You can type here any text you want

Looking for suggestions on a camshaft and was a walbro 255 a good choice?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboterror

Im reaching out to my fellow turbo brothers for yet another sugestion. It has been a long long road but my car is finally slowly coming together. It was a total rusted, ratty pos when I found it. Im looking into replacing the cam in my 86 gn, who makes one that has a aggressive, choppy sound so maybe those silly kids wont pester me with their hondas when I take it out.

Who makes one and where would I source it? I dont want something thats going to totally kill my drive ability. My car was barely running and has finally crapped out, I suspect the fuel pump because it no longer cycles on, it is getting power as I verified with a test light. I just ordered a genuine walbro 255 pump, was that a good choice. I am stock for now but have many many mods planned.

Ive attached a pic of my car after I painted it and color sanded it, I also sourced the front ta wheels from all over the county and made the center caps(well kind of, Ill be glad to explain how I did those on the cheap). Let me know what you think(sorry so small its from my crappy cell phone). Just did a vacuum conversion(with some pointer from you all), all thats left I think is exhaust and interior!!!! Thanks guys!:)

Attachments

• gn after paint.jpg
    gn after paint.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 75
nothing wrong with the walbro 255 pump. its been a proven pump for almost 10 years. As for the cam choice, whats wrong with the current cam? if nothing leave it alone. If your looking for a good vendor to call and get a cam from, most all vendors on the board are awsome for this. i would call nick @ www.arizonagn.net

There is no cam that will be choppy and not crush drivability. By putting a cam like that in there you will give those Hondas a huge advantage. Big choppy cam equals big sloppy turd performance. The cam is one of the hardest parts to complement after the fact.

nothing wrong with the walbro 255 pump. its been a proven pump for almost 10 years. As for the cam choice, whats wrong with the current cam? if nothing leave it alone. If your looking for a good vendor to call and get a cam from, most all vendors on the board are awsome for this. i would call nick @ www.arizonagn.net
I suspect that a lobe may be worn but I cant confirm this till its running again and I do more trouble shooting. It was popping bach through the exhaust but several things could cause that.
I will look into contacting some vendors and get their take on a good cam choice, I would prefer a cam to support my mods and sound good too although I prefer function. I ordered the walbro because Ive heard nothing but good things about it, we will see how it goes.

There is no cam that will be choppy and not crush drivability. By putting a cam like that in there you will give those Hondas a huge advantage. Big choppy cam equals big sloppy turd performance. The cam is one of the hardest parts to complement after the fact.

Yes the turbo regal is a different animal from the all the mustangs and that 70 chevelle I had. The guy I bought it from mustve put the biggest cam he could without fly cutting the pistons. And yes it def hurt the car, it wouldnt even idle in gear at a stop sign. I traded down to a 270 comp cam and it ran better. I def do not want to make it run slower, Ive amassed a collection of parts and want them to work in unison. I told a civic driver just the other day that was pestering me when I was out in my svo that I knew a quick and easy way to double the value of his car. Put a few gallons of gas in it, rofl.

Just FYI, with these cars bigger is not always better. Sometimes the smaller cmponents actaully perform much better. Cams are a prime example of this. Besides I prefer the Gn tradition of walking softly but carry big whoopin stick.

Just FYI, with these cars bigger is not always better. Sometimes the smaller cmponents actaully perform much better. Cams are a prime example of this. Besides I prefer the Gn tradition of walking softly but carry big whoopin stick.
Yes that is very true, I definitely like the walk softly but carry a big stick mantra. I think Ill stick with a stock cam or one thats not radical. The funny thing is I have several "play prettys" and every time I take one out those dumb kids with the imports pester me(I guess wanting to impress their pimple faced girlfriends).
Even when I would have my chevelle out with a 671 sticking through the hood they would still think they had a chance( ran 630s in the eighth mile) Funny thing is when you mention racing at a track legitimately they dont want to. I guess being beat in public at a track with plenty of people to see isnt appealing.

When I was a kid growing up I always loved the mystique and the appeal of those black buicks, I always said I would get one once I got older. Whenever I did see one the LAST thing I wanted to do was try and race it, I wanted to look at it up close and drool,Ive always thought that they were a sexy,mysterious type car.

The general consensus is to not run a radical choppy cam so I will def stay smaller and do mods that compliment one another. Hopefully Ill have it running over the weekend, the tracking number says my walbro is at the usps facility in nashville!! May need some pointers on putting that in but hopefully it will go smoothly.

IMHO I would use a stock cam unless you have ported heads, bigger turbo etc. Typical sizes are stock, 206/206, 212/212 and 218/218 etc.

IMHO I would use a stock cam unless you have ported heads, bigger turbo etc. Typical sizes are stock, 206/206, 212/212 and 218/218 etc.
I hope mine not wiped, if it isnt Im going to leave alone. My car will just be a bolt on car for now, starting with a hot wire kit and a fuel pump first,both of which are on the way. The general opinion is to stay with it if its not trashed and Im inclined to go along with that.

Many stock cammed TBs run in the 11s.

i am also redoing the engine and it appears from research of street cam choices it keeps coming back to the stock cam and then the classic 206/206 proceeding to the 204/212. i have not been able to locate any testing info on cams so its gonna be the 204 from feedback searches.

I used to run a a 68 charger with 426 hemi 8/71 under driven and predator carbs. Shows you how old I am.

There was always the piece of crap camaro with the sir shocks, G60's and tin cans for mufflers with the red bullet light attached to the rear diff thinking he was faster than you.

I had a nice cool evening this one pulled up next to me was down in the valley it was foggy out and you could see the fog disappearing into the stacks. Knot head just didnt understand. Their cars may have changed but the stupid still hasnt

By the way the 206 / 206 is a great cam, whether flat or roller.

If your keeping your stock heads 206/206. I just put champion irons on my car with a 206/212 cam you can notice it has a cam. Cant wait to get the new converter in and try it out.

I used to run a a 68 charger with 426 hemi 8/71 under driven and predator carbs. Shows you how old I am.

There was always the piece of crap camaro with the sir shocks, G60's and tin cans for mufflers with the red bullet light attached to the rear diff thinking he was faster than you.

I had a nice cool evening this one pulled up next to me was down in the valley it was foggy out and you could see the fog disappearing into the stacks. Knot head just didnt understand. Their cars may have changed but the stupid still hasnt

By the way the 206 / 206 is a great cam, whether flat or roller.
Haha oh yes the hot rod camaro, air shocks, wide tires, glasspacks. Did you know each performance sticker on those were worth about 8 hp each? Sometimes I wondered if they were endorsed by them or something.
I think the responses are pretty much to keep the stock cam or if I change it dont go with one so radical. I have heard good things about the 206 and I was worried mine was wiped but I have it running great now!! 426 hemi with a 871? You were one lucky dude!!

i am also redoing the engine and it appears from research of street cam choices it keeps coming back to the stock cam and then the classic 206/206 proceeding to the 204/212. i have not been able to locate any testing info on cams so its gonna be the 204 from feedback searches.
Yes I have been hearing good things about both, If I do decide to change mine out I will def go with one of those. I intially thought mine was wiped but it is not so Im going to leave it alone for now. I have it running good now!!

Back