lowering springs for 9" rear

6gunn

high on gas fumes
There is about a 2.5" wheel well gap with GTAs and 245/50/16 with the 9" rear end. Does anyone have any experience with a spring that will lower about 2" with the 9" rear?

Maybe the 2” drop springs from UMI Performance available through www.fullthrottlespeed.com would work?

4DB32191-B7AE-45FD-8343-6E08801752A1.png

Maybe the 2” drop springs from UMI Performance available through www.fullthrottlespeed.com would work?

View attachment 346472

Those would be for the stock 8.5 rear, right? Not sure if that would set it down 2" or if it would just sit at about stock ride height as the 8.5 rear. The rear is from Quick Performance, so maybe I can call them and get suggestions. Or, could there be other makes of springs that would fit the Gbody like maybe a Ford since it is a Ford 9".

Those would be for the stock 8.5 rear, right? Not sure if that would set it down 2" or if it would just sit at about stock ride height as the 8.5 rear. The rear is from Quick Performance, so maybe I can call them and get suggestions. Or, could there be other makes of springs that would fit the Gbody like maybe a Ford since it is a Ford 9".

My apologies. Yes, those would be for the stock 8.5.
I should have asked what springs are installed at the moment.
I was assuming you had stock springs installed and a 2” lowering spring would, well, lower it 2 inches.

My apologies. Yes, those would be for the stock 8.5.
I should have asked what springs are installed at the moment.
I was assuming you had stock springs installed and a 2” lowering spring would, well, lower it 2 inches.

Not sure on the springs as the rear end/springs were in the car when I bought it and the seller couldn't tell me much either. I assume they are stock springs since they aren't as new looking as the rear end is, but there's no knowing for sure.

I had 2 inch drop bell tech springs on mine after the 9” quick performance swap.

You will see the rear end raised after the swap

Which is why I went with
Viking drag coil overs

I had 2 inch drop bell tech springs on mine after the 9” quick performance swap.

You will see the rear end raised after the swap

Which is why I went with
Viking drag coil overs

Thanks for the link. Now I'm wondering if the PO lengthened the driveshaft or not. How is your initial pinion angle of 2.5deg working out?

Also, you had 2" drop springs and it was still sitting that high? Wow, I'm starting to doubt there is any spring out there that will give me the drop I'm looking for and not ride like a school bus.

I have Hotchkiss 1" lowering springs front and back with 1" drop spindles up front . I also have a Quick Performance 9" and the rear tires are 28" tall .
hotchkiss 1" part #1901 , 2" #19115
DSCN0511.JPG

pinion angle is good...no vibrations....have not touched it since it set it....

i did read up on it quite a bit before i set it

Now I'm wondering if the PO lengthened the driveshaft or not
I had a new drive shaft made because it was now the weak link in the drive train , and it was 3/4" shorter than my stock one .

Standard 2.5" coil over springs will fit a Quick 9" without issues. There are tons of lengths and rates available and they're cheap. I would start with a 12" 150 lb.
coilovers.jpg

Scott , no issues with the coil over spring fitting in the upper spring pocket ?
Only issue you MAY have depending on length is when you jack the rear they could displace. I personally didn't have that issue but some have. The Quick 9" has extended lower spring perches which retain the springs really well.

Preload adjusters those are pretty cool

Only a stones throw away from running true coils overs at that point