You can type here any text you want

machine work

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blckdrgn1987

11.78 @129
Hello gang

To keep this short I am going to rebuild a motor I have to basic stock stats. I need to ask a few questions to the group. I want to take the block in and have it cleaned and check, the crank will need to be checked. I would like to do as much as posssible but I have limited knowledge on the details of the rebuild. Here are the questions. Can I take the block and crank to and machine shop or do you have any suggestions. Second, is there anyone in the savannah ga area that might be willing to come over and guide me in the assembly of the motor. I thank you for any help in advanced.

I'll get things started...

Before you do any teardown to that engine (I'm guessing that it is fully assembled), take a few pictures for later reference. Also take some pics as you disassemble the engine/accessories. get some small cups and/or cardboard to layout what fasteners went where.

Before you take apart the rotating assembly, mark the rods and rod caps with their respective cylinder #'s, and mark main caps for position. A numbered punch set makes this easy work.

Once the teardown is complete, taking a block yourself to be hot tanked and magnafluxed at a competent shop is not a problem. Same for the crank.

the key to a rebuild is working with a shop that is familiar with the Buick turbo engine. it can not be built like a small block Chevy (machining tolerances, etc.). You will need a good engine book with all the torque specs and sequences as well as new hardware (ARP?) for the mains, rods, and heads. If you have never done it before, maybe you should let the shop prepare the long block for you. That way, you have their warranty on their work.

For stuff local to you, do a search for "wildcat engines". The three threads have some useful info on different shops.

Wildcat engines builds the engines for Poston's and they are in GA. Fred's Turbo Performance is in Hahira, GA - to help with any tunings etc. He's a GM master tech. I've talked with him at the GS Nats.
Grooms engines is another shop. they are in Nashville.

this is just a start. others will share their $0.02 as well.

Find a shop you trust. Take your shortblock to them with crank, pistons, along with the balancer & flexplate on the side. I would leave it assembled & let them tear it down & that will give them the story of whats wrong with it. tells lots of info if you know what to look for. Supply them the specs you want to build it to re bearings etc. Then they balance with flexplate & balancer installed & they built it so they should stand behind it! You still get to put on LOTS of parts but leave the shortblock to a pro! It will cost at least $2K with pistons, crank work, balancing, cleaning, new frost plugs & paint etc etc. Have Fun but dont do that part yourself unless you have a good idea of what your doing. After 5 of them I still have my guy button up the shortblock & he stands behind his work! Thats why he does it!!

I gave the machine shop detailed instructions of things I wanted done when I took my block in...I had already installed the girdle...problem is they still screwed up a couple things...they didn't orient the cam bearings as I stated in the instructions so I had to get them done again...I made them pay for new ones...other thing was they tapped out one of the oil gallery holes too deep...one uses a shallow plug so the oil passage isn't blocked...got that fixed by another machine shop...good advice on finding shop that knows these motors...but I would still give then detailed instructions...

Attachments

`K & P machine shop

2220 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Augusta, GA 30904 Map

(706) 733-5592
These guys have been in business for over 3 generations & are familiar with the turbo buick motors.
I had the balancing of my rotating assmbly doen there and as I walked around the shop there were 3 other customers 109 blocks being worked on.
If you want to save some money and have them do the machine work and you do the final assembly PM me I can help you out, Im not too far away.

Back