Lost to a Vette, Learned a good lesson....

Strikeeagle,

Try it! I haven't done it at 55, but around town at 35 mph. The idea is to drag the brakes (not lock them up) enough to maintain a constant speed, while building boost. On a roll, I can do it and wham 20 lbs of boost without *any* lag.

Mike

Wow I never knew that... I have to try that with mine. 86 brick I was going to mod my GN but its too MINT :) I dont want to ruin this car.

I think the rolling powerbrake trick is kind of useless with a stock turbo Rom. It works great (usually) with bigger turbos.

Man, I wanna see some video of the 55mph powerbrake.
Find someone with a camera, that would be some footage to get us thru the winter months coming.
I have read a few posts that have mentioned that technique, how the boost comes on HARD! Gotta be fun!!!!

I'll have to thrown on my old 26"stock size tires on the original rims instead of the 28" BFG Drag Radials I have on now, then I won't need to powerbrake at 55 to light'em up......just drop the hammer and they're up in smoke :)

Nice meeting you Ted other nite :) What did you think of my friends vette?

His car has gone 11.00@126 on drag radials hooking 1.57 60ft times. He has little milder version of my setup...3.73's vs my 4.10's and different heads/cam specs/nos.
He ordered et streets and skinneys for it so maybe it will touch the 10's :)

ROM

Not related but reminded me of one time..

Originally posted by Epitome
I think the rolling powerbrake trick is kind of useless with a stock turbo Rom. It works great (usually) with bigger turbos.

I was rolling down a single lane street behind a riced civic that said "wicked"in big letters and the back window one night that kept looking in his mirror and revving me.Traffic was moving at only about 30 mph so I let a little space betwwen us and power brake and did a nice rolling burnout.Needless to say riceboy was pretty respectful to the Black after that.:D

I have also done the rolling power brake to build boost. I can build around 18 - 20 pounds of boost from a roll, any more boost than that and the tires will start to spin badly. I have done it just for ****s and giggles on a couple of occasions. Once I tried to get a Viper GTS to race me so I did a 55 - 65 mph rolling burnout in front of him for a couple of seconds. He wouldn't bite. I must have scared the daylights out of him. :D

Sounds like you guys have some really nice cars.

Bob

White 93 6spd Supra, targa top, no wing, GReddy T78 turbo, GReddy 4 row intercooler, GReddy/BLITZ shorty D.P. combo, DEI thermal turbine wrap, DEI thermal header / D.P. wrap, GReddy Type R wastegate, GReddy Type R BOV, HKS fuel rail, 720cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR, dual in-tank pumps, APEXi N1, GReddy BCC, GReddy Profec B, HKS VPC, APEXi S-AFC, Greddy 52mm boost gauge, GReddy 52mm EGT gauge, Unorthodox cam gears / underdrive pulleys, GReddy turbo timer, B&M shifter, TRD pressureplate, Arizona clutch, TRD strut bar, 255/45 front and 315/35R17 Nitto drag radials out back, Redline Water Wetter, Brembo cross drilled rotors, and Brembo pads

Guys,

Hey is Power-braking the car from a roll whether it's at 35 or 55 mpg damaging/more stressful to your transmission I.E. Converter? Also do you guys think it's safer to manually drop into drive before or after lock-up if at all?

Todd

Hey Rom :)

11.00@126 is a far cry from the "hoping to get into the 11s @ 115" he had said. I told you as I was leaving something was funny :) I was tuned for 10.90s-11.00s@123-124 so going from a roll was never gonna work. The other part of the equation is that even from a 30 mph roll I need 3/4 of a second to bring up the boost without powerbraking, so he was long gone by that time even if I had comparable mph, which I didn't. No excuses, his car was fast, when the boost came up and he kept walking away instead of my reeling him in as usual I knew something was up. We stopped and talked afterward, he was a good guy, I just know to go from a stop next time. When are you guys gonna be at the track?......I'll make a special trip with some friends :)

Ted July 27 e town is haveing a cartek corvette challenge and we all plan on being there to race. You should come check it out. This is an afternoon session and gates open at 3:00 pm.

Sorry I didnt respond sooner I never got an email notification.

