You can type here any text you want

Looking for painting tips.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87we410877

Is there a thread or link that explains the basics and how to's of painting a car from start to finish? I have the basic idea but would like to read up on the do's and dont's so i dont f' it up. Also looking to read differences in clear coat finishes and one stage finishes. Thanks alot.

re

Stage one you got everything all mixed in, cheaper in terms of cost due to clear already in but if you get a sag while shooting..well anyway.

id do 2 stage "U" and go with good name like PPG, deltron etc dont look on Ebay for earl schiebs hand me down, ya get what ya pay for.
Base is like satin finish and you can fix what you dont like but must shoot clear within so many hrs, clear multiple coats if ya like
I have 7 clear on my 76

prep is 90% and remove doors to shoot inside jam and under

but never forget your primer that will make or break finish.
seen guys skimp on primer and use top of line Uthanes and wala big oops

sorry not real detailed but i could set you up with complete list and costs if you like with all options.

I shot the 61 in pic with good old Laq 12 coats and 100 hrs of hand rubbing.....inbetween coats..lol not really but it felt like it

Thanks so much. Im going to have to do some reading!!! I painted my brothers 88 lincoln town car today with one stage midnight blue. Came out pretty good with the exception of gnats in the paint. hahah. Im going to wet sand it tomorrow and see how it looks. I'll post pics of the work. For my first, im happy.

Don't use PPG paint and you'll be fine! :rolleyes:

Ouch..lol

The best product sprayed in the worst conditions will give a bad finish, you always have to account for where your shooting, I have downdraft setup in my garage with satjet guns and the outside dewpoint as well as picking bug wings out cause they love a good high

Some dupont i like, some basf, the prob is people learn from one product and then apply same tech to another and have problems with atomization or what not.

i dont do it for a livin so im not mr brain when it comes to all the in's and out's but ive done a few projects.

Heres some pics. It was dark so they came out bad but you can get the idea. It is Midnight Blue metalic. These are before wet sanding and compounding.

Attachments

• kevis car 006.jpg
    kevis car 006.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 209
  • kevis car 007.jpg
    kevis car 007.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 216
Ouch..lol

The best product sprayed in the worst conditions will give a bad finish, you always have to account for where your shooting, I have downdraft setup in my garage with satjet guns and the outside dewpoint as well as picking bug wings out cause they love a good high

Some dupont i like, some basf, the prob is people learn from one product and then apply same tech to another and have problems with atomization or what not.

i dont do it for a livin so im not mr brain when it comes to all the in's and out's but ive done a few projects.

I just say don't use PPG paint because it's crap. It use to be good at one time. There is about 6 body shops in the area I'm good friends with the owners. All used PPG at one time. Now only one uses it. And he's on the fence to dump it. He gets cars that come back with the paint coming off them. You can take a air gun and blow the paint right off the car weeks later! :eek: PPG keeps blaming the painters, the shop, the prep work, but it's their crap paint. Don't even think about using PPG on rubber. Drive to fast and your paint will fly right off the car. Sometimes you get lucky but when 5 shops jump ship within a 2 year period there is a problem. Ever watch OCC? Just look for the huge PPG banner with the red line going thru it! BASF is good stuff. Siemens makes some great brands but yea.. if you don't want to worry about your paint blowing off stay away from any PPG paints!

wow

I have good friend whos a rep for ppg, i'll have to ask him whats up with the crap..lol

But like I stated I dont do it for a living so Im not one to stand by it if its crap, i'll take your word for it if you have a few buddies that do it for a living.

But with the enviorment thing its all evolutionary technology and thier in the labs trying to re-invent. Even though its binders and pigment the trick now is to make it so it doesnt kill any daisys.

And with re-inventing comes a new learning curve BUT to just toss somthing out into the market under same label and to say
(here ya go its great stuff!) then it flys off going down the road ..lol well shame on who then?

I use PPG, and have never had it blow off. The only ones that have problems with adhesion are Sherwin Williams and Dupont from what I have used. PPG is the same it was years ago. I bet the shops around you changed because another paint company offered them a better deal. With the way insurance companies, and work in general are now, cheaper paint products are a good way to stay in business. PPG is on the top of my list, and I am a collision tech for a living.

A single stage finish will chalk out in time, while a clear coat will shine alot longer. The final finish also depends on the surface underneath. If you are shooting over an old Lacquer finish, even if you prime it all, it will die back later. This is why a perfect finish is better left to a pro. Just because a garage job looks good the day after, doesn't mean it will still look the same in a year, when you have to pay more to have a shop strip it all off and paint it. I see these $50 garage paint job threads and get sick. The job you pay for is not for the results you get the day after, it is the results you get 5 or 10 years after.

it was just for fun. i would never attmept this on any of my turbo buicks. The paint i used was Omni.

Always wanted to ask a painter, I have a 87 GN with the original paint, When you wash the GN it looks like you can just walk into the paint, I have a 04 SSR and there is a big diff. in the look and feel of the paint, I just got a 07 Grand Cherokee two days ago, It is black, You put the brand new Jeep beside the 20 year old GN and the GN blows it away, Also I have a pin head place on the hood of the Jeep from driving it already that goes to the bare medal, I have 9,000+ miles on the GN with nothing like that. So was the paint that much better 20-50 years ago or the painters or what

Dunno what the factorys are spraying these days, maybe some sort of modified acrylic, although the the 2 stage urethanes are sweet I heard they used Laquer well into the 80's and for sure you cant beat multiple wet sanded coats then hand rubbed. the depth is unmistakable.

but im just a part time when it comes to paint just ask my old lady...she still waitin on the bath room to get a coat..lol

Back