You can type here any text you want

Low oil pressure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

billygeg

Hey Guys, I just installed a Dakota dash and noticed today the digital screen was blinking under the speedo indicating low oil pressure.. It fluctuated from around 7 to 9 at idle with car warm but once I stepped on the gas it went up to about 10 lbs for 1000 rpm..I read a few threads prior to posting and it appears these cars run on low oil pressure at idle (around 10 psi) so Im not sure if I have something to worry about...

I also seen other threads mentioning a leaky head gasket and oil in water which would cause that problem, so I ran right to my garage to check...The oil level appears fine but the antifreeze in my reservoir seems a little tinted brown..The antifreeze in my radiator is green so do I have anything to worry about? Im hoping maybe the discolored antifreeze in the reservoir is maybe cause by old residue that was already in the reservoir to begin with...

The dis colored water in your reservoir sounds normal. Put a mechanical gauge on the car to verify the oil pressure, I don't trust the Dakota digital gauge. I have a Dakota dash in my el Camino and it reads oil pressure so low at idle, it blinks "low". This is with a sbc. If oil pressure was really that low, I would hear some strange noise coming from the engine lol. Best for you to double check instead of looking for someone to guess for you.

The dis colored water in your reservoir sounds normal. Put a mechanical gauge on the car to verify the oil pressure, I don't trust the Dakota digital gauge. I have a Dakota dash in my el Camino and it reads oil pressure so low at idle, it blinks "low". This is with a sbc. If oil pressure was really that low, I would hear some strange noise coming from the engine lol. Best for you to double check instead of looking for someone to guess for you.
Yeah thats kinda what I figured...Im not hearing any ticking or anything like that..The car is running fine and didnt have any problems before the DD install..But Coincidences do happen...When I first start the car the pressure is pretty high around 40 but I guess when it warms up the oil thins and I get a low reading..Im going to see what I can do this weekend to check it..

Not that it would help with low pressure if it is low, but can you adjust the low flash setting on the gauge? My cyberdyne gauges in my camaro do the same flashing when low, but I can adjust the threshold for "low". Not sure if you can on the Dakota.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not that it would help with low pressure if it is low, but can you adjust the low flash setting on the gauge? My cyberdyne gauges in my camaro do the same flashing when low, but I can adjust the threshold for "low". Not sure if you can on the Dakota.

Yes there is a adjustment that I can make to lower it to a lower number and I think I can just turn it off all together..Would rather have the damn thing working properly though incase there ever is a real issue...

I hear you. Huge headache for all that money. They look nice though. Good luck

Yes there is a adjustment that I can make to lower it to a lower number and I think I can just turn it off all together..Would rather have the damn thing working properly though incase there ever is a real issue...

If it makes you feel better the factory low oil pressure switch is set at 4PSI.

If all you need is a couple more pounds of idle pressure, get a biggie filter kit. That should do it.

If it makes you feel better the factory low oil pressure switch is set at 4PSI.

If all you need is a couple more pounds of idle pressure, get a biggie filter kit. That should do it.
Thanks! I lowered the low oil pressure alarm so it doesnt do it anymore..Its weird though, When I start the car its at like 40-60 lbs then drops to below 10 after a few minutes..I guess the oil thins out?

What oil is in there?
Im not sure, I havent changed the oil since I bought it around February...The old owner took very good care of the care and told me he changed the oil a few months prior and I dot drive the car much so I havent changed it yet

Well like I mentioned before, my Dakota dash flashes low oil pressure in my el Camino with an sbc. I don't trust the gauge/sending unit. However, change your oil anyways:D And put something with zinc in it

I just brought a car home and I did not know the last time it was changed, so I changed it anyway.

Well like I mentioned before, my Dakota dash flashes low oil pressure in my el Camino with an sbc. I don't trust the gauge/sending unit. However, change your oil anyways:D And put something with zinc in it
What oil do you suggest is the best for the car?

What he said ^^^

There's other good stuff out there but the vr1 racing oil is easy to get and full of goodness. 20-40w but some may differ.

What he said ^^^

There's other good stuff out there but the vr1 racing oil is easy to get and full of goodness. 20-40w but some may differ.
I will Definitely look into it..Can I find it at advance auto or auto zone or do I have to special order it somewhere? If I have to special order it where do you guys recommend?

Any auto part store should have it unless you're in Cali. But even autozone had it on the shelf here in Cali again.

Yep valvoline vr-1 20w50, O'riellys and Advanced Auto carries it unless you live in California its banned there.
That should bump your hot oil pressure some assuming that's not what your using now.

Back