You can type here any text you want

Lt-1 valvesprings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chris Wh1

I was just wondering if you can run lt-1 springs with a completely stock motor. An if so, how much do these usualy cost. Are they really better than stock springs?

Thanks in advance
Chris

Yes, you can, and yes, they're better...
Having said that --- I would not suggest running a new set of them if you're still running a higher mileage stock cam. These springs are 100-110 seat pressure, and would be a little too stiff for a worn out stock cam. They'd cause it to die a quicker death.

If you install a new cam, then these will work great!
If you're simply replacing the springs and nothing else, I'd recommend a little less ridgid spring, ie, use the OE style. A new set of those will wake-up the car considerably if your current springs are 60k+ miles.

He's right. You might check out Comp 979 or 980 springs. Call them and see what they recommend.

CC980s work nice. They are a step above stock, advertised at about 91lbs @ the 1.7" installed height. which is more than enough. The 979s are a good choice for a direct replacement. Either one would be a big improvement if you have stockers and suspect they are worn. IMO the LT-1s are a little too much, at least on a street car. Even on a new cam the life of it will be shortened. A small block Chevy is a different story. Our engines arent going to see the high rpms that you would push other engines, just not in the design. The performance benefit isnt really there with high spring pressure once you get to a certain point, but the chance of negative effects is. Some guys feel 80lb spring pressure is more than enough (979's). Just my 2cents.

The little spring in my ink pen is better than the stock v-springs..:)

ks:cool:

Also, from the info/notes I have its important to mention that there were three spring types Chevy used for the LT1 designation. One of them was advertised at 104lbs, but also a Melling part#vs380 advertised at 86.2lbs which may be the one better suited for out application.

Back