Loose part in factory updated 87 power steering fluid reservoir?

1KWIKSIX

I've got an updated 87 NOS Power Steering Fluid Reservoir (still in the factory box) and plan on installing it over the winter.
When I removed the PS cap on the unit, I noticed a loose part flopping around on the inside which appears to be attached to & rotates on the inner tube that sticks out .
It flops about 45degrees left or right pivoting on the stub that protrudes.
I'd post some pictures, but it's very difficult to see let alone get a decent shot....without a bore scope it would be next to impossible to shoot a pic of this on the inside.

I can't figure out what this is or its purpose?
Is this normal? If anyone can comment on this feature, I'd appreciate your input as I am leary of installing this unit in its present condition.

thanks in advance.

dave

I've posted some pics of the inside of this part so you can have a better idea of what I'm asking.

This is a new GM #25531140 Power Steering Fluid Reservoir

Can anyone explain what this is? What purpose does it serve?
Is this normally found in the PS fluid reservoir? I've never noticed it in the few that I've had a look inside.

Thanks

dave

Attachments

• power steering resvr1.jpg
    power steering resvr1.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 115
  • power steering resvr2.jpg
    power steering resvr2.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 106
  • power steering resvr3.jpg
    power steering resvr3.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 100
Got a message from a well known member who was able to confirm that this is normal & the reservoir is the updated one from GM . Apparently, this pivoting internal piece somehow reduces / prevents foaming of the PS fluid & also aids in reducing PS pump noise.
So all is good.

Thanks ;):)