You can type here any text you want

Machining stock guides...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
This is a spin off of the other thread in this section......

I have a roller with .517 lift intake and exhaust. I have stock length guides intake and exhaust. Do I need to machine the guides for this cam? Stock rockers also.

Off come the heads and back to the machine shop...:biggrin: ..better now than after the motor is in the car.

That was where I was and had to pull the heads motor in the car. I have a 215-210 roller kit from Full Throttle and it ate valve seals. I tried two diffrent seals (butal rubber and viton) hoping one would be "shorter" and work BUT no joy! I pulled the heads and the machine shop said I had enough room for @ , 480 lift but not the .517 on my cam. I'm good for .600 now that they have been machined. It's also nice to know the seat pressure has been equalized, I also had mine flowed while they had them. Jon Hanson

My motor is still on the stand so now is the time. I have the heads on it and spin it over and the valve retainers don't even come close. Now I have to take into account the lifters are not fully pumped up.

The sure way to check would be to remove the valve spring and measure clearence between the guide and retainer. But my cheap craftsman spring compressor kept slipping off.:) Those behives are stiff.

On a side note I have a 205/210 roller in my wifes T and seems fine,but I have had the exhaust guide machined for seals. Been in there for 1.5 years now.

You would have to lower the Exhaust Giudes to the same height as the Intake. Machine the Guides for Teflon Seals or close to that. Otherwise you will have lot's of smoke due to the Exhaust Guides being too low.

Good Luck

Let me be clear on this...I have exhaust and intake guides at stock height(whatever that is). I have no seals on the exhaust,I have lift of .517. Are the retainers going to hit the exhaust guides. That is my concern. Full throttles website says nothing,the paperwork with the cam said nothing about cutting exhaust guides. Thanks guys.

Let me be clear on this...I have exhaust and intake guides at stock height(whatever that is). I have no seals on the exhaust,I have lift of .517. Are the retainers going to hit the exhaust guides. That is my concern. Full throttles website says nothing,the paperwork with the cam said nothing about cutting exhaust guides. Thanks guys.

Assuming you are refering to the 8445 heads. If the Exhaust Guides are at the same height as the Intakes' then they have been milled down. So YES you will have to run Seals on the Exhaust otherwise you will have Blue Smoke due to Oil Seepage through the Ex Guides.

If you have stock height exhaust guides, yes, the retainers will be too close to the guide. To run a cam with that lift, both guides will need to be machined and seals installed on the intake and exhaust. I like .060 retainer to seal clearance at full lift.

My exhaust guides have not been machined to accept a seal,there are none on there as of now. It's just like the factory did it. exhausts are taller than intakes and yes 8445 heads.

So I will have to cut the exhuast guides down,changes the valves and run a seal because at .517 lift the retainers will hit the exhaust guides. Yes or no:confused:

If the exhaust need to be machined,do the intakes as well? Thanks guys.:o I can be dense at times. Just want it to be right the 1st time.

Yes, intakes and exhaust both need to be cut to the same height. The intakes don't have to be cut too much, but the exhausts have to have a lot more material removed because they are higher. Any machine shop should have a cutter. You can buy a cutter from Summit or Goodson machine shop supply, and use a 1/2 " drill to cut them yourself. The guide is 5/16" and the cutter is 1/2". You also need a way to measure the amount to be cut. A dial caliper works well.

Back