You can type here any text you want

Machining and balancing oem balancer / flywheel

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo96max

Guys, what is the general dos and donts on rhis topic? Im considering a steel crank and it seems internal balance is better . Im considering what the rest of the budget will be like specifically on the zero balance balancer and new flywheel. I have read that people machine the oem parts to zero balance them. Is this a big no no? Any cons or risks on doing this? Any members provide this service or tried this before?

the stock can be done to neutral but then its still a stock cast part and its chance of cracking is high already, and the cost is almost what you can buy a TA sfi hub for , for heavy race get a balancer /torsional dampener like the BHJ

the flywheel get same deal , its a thinner part than the sfi , find a cat neutral or get the JW

or if goal isnt an all out racer but just a street build modest HP using newer internals the crank can be found in external balance and you can run what you have now for balancer and flywheel and if goal changes you can step up to better flywheel/balancer

my 86 has an external balanced forged crank and i could run stock but im pushing enough that the rules state i need SFI so run the cat ext sfi flexplate and BHJ ext balancer .

Last edited:
Well a local machinist is willing to include the front balance in w the balance job but he had concerns of it cracking . So that wouldnt have added costs. The car is going to be a street car with maybe 3-4 track visits. I currently have a cut crank and want to start fresh with a steel crank . Are you saying an external steel crank is not much weaker or prone to issues as a internal? I want to be able to turn it up if i ever want to. Its going to be girdled.

Are you saying an external steel crank is not much weaker or prone to issues as a internal? I want to be able to turn it up if i ever want to. Its going to be girdled.
not sure what your asking , the stock balancer being 26yr old cast iron and a slip fit its not good to push your luck on one for high rpm,

as for the internal balance external balance crank being stronger or weaker than the other , i dont see an issue with either ,
no girdle or main caps or even studs on my external balance crank and its still there

I just saw the ta balancer made of billet on fullthrottle. Doesnt say its zero balance ? Do you know if it is? That looks like the ticket for a budget!!

the TA Perf SFI is both, it has a bolt on counter weight for external that is removable making it neutral for internal balance ,
ive run them no problem but for high hp i prefer the bhj that is a torsion stabilizer

770TA_V2026_100.jpg

Get a external balance Eagle steel crank. Fullthrotle has them.

I would not run a machined stock balancer. Just about every steel crank needs extra work and won't drop in. None of these are "budget" pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely nothing and everything is budget just some have way bigger budgets . For a car that will live at 6k-6.25k rpm. When does the external vs internal crank become a concern?

Definitely nothing and everything is budget just some have way bigger budgets . For a car that will live at 6k-6.25k rpm. When does the external vs internal crank become a concern?
It would be of no concern if the balance was ok. 6250rpm would be low 9's typically with a small hyd roller and 3 bolt turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well im definitely over building. Chrisss hooked me up w some ported irons by Tom. 210 215 comp roller. Set of eagle rods and je's i picked up . Def not looking for 9s. Maybe 10.30s -10.50s reliably. Stock crank w a girdle maybe enough seems like . New turbo will also be in order not sure which one yet. Trying to get the right plan of action and parts list

Back