Lots A Hot Air Bashin Lately! WHAT IS GOING ON!!!

Originally posted by Turbo Riviera
I think my sig says it all...

Of the 3 turbo buicks I owned (all at the same time) I kept the two hot airs.

My Riviera has the following mods: Slicks, boost, air filter, chip & electric fan.

With those mods, I went 13.61 @ 99 MPH in a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE Buick that weighs 300 pounds more than the GN's.

T-Rivis are badass, I remember my first time seeing a Rivi at the yard. I knew they were FWD, but I look under the hood and the engine's not transverse. That was a head scratcher.

Hot air cars encourage enginuity over the intercooled parts, the hot air cars seem to involve more enginuity rather then people throwing parts (eg money) at em like a lot of IC people do. Albeit there are some fundamental flaws in the induction system, but people who use their heads can get around them with some patience, and if the induction system were perfect we'd all be running mid 10s on 20 PSI.

Hot air

I had a 1984 T-Type with Leir Seigler seat,T tops,posi.......
Man the thing was awsome.My favorite thing was about the car was the sound of the turbo spooling up.
I am looking for another clean 84 T-Type.I would trade all of my current toys to get one.

broke1 said:
Why does Lee's car always have to be mentioned??

Its got a Stage block,274 ci,and his car ingests more methanol than Razor.

His car is about as much of a hot air as my 85 GN thats had the 86-87 conversion.

ps,why dont we ask the only 11 second HA replying here how much they have in there setup.turbo6x2,how much do you have invested??

I drove that car for about 6 years, stock block and internals, no alchy and a small turbo with 9" slicks.....11.40's all day long........

Broke 1.....you sure make some stupid ass statements, do a little research before you show your ass again, it's no wonder you're hated on all 3 boards.

I know that I have to change my post because I lost my 84 GN in a shop fire (total loss). It was a beautiful car with a perfect lear interior. I really loved that car and I have seen just about every bolt on that car throught the years. But I found a 1986 Grand National that was in too good of shape and too good of a price to pass up. I still consider myself a Hot Air kind of guy, I was even looking for a really nice 84' to replace the old one when I stumbled across the 86'. It is very true that there is a certain pride to get a hot air to run with the stock I/Ced cars with nothing more than a chip and turning up the boost, and besides I had a better interior than any GN made after 1984 (my opinion of coarse). Like I said, I'm a hotair guy who now happens to own a I/C car, but I would trade to have my 84 back with me in a second. Anyway, you guys with the hotairs, hold on to them. And the guys with the 84's, you have a great interior and the rarest of the BLACK Grand Nationals (non GNX). Hot airs rule the day and to anybody that says otherwise, they are just plain upset because the I/Ced cars are sloppy seconds to the original turbo 3.8, THE HOTAIR.

Everybody keep up the good work of keeping the originals alive

Matt

Matt McClung said:
I know that I have to change my post because I lost my 84 GN in a shop fire (total loss). It was a beautiful car with a perfect lear interior. I really loved that car and I have seen just about every bolt on that car throught the years. But I found a 1986 Grand National that was in too good of shape and too good of a price to pass up. I still consider myself a Hot Air kind of guy, I was even looking for a really nice 84' to replace the old one when I stumbled across the 86'. It is very true that there is a certain pride to get a hot air to run with the stock I/Ced cars with nothing more than a chip and turning up the boost, and besides I had a better interior than any GN made after 1984 (my opinion of coarse). Like I said, I'm a hotair guy who now happens to own a I/C car, but I would trade to have my 84 back with me in a second. Anyway, you guys with the hotairs, hold on to them. And the guys with the 84's, you have a great interior and the rarest of the BLACK Grand Nationals (non GNX). Hot airs rule the day and to anybody that says otherwise, they are just plain upset because the I/Ced cars are sloppy seconds to the original turbo 3.8, THE HOTAIR.

Matt

Well said....I myself feal the same way about the hot air's

Matt McClung said:

Matt

that was well said. I've never owned a hotair (although I'd be happy to!) but I recognize the genuine passion you have for these cars. It's that kind of enthusiasm that will keep them around and I'm referring turbo Buicks in general. As for hotairs, although I've never owned one (yet) I can't imagine a better "bang-for-the-buck" hotrod/muscle car.

good post! :cool:

I hope nobody thinks that I don't love ALL Grand Nationals because I do. I am not putting down the I/Ced cars at all after all I now own one, I just think that we are all a big family when it comes to ALL of the Turbo Regals (1978-1987) and we shouldnt be putting down one anothers cars. We should be putting down the rice burners with the fart cans ;) .

Matt

Without the performance of the 84-85's and everything Buick learned about them, there would be no intercooled performance. "PERIOD" !!!!!!!

Just last night 13.014@105 (2.024 60ft). Without a gazillion dollars invested.

Matt McClung said:
I just think that we are all a big family when it comes to ALL of the Turbo Regals (1978-1987) and we shouldnt be putting down one anothers cars. We should be putting down the rice burners with the fart cans ;) .

Matt

Right on Matt. If you are a true fan of these cars it does not matter what year it is or if it is a GN or T Type. If it weren't for the TR's of the late 70's & early 80's there would never been the SFI TR's in 84/85. And if not for the 84/85's there wouldn't have been the 86/87's. I had mine for 22 years now and still love it even though it is stock and slow compared to the I/C cars. I wish it was faster but I never regreted buying it. I have a little devil on one shoulder who wants me to put alky on it to make it faster. Then on the other shoulder is a little angel who wants me to keep it original. I belong to TR car club which I am the hot air black sheep of the family. I get a lot of compliments from the I/C guys there. Some of them tell me to leave the car alone and don't do a thing to it just keep it in good condition. Then there are a few that see it as an hot air POS. It is my car and I really don't care if someone else dose not like it. I just can't wait until the day I say good bye to my baby :( and see the expression on my sons face when I toss him the keys and tell him " it's all yours now " :) . That won't be till at least another 15 years so I still have a lot of time to enjoy it more :D