Lurker to Owner!

ZR1 DREAMING

Hi all, been a member for quite a while just wasn't lucky enough to be in a position to own a GN until now. I have had an affinity for these cars since I first saw one lay the smack-down at local-ish track in the early 90s. I smelled the race fuel and heard the turbo whistle then watched the lane winner bulbs light and that was it.

Now that I'm older and have a 3rd stall in the garage with a couple nickles in my pocket I pulled the trigger on one that came up for sale. Coincidentally, the previous owner (2nd owner of the GN) lives just over two miles from me! Anyway, I bought an '87 GN with 67k on the clock, has been repainted but was very well taken care of from what I can tell. Car has TA49, blue tops, Red XP FP, no alky and on pump gas, no dents, scratches, or rust, has all original interior.

My goals are 11.50 and enjoy it, I'm an LS guy so anything faster will be in a drag car, the GN is for me to drive and enjoy. First order of business is a wideband, SM-G, datalogger, and go with 80#ers and TT chip for E85. After that, I'll consider a converter and built trans, nothing crazy... just enough to take care of the bulk of what's on the streets. Here's a pic, I'll try to take some more soon.

Looking forward to learning this car and learning from you all! I am always open to tips and advice :)

Thanks guys, loving it! Puts a big smile on my face when that boost hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TA-49 will net you 11.50 with about 25 lbs of boost. Did it with my car many years ago. I ran it with some race gas in the tank. Also had 50's injectors and other upgraded items. Check my sig.

The TA-49 will net you 11.50 with about 25 lbs of boost. Did it with my car many years ago. I ran it with some race gas in the tank. Also had 50's injectors and other upgraded items. Check my sig.
That's great to know, thanks Danster. Was that run with the 3200 converter?
I'm only seeing 13-15lbs (on a VDO boost gaugue) and running 93 pump gas and see knock when WOT with the cutout open. I feel like that's relatively low boost to be pinging but don't know if it's a flase read yet or not until I get a logger and SM.

exhaust cut outs are a topic of debat some have actually run faster with closed , go figure

old motor mounts or a banging , tapping crossover pipe will also cause false knock

Until you really learn the car and the tuning aspects of it I would advise you to assume any knock you see is real knock and not to ignore it. So whatever it is you're doing when there's knock, stop doing that. In the meantime go about your upgrades starting with the fuel system and chip. Just my .02
Good luck and keep us posted

Until you really learn the car and the tuning aspects of it I would advise you to assume any knock you see is real knock and not to ignore it. So whatever it is you're doing when there's knock, stop doing that.
Yeah, I stopped immediately.
In the meantime go about your upgrades starting with the fuel system and chip. Just my .02
Good luck and keep us posted
That's the plan, thanks!

Yes my run was with the vigilante converter stalled at 3200.

As far as pump gas goes, I would say 15 lbs or so is safe for pump gas. But then again, not all 93 is the same so you never know what you really get. I usually get my 93 fuel from Chevron. But I have also gone with a Alky kit to up the boost.

Hi all, been a member for quite a while just wasn't lucky enough to be in a position to own a GN until now. I have had an affinity for these cars since I first saw one lay the smack-down at local-ish track in the early 90s. I smelled the race fuel and heard the turbo whistle then watched the lane winner bulbs light and that was it.

Now that I'm older and have a 3rd stall in the garage with a couple nickles in my pocket I pulled the trigger on one that came up for sale. Coincidentally, the previous owner (2nd owner of the GN) lives just over two miles from me! Anyway, I bought an '87 GN with 67k on the clock, has been repainted but was very well taken care of from what I can tell. Car has TA49, blue tops, Red XP FP, no alky and on pump gas, no dents, scratches, or rust, has all original interior.

My goals are 11.50 and enjoy it, I'm an LS guy so anything faster will be in a drag car, the GN is for me to drive and enjoy. First order of business is a wideband, SM-G, datalogger, and go with 80#ers and TT chip for E85. After that, I'll consider a converter and built trans, nothing crazy... just enough to take care of the bulk of what's on the streets. Here's a pic, I'll try to take some more soon.

Looking forward to learning this car and learning from you all! I am always open to tips and advice :)

View attachment 342479

Awesome car, man. I’m in the same boat as you, 3 car garage, good finances, and have shave lurked on the forums for 20 years, and have finally started looking for one to buy. I figure my 40 year old self owes it to my 17 year old self! Btw I had a Silverado SS too!

Awesome car, man. I’m in the same boat as you, 3 car garage, good finances, and have shave lurked on the forums for 20 years, and have finally started looking for one to buy. I figure my 40 year old self owes it to my 17 year old self! Btw I had a Silverado SS too!

Good luck in your search! I love this car, I have wanted one for a long long time. Took my wife out on a date it it on Saturday evening and it got looks all night long. You have great taste hahaha the Silverado is faster than the GN so I gotta do something about that!

Good luck in your search! I love this car, I have wanted one for a long long time. Took my wife out on a date it it on Saturday evening and it got looks all night long. You have great taste hahaha the Silverado is faster than the GN so I gotta do something about that!

FYI I found a clean 87 with 19k original miles on it, picked it up last week. Hardtop with G80, all stock.