Lost to a Vette, Learned a good lesson....

Epitome

Staff member
Was at Englishtown today. Weather was great and my car was running very well. Best today with mild boost and medium strength timing was 11.21 @ 120.0 (accidentally shifted to 4th gear near end of track so I lost 2-3 mph and some time........DAMN NEW SHIFT LIGHT....also ran an 11.6 @ 87 mph on the brakes trying not to run under 12.0 :) ) Anyway, on the way home I still had half a tank of the good gas and was in that same 11.2 trim. On I95 this blue with white stripes C4 Vette zips down an entrance ramp right next to me, slows down, gets behind me, then nails it up next to me trying to get me to race. My wife was behind us in her car watching the whole thing. Judging by the way the front end came up and the rear squatted when he hit it at 55mph, the car was very healthy and wasn't exactly tuned for cornering. I slow down a little with him next to me waiting for me to make a move. Here is where I made my mistake and will never do it again. I thought I'd really give it to him, so I power braked it at 55mph just to spool the turbo up a bit. When I finally dropped the hammer, the car felt good, but not great and he was slowly pulling by me in that Vette. I got my wits about me, shocked he had gotten me, bumped the boost from 20 to 22 and went after him again. But just as I got next to him he exited to the left, so I just gave him a thumbs up, he gave me one back and I was content with the 11.2 pass earlier in the day. Well, to my shock later, when I got a chance to look at the Felpro, the entire 6 seconds I was racing him, my knock retard was maxed out at 10 degrees! What the hell? First I was scared I had hurt the car, but closer examination revealed perfect O2 readings and the gas was still the good stuff. I think I finally figured out what happened. I stopped to have dinner with my wife and when she got out of the car she said "are you crazy spinning your tires on the highway like that?". Apparently the rolling power brake technique with this much power caused my tires to haze through the whole 6 second race setting off the knock sensor. It didn't feel squirrly at all, but the same thing happened on the road by my house once before. Got knock retard and couldn't figure out why until the next day when I noticed the big, long haze marks on the road. Oh well, chalk it up to experience.....too bad he didn't go against me again though :)

power brake

wow!! never heard of someone power-braking at that type of speed....crazy man but COOL. lol

LOL !! You beat me to this. I was going to post this story also to try and identify who the driver was. I too have a 1986 grand national but its no ways fast as yours. Mine has a few goodies but I refuse to tear it up with modifications since its very clean with only 44,000 miles on it. LOL you were spinning ??? So was I :) I have a 2000 C5 and the suspension is very stiff...its the stock z-51 with thick sway bars. This car handles extremely well :) The squatting you saw was the weight transfer of 500 hp hitting the ground and spinning. It was all in good fun thats why I gave you the thumbs up. I wish we went again I had the NOS button armed this time with 150 shot :)

Man there must have been a lot of racing going on last night, but I'm not sure I raced you. The Vette I raced looked like a Gran Sport, C4 body style. No matter, if you're close by, I'll line'em up with you :) Are you from New Jersey? I'm just over the border in NY by Mahwah. My biggest problem wasn't the spinning actually, it was the huge amount of knock retard (10*) I happened to get from it, which really hurt my power.

Dude that was me.. I had just jumped on the ramp.....we did our lil race and i got off on the left side of the highway :) Yes I am from New Jersey and I have a 422 cube going in soon :)
You have to be careful of these ls-1 motors....they run 11's modified on vettes/camaros/firebirds and on the spray they run 10's all with just heads came and 346 cubes.

Ok, the fact that I actually had someone want to street race must have flustered me :) What the heck are the chances that you are a GN owner? We'll have to try it again....you going to the track anytime soon? I'll show up :)

LOL i challenged you because I never lose in highway racing with my setup :) I give motorcycles a run for the money :) I have a 6-speed and on the move sticks haul ass. Now from a dead stop.. I know for a fact that your gn would beat me if i was running just motor alone no NOS. I know how those gn's 60 foot :) My setup on motor run mid 11's and traps at 121 mph and on the NOS runs 10.50 @ 133.

