Loud high wine/shreek brakes?

1987Vader

Fade to Black!
I think I have break problems again. I have just replaced the accumulator ball and the red light is now off. However days later I turend off my 1987 Gn and heard this loud high pitch noise that I believe is a motor connected to my brakes. I pumped the brakes numerous times and turned back on the car. I then turned off the car and it stopped. Could this be a brake fluid level problem or even worse? Thanks for your help. I am so tired of this Powermaster system.

Sounds like the accumulater ball is leaking. Does the motor shut off after building pressure, or is it continuing to run? Maybe over pressurising?
If you pump the brakes 10 times to remove pressure, then turn the key to on, does the motor run then stop when pressure is obtained or does it cintinue to run? With air leaking from the accum. ball, the motor is going to be cycling on/off and become toast! The switch could be bad, or the ball is not seated properly. Try some teflon tape to seal the threads, just don't over tighten and crack the housing. Check for proper opoeration. If not and there are no b/fluid leaks, then the switch is bad. Just remeber to relieve the pressure before pulling out the switch as it has b/fluid below it and that won't do you or the paint any good.(Ask me how I know?)

Thanks for the help Shadow. I will look into that. Like I said, I just had the accumulator replaced with a repro one. I did not do it myself. I am wondering how to take the ball off without killing myself or the car. How do you relieve the pressure?

Thanks for your help!

To remove pressure from the accumulator:
1) Key off (all the way off)
2) Pump brake pedal to the floor 15 times. The pedal should firm up after a few pumps - keep going!
You should have pressure relieved in the accumulator now. I don't remember what size the nut is on the ball, but I remember it's pretty sizable. I also remember that the ball I had on mine didn't have a "nut" on the outside of it. There was only a "nut" on the inside where it mated up to the master. I had to grind my wrench down to make it "skinny" enough to fit on the nut and between the master and the ball.

To remove pressure from the accumulator:
1) Key off (all the way off)
2) Pump brake pedal to the floor 15 times. The pedal should firm up after a few pumps - keep going!
You should have pressure relieved in the accumulator now. I don't remember what size the nut is on the ball, but I remember it's pretty sizable. I also remember that the ball I had on mine didn't have a "nut" on the outside of it. There was only a "nut" on the inside where it mated up to the master. I had to grind my wrench down to make it "skinny" enough to fit on the nut and between the master and the ball.
Ah! ok. That's what Shadow was talking about as well. It has not happend again, but the brake pedal vibrates at times when stopped at a light. I wonder if that also means I am losing pressure. I will follow your directions...and see if the teflon works.

The vibrating pedal is probably just you feeling the electric pump running. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's always doing it, or it cycles several times per stoplight.

You might go do some snooping around in the "brakes" section. If your brakes are intermittent, it may be symptoms of something serious. I wouldnt take any chances on it.

My pm brakes failed me once. Thank goodness there was no accident. I didnt let it happen again. I made a change in setup.