MAFT PRO or just GEN II Translator?

SS/GNX

Formerly NothinYet
I cant decide which way I want to go...

I know that the MAFT PRO setup is speed density and there is more tuning capabilities, but is it a total bitch to tune your car with it?

What benefits will it provide over say the GEN II translator?

In other words, WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET AND WHY?

Read sig to see whats done now... my goals are low 12s high 11s, as I have a stock short block that I need to last a long time...

Eventually though, I am sure I am going to get a nice forged bottom end built and wanna go FAST...

I learned the hard way, I would keep it simple and just get a regular translator, that can easily get you to your goals. I would try that first imo.

I was just going to say the same thing... I have the Gen II on a low 10 sec build and its just awesome! One day I will go to a Pro, but I need to learn a lot more about tuning first. Keep it simple first, and trust me, you wont be disappointed with the Gen II, its awesome.

Either way you go you're ahead of the game.

I know it's a lot of $$, BUT even if you want to stay with a MAF setup for a while, remember, the Translator Pro can and does have the ability to run as a MAF translator, running almost any MAF you choose.
Then at some point, you decide to go mafless, you unplug it, tell the TPro you're now mafless with a keystroke, "kick the tires, and light the fires". :biggrin:
It's litterally almost that simple. The only additions needed to run speed density would be a 3 bar map sensor, and move the IAT to the up pipe so it can be a MAT.

The pro will run as a regular translator, it will run SD, it will also act as a closed loop boost controller. (those are usually around $400 alone). It has been proven in MANY cars now with quite a few in the 9's and a couple faster. The GEN2 is also very good and tremendous capibiltiy over the old translator for a small increase in price. The GEN2 with the new 4" MAF pipe with sensor is a killer setup.
Mike

Either way you go you're ahead of the game.

I know it's a lot of $$, BUT even if you want to stay with a MAF setup for a while, remember, the Translator Pro can and does have the ability to run as a MAF translator, running almost any MAF you choose.
Then at some point, you decide to go mafless, you unplug it, tell the TPro you're now mafless with a keystroke, "kick the tires, and light the fires". :biggrin:
It's litterally almost that simple. The only additions needed to run speed density would be a 3 bar map sensor, and move the IAT to the up pipe so it can be a MAT.

I didnt really realize that it did both.... hmm....

Yeah, if I can keep it simple now by getting the PRO and just using it as a translator, but be able to use it later if I want to fly... maybe that is the way to go...

Is it AS EASY to use as a GEN II with a translator???

I dont know enough about all this stuff yet to get crazy with it... dont get me wrong.. im pretty savvy on a computer and I know alot about cars and engines... its just the tuning I have no clue about.

Keep those suggestions flying everybody, im just thinking out loud here :biggrin:

Mike... my car doesnt have a vehicle speed sense of any kind hooked up to it... is that going to pose a problem with either one?

Yeah, if I can keep it simple now by getting the PRO and just using it as a translator, but be able to use it later if I want to fly... maybe that is the way to go...

Is it AS EASY to use as a GEN II with a translator???

Yes, just as easy. For some of us, it's even easier (two more buttons). :wink:
More things to think about after going to speed density however, but not hard.

I dont know enough about all this stuff yet to get crazy with it... dont get me wrong.. im pretty savvy on a computer and I know alot about cars and engines... its just the tuning I have no clue about.

Keep those suggestions flying everybody, im just thinking out loud here :biggrin:

I have a PRO setup I am looking to sell, if you decide to buy one. Having Rick (Rick87GN) nearby has been a huge help with the pro. He really knows his way around it. With all the local support, it shouldn't be too tough.

dcving6@aol.com

PM me with price and let me know when you are looking to ditch it.

I know Rick.. he will be helping me too, if I get it! LOL!

I live in Lockport... so I am not far from New Lenox.

Does the pro kinda act like a power logger? Does it data log your cars info?

The unit itself does not log data, but you can log data on the software that comes with it.

It is more or less like an in between to a regular translator and a FAST or Big Stuff system.

A used translator with the latest updated chips is all you need. :cool:

Make sure you get the extension wiring with it if you want to locate it inside the car.

Or the GEN II if you want a new unit.

Keep it simple for those goals. :smile: