You can type here any text you want

Lower the stance of my Regal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Member # 77

38324080008_medium.jpg

The short of the long story is I bought a Regal. Put new tires and rims (14 inch) on it. I hit any kind of dip of bump and the tires would rub the body and drag along the side wall of my tires. I will edit the tire size when I look at it but I can tell you they are not some super wide tires.
I figured all 4 spring were worm plumb out.
I bought all 4 new stock springs and belstien shocks.

Then I find out the guy who owned it before me installed dropped spindles and lowered springs.

How do I know what spring to install and not have them eat up my Goodyears and also have the lowered NASCAR look at Daytona?

Dont tell me to install a SBC 350 either. I know that will lower the front end. LOL

awesome.....uh...keep cutting the springs until your belsteins are good to go:cool:

Thats really going to mostly depend on what the backspace of the rims are and the size of the tire. More than likely if you were rubbing when the car was lowered previously, you are going to rub again. But if you have a stiff enough spring, it'll help keep the tire out of the body. I'd get rid of the spindles first of all. Those dont help at all. You would be best off just using a set of springs to lower the car. Dont cut them, get a good set. You could do the 5658's and 5413's for cheap. Then if you want to go lower in the front, you can use tall lower ball joints to lower it more.

Thats really going to mostly depend on what the backspace of the rims are and the size of the tire. Those dont help at all. You would be best off just using a set of springs to lower the car. Dont cut them, get a good set. You could do the 5658's and 5413's for cheap. Then if you want to go lower in the front, you can use tall lower ball joints to lower it more.

The tires all the way around are 225 x 70R 14
I am going to have to research and find out the back spacing of the rims.

The tires all the way around are 225 x 70R 14
I am going to have to research and find out the back spacing of the rims.
I'm willing to bet your running 14x7's with a 3" backspace. Double check though. I would first try the 5658 springs and stock spindles.

Just called bassett. I am sure glad they keep that info on file.
It was 14 x 7 with 2" inch backspacing.

Stupid question. Or should I say guessing

Backspacing is the distance from center lline of the rim back. So if my thoughts are right the rims I bought the middle part of the rim is 2 inches off center or pushed back away from the center of the rim???? Am I right?

Just called bassett. I am sure glad they keep that info on file.
It was 14 x 7 with 2" inch backspacing.

Stupid question. Or should I say guessing

Backspacing is the distance from center lline of the rim back. So if my thoughts are right the rims I bought the middle part of the rim is 2 inches off center or pushed back away from the center of the rim???? Am I right?

Your actually thinking of offset. The backspace is simply te distance from the back of the rim hoop to the back of the flange that the rim sits on the hub.

You may have a little bit of problems becuase you dont have much backspace to work with, meaning your rims sits out quite a bit.

Example: (this is a rough example, not a techinical example) Most of us guys that run an 8" wide rim use either a 4.5" or a 4.75" backspace. That gives us roughly 3.5" or 3.25" of rim sticking outwards from the wheel hub. With you having a 2" backspace on a 7" rim, you basically have 5" of rim sticking out from your hub. Thats why your rubbing. You have 1.5 to 1.75" more rim to hit you wheel wells than most of us do.

I hate to say this becuase I know your going to not like it but if you want that car to be low, your going to want to get new rims and tires. Otherwise, just simple set of srpings like the 5658's would work, just wont be really low. I would personally go with some black American Racing 15x8's. You can get them cheap. And you should be able to sell your wheels to make up some cash to pay for the new ones. Your rims will work on many different cars so they shouldnt be hard to sell. Just an opinion, dont get mad at me!!!:D

Or, if you want to make it really cool, get a set of 16, 17, or 18" all black rims. That would look killer on your car.

Thanks for the explanation

Your actually thinking of offset. The backspace is simply te distance from the back of the rim hoop to the back of the flange that the rim sits on the hub.

You may have a little bit of problems becuase you dont have much backspace to work with, meaning your rims sits out quite a bit.

Example: (this is a rough example, not a techinical example) Most of us guys that run an 8" wide rim use either a 4.5" or a 4.75" backspace. That gives us roughly 3.5" or 3.25" of rim sticking outwards from the wheel hub. With you having a 2" backspace on a 7" rim, you basically have 5" of rim sticking out from your hub. Thats why your rubbing. You have 1.5 to 1.75" more rim to hit you wheel wells than most of us do.

I hate to say this becuase I know your going to not like it but if you want that car to be low, your going to want to get new rims and tires. Otherwise, just simple set of srpings like the 5658's would work, just wont be really low. I would personally go with some black American Racing 15x8's. You can get them cheap. And you should be able to sell your wheels to make up some cash to pay for the new ones. Your rims will work on many different cars so they shouldnt be hard to sell. Just an opinion, dont get mad at me!!!:D

Not mad at all. I just know I am not going to run out and buy 5 new rims (Spare has to match) and 5 tires just to get the look I want. I will be waiting until I wear the rubber off these.

Not mad at all. I just know I am not going to run out and buy 5 new rims (Spare has to match) and 5 tires just to get the look I want. I will be waiting until I wear the rubber off these.

Thats true! maybe just try the springs first and see where they get you.

Back