You can type here any text you want

Low profile subs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
Anyone have any experience with some of the new low profile subs? Would they fit under the rear seats in a TR? Do they need a box to work properly?

I have a ton of experience with the new low profile subwoofers. They definitely need a box to sound good. Just because they are flat doesnt mean they will sound good in a tiny box. They still require a decent amount of air space to reach their potential. Im not totally sold on them yet, unless you just absolutely have no room for a regular sub, or sound quality comes second to looks and installation.

i say go with a 10" or two in the trunk, up on the little "step" behind the back seat - they've proven to be good and you will get a better sound from your sub coming from the trunk rather than in the cabin anyway

...my $.02

Absolutely NOTHING other then the spare tire and jack are goin in the trunk. I don't want any stereo amps, subs, etc... in my trunk. I realize I will be giving up sound quality. If I cant get a low profile sub to fit under the rear seats along with the amp I'll just go with a sub and get as good a mid range setup as I can go. Behind the seat might be an option if I could hide it.

I want to go with an Eclipse head unit. Had one years ago and like the 8v setup which I realize requires an amp. I know I can fit an amp under the rear seats so if that all I'll beable to do then so be it.

Not looken to add any extra real weight and want a clean factory style looking trunk setup.

Just so I get this right. 3.5 in the dash, 5 1/4 in the concert sound location and 6x9 in rear with adapter plate. Are those the correct sizes? Been several years and can't quite remember.

Any other suggestions?

brett, your speaker sizes are correct, however i would be very careful on the amp location because of the heat. putting amps in confined spaces usually causes them to trip the thermal shut down switch and eventually burns up.
hope this helps, tim

brett, your speaker sizes are correct, however i would be very careful on the amp location because of the heat. putting amps in confined spaces usually causes them to trip the thermal shut down switch and eventually burns up.
hope this helps, tim

+1

Yea, ur probably right. Not an ideal place for an amp. To be honest im just tryen to get something decent with friendly Ipod controls. I like the Eclipse but the one I want will require an amp so maybe Ill just get a head unit that will power the speakers.

I have two speakers up front and one in the rear so is there any aftermarket head unit that will beable to power (3) speakers or will I still need an amp? I know it will sound better with an amp but is there an alternative?

brett, you kinda lost me talking about 3 speakers. the way i see it you would have 6. dash 2 doors 2 (concert sound) and 2 in the rear deck. you can get a nice head unit w/ipod controls to power this no problem. if you still have your heart set on runnin an amp look into a amp with internal fans and you could probably mount it under your front passenger seat. hth, tim

brett, you kinda lost me talking about 3 speakers. the way i see it you would have 6. dash 2 doors 2 (concert sound) and 2 in the rear deck. you can get a nice head unit w/ipod controls to power this no problem. if you still have your heart set on runnin an amp look into a amp with internal fans and you could probably mount it under your front passenger seat. hth, tim

Lol.. I meant (3) sets of speakers and wasn't sure if they could be powered effeciantly by the internal amp in the head unit or if I HAD to get an amp. Like I said, im not trying to set the world on fire. Just better then what I have obviously which is stock.

BTW, I grew up in Pasadena Lakes...;) and went to some christan academy in Hollywood. I't was called Prince of Peace.

Damnnn small world huh? One of my best friends lives in Pasedena and i work on Taft street a few miles West of Pasedena at the Pines Ice Arena. Where in CT do you live now? I went to prep school in Kent, if you know where that is...

And as far as the headunit - i personally swear by Kenwood as #1, and my fellow car-audio enthusiast of a friend will ONLY by Pioneer (i actually have a Premier h/u in my car now, it came with it). So check out those two, Alpine is my #2 choice and Premier #3, but again, Kenwood is the way to go IMO

brett,like ktrain said alpine or kenwood.i have both (alpine in a lightning) (kenwood in a f550)but these are either single din or double din.pioneer make a nice 1.5 din that will fit perfect in your car with no kit. the other ones require a installation kit and imo if you're goin for a nice look get the pioneer. i think the pioneers r on ebay for 229 shipped. hth tim

Ok. I'll look at the Kenwoods and Alpine. I do hear quite a few good things about Kenwood. It's just the last time I was really into any car stereo stuff was like (15) years ago and Kenwood was an average unit. Seems to have improved quite a bit.

A replacement that fills up the double din is a pretty good idea too and retains that stock look as well. Thanx fellas.

Ok. I'll look at the Kenwoods and Alpine. I do hear quite a few good things about Kenwood. It's just the last time I was really into any car stereo stuff was like (15) years ago and Kenwood was an average unit. Seems to have improved quite a bit.

A replacement that fills up the double din is a pretty good idea too and retains that stock look as well. Thanx fellas.

1.5 din :biggrin:

Originally Posted by GNBRETT: I do hear quite a few good things about Kenwood. It's just the last time I was really into any car stereo stuff was like (15) years ago and Kenwood was an average unit. Seems to have improved quite a bit.

Thats funny because Kenwood is still average, but for some reason, some consumers think it is the best. Dont get me wrong, Kenwood is pretty good stuff, there is just better options out there IMO. Eclipse is a much better choice. Their preamp only headunit with 8V preouts, and a copper chasis is one of the better headunits out their for the money. The downside is it is not all that cheap, and you still have to use a seperate amp. If you are going to run 3 sets of speakers, I would recommend a seperate amp anyways. Most good headunits can run 3 sets of speakers, but you have to be careful how you wire them up, and the amp will be working a little harder than normal. Eclipse does make an all in one unit, w/ 5V outputs, and no copper chassis, that is really nice too. Alpine would be my next choice. They have always been solid throughout their whole lineup.

I dont think you will have enough room for much of anything below the rear seats.....................you are going to have to do something under the rear package tray like this................. obviously if you want to hide it dont invert the sub like I did, maybe run a 10 instead of a 12, turn the box the other way, etc.

Yes, 8V pre-outs are nice......... and crystal clear!!!

Attachments

• DSC01281.jpg
    DSC01281.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 135
Back