start with timing..what is to much timing.could someone post there timing curve (LT1)
-should the AFR stay at 11.8-12.1 on any fuel
-what are things to look for (BAD)
-is a egt meter a good tool and where do you like to see it...#
-what are the pro's & con's
-what are things NOT to do
-what are thing to do..

How would you baseline without? Answer this. You have your answer how to with.

-where should you start with timing..what is to much timing.could someone post there timing curve (LT1)

Where would you start without alky. Answer this...

That is the typical target. What your combination may ultimately like.. my LT1 crystal ball is broken :)

Knock

Depends where its placed in the exhuast. Run the car with 100+octane and get your basline EGT. Then drop octane and run alcohol. EGT on alky will be slightly lower. Use your WB to set your AF ratio. EGT will spike with knock activity.

Pro's... higher boost, higher timing, cheaper gas, cooling, even out combustion, stop detonation, etc.

Cons.. running out. Improper design of system.

Run out of alcohol, dont run high volumes of water, dont use cheap lines, cheap activation switches, cheap componenets trying to save a buck. It will come back at you with a vengenance.

-what are thing to do..

Learn how to tune your motor. Learn how to read plugs, learn how to tell spark knock is occurring, Learn to monitor whats happening and why. Summary.. educate yourself.

HTH

Originally posted by Razor

Bo your slippin ;)

What...... My tranny?:p

Speaking of tranny's ... When you gonna get that thing running again? I am ready to go man. :cool:

I am bringing a video recorder to capture some of the carnage!:eek: Prolly thursday night or Sat. morning.

Lemme know

Bo

I broke the OD planetary on my tranny. So I just got the parts on order end of last week. I'll be down for another two weeks easy. Sucks...

I broke JD's GN tranny on Teusday as well... I guess it didnt like 28 PSI :mad: :D

Ohh well.. gotta wait it out.. probably ready when it starts to heat up..

Call me if your heading to the track. I can push cars with the best of them ;)

I do the video taping..

Yes, but in a positive way. You will make more power with lower EGT's. If you keep the AFR 11.9-12.0 you'll note the egt's will be around 1500-1520's on a Buick becuase the probe is mounted before the turbo.

That is what I always thought. Someone said it fouled the O2, so I was just checking. Thanks.

I found this on LS1 tech

I normaly tune 1 point richer than my target a/f since the alky makes the a/f leaner than what the wideband is showing. The wideband is setup to read gasoline stoich which is different than alky stoich. That gets you a rough tune and then you can dyno/track to see what a/f makes the most power for your setup. I learned this from the Innovative Motorsports website who makes the LM-1 wideband that I use

(there are a few cars over there that are over 700rwhp and they are tuning 11.0, 11.5 AFR this is rich right "safty" or do you go richer when you start making BIG power)

What i am under standing here is he tunes 11.0 on pump gas then the ALky will lean it out to the 11.5 ish then you have to play with the AFR from there...

is this right

your should i tune for 12.0ish pump gas and keep it there with the Alky..

How would you baseline without? Answer this. You have your answer how to with.

Well i could put the 8lbs pulley on and tune the AFR (pump gas) or small pulley (race gas 100+) and tune the AFR and timing

Where would you start without alky. Answer this...

I think 24* is a starting point for us

That is the typical target. What your combination may ultimately like.. my LT1 crystal ball is broken

Yes i under stand this is a "target AFR" you have to play to find the sweat spot

Knock

I was think of tuning the knock sensor of

Depends where its placed in the exhuast. Run the car with 100+octane and get your basline EGT. Then drop octane and run alcohol. EGT on alky will be slightly lower. Use your WB to set your AF ratio. EGT will spike with knock activity.

Where would i put this in my car, should i look into this tool or is the dyno fine for tuning or is this a good tool to help find "max power"

Pro's... higher boost, higher timing, cheaper gas, cooling, even out combustion, stop detonation, etc.

Cons.. running out. Improper design of system.

Run out of alcohol, dont run high volumes of water, dont use cheap lines, cheap activation switches, cheap componenets trying to save a buck. It will come back at you with a vengenance.

-what are thing to do..

Learn how to tune your motor. Learn how to read plugs, learn how to tell spark knock is occurring, Learn to monitor whats happening and why. Summary.. educate yourself.

No, you dont turn the knock sensor off.

If your base timing is 24 degree's.. then with alky.. you may get away with a few additional points. Things that will change this is amount being sprayed. The more you get into the motor, the more it can handle without knock.

Put your 8lb pulley and dial in the motor on alcohol. Once this is done, then put your smaller pulley... the delivery of alcohol will increase if using my controller and get you really close. Then tune in the smaller pulley. While monitoring knock activity.

The EGT can be placed on a header or collector. And used as a reference. If the numbers on the EGT climb abnormally.. bet there is knock. You can watch your EGT on the dyno and see how it responds. Then when you put the car on the track, it will replicate those conditions unless its knocking.

HTH

If all goes well with AI on my GN, I plan to do it to my LT1 TA when I put a turbo kit on it :D

so do I need a wideband and an egt meter or just an egt meter? Or should I do my initial dyno work with an egt meter and a wideband hooked up until I get an idea of the exhaust temps in comparision to a/f ratios?

Originally posted by qwiketz
so do I need a wideband and an egt meter or just an egt meter? Or should I do my initial dyno work with an egt meter and a wideband hooked up until I get an idea of the exhaust temps in comparision to a/f ratios?

Run good gas like 100 unleaded, so we know the motor has plenty of octane.. watch the EGT climb under WOT.. tune the car on the Dyno looking at your AFR and EGT.

Once you get to the track, keep your EGT's in line with what was being run on the dyno. And ween the motor from 100 octane to 91/93 and observe same EGT's. Now timing can also change EGT's.. so watch for patterns.

Thats tuning.. look at what makes the most power and doesnt make the motor knock. Playing with the variables(fuel,alky,timing,boost)

The only difference is now your 3 dimensional(fuel,boost,timing) has another dimension added(alcohol)

Reading plugs also can show a lot..

HTH,

Alcohol is very forgiving if you end up spraying too much. Typical problem is the motor will drop in power, but not detonate. Its not like nitrous that things go to meltdown when you go overboard.