Re: GN-C5-RACER

Originally posted by 86brick
You mentioned your putting in a 422ci motor... Would that be the stroker motor made by MTI that makes about 585hp??? I think on motor MTI got there Z07 Vette to go a 10.8 or 10.6 @133mph... There is a guy named SW that owns a bunch of fast cars out in Texas that had a Z07 with the 422ci motor built by MTI and with a 125 shot of N20 it ran a 9.8 @145mph with a 6spd tranny!!!:eek:

Hi - just registered tonight, and *really* like this board. Are some seriously fast GNs here judging by the times. Also, my car is undergoing surgery to get a 200-4R in it (which is also why I am on this board).

I have one of the MTI 422s. On motor alone, it depends upon setup and vehicle weight (obviously) as to how fast they go. A 422 in a black T/A recently ran a 10.69 at a 3450 race weight. Typical times on these motors are in the 10.6-10.8 range in good weather at near full (street trim) weight, and low 11's in crappy hot/humid weather. Strip out weight of the car, put in a big stall, and times drop to the high 9's/low 10's if raceweight can get down to near 3050 lbs or so.

Spray the motor, and you are in the 9's, regardless of tranny type and race weight. Now, if we could only reliably boost these motors like the GNs . . . .

Ted my car was run last saturday for the first time with ET streets and front skinnies. The temp was 85 degrees, Bar : 29.85, humidty of 85 % and a DA of 2000 feet< not ideal racign conditions>. The car hooked 1.66 in the 60 ft and ran 11.47 @ 119.5 then got kicked off for lack of roll bar. There were 2 other vettes there with the same setup as me that hooked better and went 11.20's-11.30's @ 120-122 and 60 ft time of 1.54. Cars ran great for these poor weather conditions which only means the cool fall air and DA's of -1500 feet will bring nice 10 second passes with 4-5 more mph. Carteks 415 powered c5 ran 10.70@128mph , a vette doctor 382 powered ls1 ran 11.20@124, MTI automatic 422 ran low 11's, and another 422 powered automatic from vette doctors ran 10.90.

Here is a link to my run.
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/eug//my00c5_1.avi.wmv

If it doesnt work try saving it to your hard drive and then play it.

If that doesnt work try installing this DIVX player its free
http://www.divx.com/

I was just thinking of emailing you to see how you guys made out :) I think your friend'a name that I raced is Mark. How much of a N20 shot did he use to run that 11.07@126? I'm sure that's what he gave me that night :) Sounds like your car is right on track. Tell your friend I want a rematch from a stop :)

NOS?? He raced you on all motor ...he doesnt even have NOS. This is how fast these cars are on motor. He ran that 11.07 when it was cooler out last year with 3.73's and BFG drag radials. Now he has 4.10's and real slicks so it should be in the 10's. He was running 11.30's in the heat last saturday with 60ft time of 1.60 NO NOS :) All throttle no bottle just a little 346 chevy motor. My car ran so so considering the timing was set lower and the car hasnt yet been dialed in and tuned for track :)

Actually, I knew you guys said it was all motor and that you were going to get nos, but 2 things led me to ask about the nos. 1 As you know, before we raced he said it was a low 12 second car at 115, which is why I wasn't at all afraid of the roll. 2 You said that your car had a few more upgrades than his (at the time) and you just ran 119 mph. If he ran 126 mph, I thought there was a chance he sprayed and lied about it. Now I know heat can make a difference, but 7 mph in a normally aspirated car? I guess it was REALLY humid. Do you think his mph was better because of the 3.73s? He ran a good 60 foot with the 3.73s, why switch? Was his rpm low at the traps? Just curious about your thoughts :)

He ran a higher mph last year because :

1---It was cooler out <negative 1500 density altitude with 40 degree fall air vs saturdays +2000 DA high temps low bar and high humidty> That alone could be 5 tenths and 5 mph difference.

2---He had 3.73 gears. We have noticed that switching from 3.73 to 4.10 slightly lowers the trap speed but helps out the et. Wth the 3.73's he was going through the traps at lower rpms vs the 4.10's that bring the car through the traps right where the motor makes peak hp about 6200 RPM with a rev limiter of 6900.

3---He had drag radials last year vs real slicks. Slicks tend to rob MPH vs a drag radial but reduce the et due to better traction over the drag radial. On a drag radial we could only launch at 3000 RPM but now with these slicks and skinnies we can launch at 5000-6000 RPM and hook 60 ft times in 1.5-1.6