Looking for Methanol

6SENSE

Where should I look for some Methanol?

I found some "Methyl-Ethyl" at Home Depot, and was told [in another thread] that it was Methanol...................but then I was told that it wasnt.

I would really like to give Methanol a try....if I could find some.

Thanks.

Look in your yellow pages for auto racing. Call a local speed shop. I get mine at a place that sells drag race stuff.

they sell it at walgreens etc, windshield wiper fluid has methanol. It's a mix really (50% water and 50% meth)

Windshield wash mixture amounts vary, 20-50%... I'd say 30% is the norm.

You can also buy Heet, fuel system drier, it is ~99% methanol.

Originally posted by Red Canyonero
You can also buy Heet, fuel system drier, it is ~99% methanol.
Hey, I didnt know that. Only thing is, those bottles are pretty small, wonder how many Id have to get to make a tankful:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link boostm3.

I also know of a couple of speed shops around that I can check.

Thanks.

>>Windshield wash mixture amounts vary, 20-50%... I'd say 30% is the norm.<<

Windshield wash mixture is ideal if you like running water/methanol solutions like I do. The only problem is that I have yet to see any of the bottles with content labels which give actual percentages; just substances.

Originally posted by boostm3
>>Windshield wash mixture amounts vary, 20-50%... I'd say 30% is the norm.<<

Windshield wash mixture is ideal if you like running water/methanol solutions like I do. The only problem is that I have yet to see any of the bottles with content labels which give actual percentages; just substances.

Go online, you can usually find the MSDS for the different name brand ones (Peak etc), and you'll usually see the methanol content by volume. Methanol has an only slightly lower sp. gravity than water, so for all practical purposes weight percentage will be the same as a by volume rating.

Wow I pay 12.50 for 5 gallons at the track.. shipping is a bit steep at www.buyracegas.com..but hey thats what it costs to ship..

Methanol is the prefered race fuel of dragsters.. since its 2.50 a gallon..half of the price of race gas. So find the dragsters..you'll find the methanol.