You can type here any text you want

looking to buy gauges soon

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
I want water temp and oil pressure.

My problem is all the water temp gauges I see go up to 250 degrees or there about and most of the gauge is from 180-250. My car rarely get above 180 so I am looking for a gauge that is more like 150-210 and evenly spaced. Anyone know of such a beast?

Same for oil pressure. Do I want 0-80, or 0-100, or 0-150? I think 0-80 should work.

Any suggestions on what you have and do/don't like please let me know.

Bill

Most Autometer temp gauges are 100 to 250 with 150 being the middle mark.

Most of the oil pressure gauges I see are 0-100.

You can find all of the Autometer gauges at Jegs.com or Summitracing.com

They don't have much for TR's but when it comes to stuff that works on all cars, they have it all.

I bought Autometer 2.0625" Phanton mechanical. Water temp 120 - 240 and oil pressure 0 - 100

My oil goes to 70 when cold, so an 80 should cover everything, you may go higher if you rengine is a little "younger"

When I first put the water temp gauge in, it hit 200 and then dropped to 170 ish real quick. I bought the lower range one (120 - 240) so I can see a temperature chage sooner, know what I mean?

I doubt you'll find a temp gauge in the range you are looking for, what other gauge companies are out there?

AutoMeter
VDO
Does Sun still make gauges?

kinda limited

Only problem with the oil pressure gauge your talking about wlaukaitis is what if he rebuilds the motor, or puts the gauge in a different car later down the line that has great oil pressure...It's not like gauges go bad really.

Sun gauges are crap these days, PERSONNALLY I don't like VDO's because of the fat pointer they have makes it look like something off of a fisher price toy...I have no doubt they are accurate gauge though.

I just bought a 3 gauge set - Volts, Temp & Oil Pressure at Autozone. Sunpro brand - white faces. About $30. They are small 1 1/2". The temp guage goes from 100 to 250 and oil from 0 to 100. Should fit nicely at the front of the console cubbyhole. I'll find out if Sun is "crap".

Jack

what about digital gauges? Anyone have temp and oil psi in the console cubby?

If so do you have pictures? Would be nice to know a number rather than guess at what point in the range you are.

Just not sure the digital will look good with everything else being analog.

Wish I had the $$ to spend on the GNX-style gauge package :-)

Originally posted by turb
I just bought a 3 gauge set - Volts, Temp & Oil Pressure at Autozone. Sunpro brand - white faces. About $30. They are small 1 1/2". The temp guage goes from 100 to 250 and oil from 0 to 100. Should fit nicely at the front of the console cubbyhole. I'll find out if Sun is "crap".

Jack

Don't get me wrong they work and they are better then nothin, but they constructed pretty cheap...I've seen Autometers get beat up pretty good and still work, and I've seen Sun gauges that just up and die, tachs that are like 1500 RPM off all of a sudden and for no apparent reason.

Digital would be nice, although the red LED type would look out of place. If someone made a nice backlit LCD, this way it would kinda go with a car Stereo face. I have seen pics of cars on this site with the LED gauges.

I hear ya, slow91z, I think a 100 psi oil gauge will cover all bases. I was close to buying the autogage set with oil, temp and I guess volts. But I figured ah, what the heck. I have heard that an ammeter is a bad idea on a TR.

anyone make any digital gauges that are blue?

I agree about the whole digital look not fitting in.

I will prolly get the 0-100 oil psi and smallest range water temp gauge I can find.

Still would like to see any picts of digital gaues down on the console if anyone has any.

gage

For the GOOD of the gage, it should have the capability to read 2 times the amount it will usually see. Should never peg a gage.

That's a pretty good rule Lee...I'll have to remember that.

You might want to take a look at the Westach dual gauges. They have both a 0-80 and 0-100 oil and their water temp goes to 240. However, they will custom make anything you want. Here's a link to the dual oil/water gauge on their web site. They aren't cheap but I have found them accurate and reliable.

http://www.frostalarm.com/cat/p14.html

You probably already know this but the scanmaster will also show your water temp on it. Might save you a place for a different gauge unless you just want it where you can see it quickly. I've got one on mine but as I was installing it, I looked at the scanmaster mounted on my steering column and kinda felt like Dooohhhh...... :D :D :D

I have T-link but rarely have the laptop in the car.

I want two gauges down on the console as I think they look cool and should have been there stock :-)

Have boost on the a-pillar and have an audible knock dectector up under the dash so all I feel I am missing is oil and water. Also have a digital o2 meter to put in the glove box until I need to see it.

i have some silver face autometers, i thik here called pro something anothers, very very nice gauges. i'll check to see what they are and correct it.

my water temp goes from 100-250 i think

and oil pressure is 0-80, plenty enough.

autometer is probably the best brand out there, but you'll pay for it. luckly for me they were in the car when i bought it.

vdo is very good to, i've heard they make gauges for porsche, can't be too bad.

i'd probably get some from summit if i had to do it, they are reasonably priced and have a good warrantee, so if they do suck you can take them back.

go electric not mechanical, save yourself some hastles.

I really like the FS water temp gauge but it is 2 5/8. Does anyone make a console holder that will hold that size gauge?

I bought some

I was not very origina. Went with VDO oil 0-80 and water 100-250. Got them as a set from Postons and save about 25 bucks.

Oil is straight forward enough but the water temp has me confused.

They say to remove a block plug and put the sender there. Is that better than replacing the stock sending unit? And, in looking at this picture online....

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=VDO-323900D&view=257#largerimage

it seems I need a spade connector to attach to the sending unit? Can I just solder a wire to the end?

Suggestions?

Originally posted by Renthorin
what about digital gauges? Anyone have temp and oil psi in the console cubby?

If so do you have pictures? Would be nice to know a number rather than guess at what point in the range you are.

Just not sure the digital will look good with everything else being analog.
Here's a pic of my digital guages in the center console
Its oil pressure and trans temp
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier/images/gn-console-pod-edited.jpg

And the entire bunch:
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier/images/gn-all-gauges.jpg

I put all of the digital ones down in the console because they are out of place next to the analog ones. I think the digital ones are nice for certain things, for fp they are no good. For temp, they seem to work well, they are slow to resond to changes.

I think Autometer makes the best most accurate, most reliable gauges that I have found. I won't be buying any Westache guages again, hih priced and could never get accurate reading..you'd think they would have that down since they make aircraft guages :eek:

Back