There is no doubt that Vette hauls ass, but I'm sure you were surprised at how well I stayed with you even with that knock retard :) Even with full out tuning and gas, I think your Vette would hammer me with the 150 nitrous shot from a 55 mph roll, but I think it would be real interesting in a real quarter mile race :) We definitely have to try this again, now that we know each other ;) Where in NJ are you from and what are you doing later today.......grin.

Oh I was very surprised when you stayed with me LOL!! I knew your car had to be high 10....low 11 second runner. I am from Newark NJ . Today I was hoping to go to the track since I missed out yesterday but have a party to go to :(

Well, let's atleast consider a day later this week while the weather is good. My number is 845-351-5699 and my name is Ted :)

Ok Ted sounds like a plan :) I think I have spoken to you at E-town once before. I recall a very fast GN running there and the name Ted sounds familiar of the driver of that fast GN. My name is ROM.

GN-C5-RACER

You mentioned your putting in a 422ci motor... Would that be the stroker motor made by MTI that makes about 585hp??? I think on motor MTI got there Z07 Vette to go a 10.8 or 10.6 @133mph... There is a guy named SW that owns a bunch of fast cars out in Texas that had a Z07 with the 422ci motor built by MTI and with a 125 shot of N20 it ran a 9.8 @145mph with a 6spd tranny!!!:eek:

Re: GN-C5-RACER

Originally posted by 86brick
You mentioned your putting in a 422ci motor... Would that be the stroker motor made by MTI that makes about 585hp??? I think on motor MTI got there Z07 Vette to go a 10.8 or 10.6 @133mph... There is a guy named SW that owns a bunch of fast cars out in Texas that had a Z07 with the 422ci motor built by MTI and with a 125 shot of N20 it ran a 9.8 @145mph with a 6spd tranny!!!:eek:

No the motor is by Cartek. They already have a transam running 11.00 @121 with just heads and cam package ...stock block 346. Their 382 stroker makes 560 HP not too far off from the 585 hp larger 422 MTI. The Cartek 422 should run VERY fast. Should bring a c5 in the low 10's on motor alone. I am familiar with SW and his fast z07 on NOS. MTI 422's in vettes run between 10.80-11.1 @130 mph

arent those cartek blocks prepped or made by agostino? those motors are the wave of the future and can handle gobbs of power. my buddy Tom Byrne just put in a 409" Agostino engine. it went 10.89 @ 130 mph with the stock block and a procharger. should go low 10's high 9's now. nice to have $$$.

Cartek and Agastino are 2 different engine builders and are not related or do business with eachother.

low 10s on motor

That sounds like a really badass motor and with spray you'd be well in the 9's... Wish you the best of luck with the Vette, but you should trying making your GN fast... I gurantee you that the little V6 buick will be a lot cheaper to go fast than the Vette!!! I know guys running well in the 10s and 9s that didn't have to spend a ton of money and they are doing it with many of the stock componets... Stock 3.8 block, heads, intake, rearend, etc... Going fast on a budget is what the TRs are all about, although, you can spend some real money with a Stage 2 motor and run 8s and 7s, but at that point you'll spend a ton of money on any car :D

I've never heard of "power braking" a car at speed, other than to keep it from stalling, but certainly not at 55 MPH. Dunno, but that sounds like a nice way to slow a car down, not speed it up. Gee, I'll have to try that at the track the next time. Maybe I can dip into the 7s???

Originally posted by matt87
arent those cartek blocks prepped or made by agostino? those motors are the wave of the future and can handle gobbs of power. my buddy Tom Byrne just put in a 409" Agostino engine. it went 10.89 @ 130 mph with the stock block and a procharger. should go low 10's high 9's now. nice to have $$$.
Yeah Matt must be nice to have $$$,maybe you have not read you sig in a while..:D :cool:

Strike Eagle- Powerbraking while rolling is a common turbo buick trick to spool the turbo for a better rolling start. My problem was that with the power I was making, 30psi in the tires and a very cold road, the extra boost hitting the rear wheels more aggressively spun them instead of surprising the Vette. I should have just done my normal "drop it into drive and go" start. Like I said before, it was really the 10 degrees of knock retard that hurt me the most. I would not recommend powerbraking mid-run however as you suggest, it may hurt your ET ;)