You can type here any text you want

Made my own bearing chamfer tool

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike T

Decided to chamfer my bearings a little just to make sure that there would be no contact with the fillets ....didn't feel like hunting down a machinist to do it so I made a tool.

Fairly simple...I made an adapter out of aluminum on the lathe to fit the pilot cone from my cam bearing installation tool, fitted a stainless shaft to the adapter and then wrapped the cone with adhesive sand paper.

Worked out well now I'll need to clean the block thoroughly before assembly.

IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1675.JPG
IMG_1678.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG

This is something that needs to be done to all the main bearings when doing a rebuild?

This is something that needs to be done to all the main bearings when doing a rebuild?
Mine doesnt have that I don't think. It helps long term but I have over 40k on mine since being rebuilt, no issues

Useful tool when using a forged crank from China. Some of the earlier cranks with curved fillets were not machined perfectly and would catch the edge of the bearing. The tool might work on the rods too if you want to use wide rod bearings on those cranks.

Useful tool when using a forged crank from China. Some of the earlier cranks with curved fillets were not machined perfectly and would catch the edge of the bearing. The tool might work on the rods too if you want to use wide rod bearings on those cranks.
I plan to run a forged rotating assembly.

Great tool, Mike. My forged crank from Weber wouldn't spin in my block. This was what they did to fix the problem.

Any other ways of doing this? I don't have a cam bearing installer

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Any other ways of doing this? I don't have a cam bearing installer

Oreillys(or advanced) sells just the cone, or you could check out an arts 'n crafts store. They probably have some sort of wooden cone for making gawdy mini crimmus trees or something.

..or you could just by a cone tool for chamfering cylinder bores. Those will go small enough to do a bearing set.

Last edited:
Two additional tips if you do it the way I did.
The front main only needs to be chamfered on one side. Also the tool was too large to do the seal side of the rear main so I made a jig using two old main caps in a vise.

I needed more chamfer too. Here's a neat setup Richard Clark made and let me use. Thanks Richard!

Back