Looking to buy some slicks...need advice

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
I'm looking for my first pair of slicks for the car and was wondering what should I go with. I hear everyone loves M/T's and that's what I am leaning towards going. But what size slick should I get? I want to use my stock GN wheels for them. My car is capable of low 12's with the stock turbo maxed out and I plan to upgrade the turbo and injectors sometime in the near future. I keep hearing that the faster guys should go with the 28" taller tire to give more rpm. Well would a 28" tire hurt someone like me? I might use them for low 12's and then maybe jump to high 11's with a turbo and injector change in the future. What exact size do you guys recommend for me?

MT et Drag's. 28 x 9 should fit perfectly on stock rims, and according to UNGN should improve you ET's and mph if you are already in the low 12's and closing in on the high 11's.

28 X 9's work great on my car (they are really only 27" tall) and have run 60's in the 1.4x range

if you are concerned about the height, 26X8.5 will work

yeah this is my first encounter with slicks and don't really understand the sizes...so with me running mid to low 12's (i know i will, just a matter of time) i should go with 28x9 m/t et drags? they are i believe $160 from jegs and these will fit nicely on the stock rims??? i won't need any wheel spacers will i?

they'll work great and fit just fine on stock rims.......you will NOT be traction limited

Sorry to disagree with the other replies, but I'm probably going to wholeheartedly recommend 26" tall tires for you, buddy.

Have you actually run the car yet? With what tires? If so, what were the peak RPM's in 1,2,3?

Bear in mind that going from a 26" to 28" tall tire is going to reduce your overall drive ratio by about 7.5%. You're going to have to launch the car harder to get it to 60', and overcome the reduced gear ratio. Ideally, you'll want to see your 3rd gear trap RPM just over 5000, and most stock-turbo cars just won't do it, unless you're running a higher-than-stock stall speed converter.

I have never seen a stock turbo'd car go faster or quicker on 28's. I have, however, seen dozens of cars go quicker on 26's than 28's, pound for pound. You'll need the shorter tire to get any significant track RPM out of the car.

Just my .02.....

slicks

I have to agree with QuickWrench to a certain extent. I don't know how many people told me to buy 28" tall tires. On and on that's all I heard...28" tall tires will get you where you want to go.
Well, after a little research and many runs of test and tune my 26" tall slicks were taking me down the track faster AND getting better 60 foot times than ALL of my friends cars with 28" tall slicks.
Lesson here...it really depends on the car, setup, and what RPM you want to turn going across the line. HTH...

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports
(315)298-1000
jcofolla@twcny.rr.com
We MEET or BEAT any tire/wheel price!
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Nitto & BF Goodrich drag radial authorized dealer.
->M/T, Hoosier & Phoenix slick dealer.
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS/NX nitrous systems authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer