Maiden run

Wld87GN

First of all I aplogize for posting such a long description of the maiden run with this car, but I KNOW all of you know exactly what I am talking about here.

So, you may remember I posted that I picked this car up from out of state and for the most part was hoping that the car was in as good of shape as the pictures showed. I had not driven it, and went on the fact that the seller was known from a friend of mine in the area it was sold from. Anyway, so a few weeks ago the car arrived in the middle of a snow storm and had to immediately go into the garage to wait.

Today the weather broke and we saw almost 50' outside and I could not contain myself, I had to take it out even if for just a ride around the block (I did not have a lot of time). So I fired up the car and backed it out of the garage, mind you I have NEVER driven a Grand National... I just loved the look and the history... had to have one so I bought one.

Okay so I let it warm up a bit and backed it out into the street, dropped into D and crept away from the house, I gave it a little gas and off we went. The first thing I noticed was how well the car shifted... it really grabs when shifting gear and so much that (and I cannot stress this enough) despite me trying to not get crazy in the car on my residential street (kids playing and shit) as it shifted the tires broke loose and slid out slightly... WOW.

I turned the corner to a street that had a higher speed limit and I slowly brought the RPM's up while the boost gauge lit up and the A-pillar boost gauge needle climbed... the whine of the turbo was truly awazing, I am blown away at this awesome sound of power and technology. I made one more turn and was out onto a much busier street where I could open it up a little. So first of all no one warned me that the power comes on VERY fast, but damn when it does it punches hard... so I had to back off a little as the tires broke loose again and this was from a 35-40mph roll, so I gradually got back on it and within no time the speedo was buried, boost gauge was fully lit up and the the A-pillar boost gauge showed about 15#'s (give or take)...

This was awesome... I could not be happier, I went around the block, came back into the sub and got a lot of stares from neighbors who were getting home from work and noticing the engine whine. This car did not stumble, did not hesitate, demanded more fuel and air, it was like caged aggression. I am still discovering details of this car, but are they really this aggressive in mostly stock trim?

I know in my other thread, I have said I was not sure I would be modding this thing much... I know I speak for all of you... chances of that are slim. I cannot imagine the reaction of an alky kit or some of the other standard upgrades. More to come, but suffice to say I am totally hooked!

856371_10151491098947417_810622232_o.jpg

Nice post and I'm glad all went well and it exceeded your expectations. These are amazing cars, hard to believe how powerful they are stock. Have fun.

It's nice to see driving the cars from the point of view of a fresh set of eyes.

It's amazing how fast you can get used to the speed (or sideways at speed :) )

Yeah, we try to warn people about this addiction, but to no avail!!! Sloooowly step back from the car and hand your wife the keys aqnd think happy thoughts, like when life was so much simpler. Like when you had a happy wife and money!!!
Good write-up and try to maintain control!

I love the lowered look, it looks like mine. The hardest part is not to get caught up in buying all the parts available for these cars: bigger turbos, bigger IC's, more stall, etc.. If you read a lot of threads you'll soon find a bunch of threads that indicate where people wished they didn't mod the car as much as they did. IMO, Keep things simple. Don't go into the motor at all and just get the bolt-ons that will support the stock long block which is good for low 11's and a tad faster. If all your running is a stock long block with a stock turbo then you have a FUN-AS-HELL car to start with and you haven't seen nothin' YET! That turbo will REALLY open your eyes so keep it as long as you can and learn to make it work for you!!

ks

Awesome story. I'm like Earl. I've got used to hitting the gas and being out of control. Neat to read a story about someones first ride.

Awesome story. I remember by first ride! A friend of mine let me drive his T-Type, when I considered buying it from him. I was hooked from there! Have fun, and keep her straight. And if you do start to lose grip, don't forget your prayers!

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep,but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! Amen!

Awesome story. I remember by first ride! A friend of mine let me drive his T-Type, when I considered buying it from him. I was hooked from there! Have fun, and keep her straight. And if you do start to lose grip, don't forget your prayers!

As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep,but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! Amen!
great minds think alike :) been rockin that in my sig for some time haha

Thanks guys, I have more "plans" in my head than I will probably put into reality. I have already created my wish list of parts and upgrades but the reality is that I bought the car to enjoy it mostly stock trim. What an awesome piece of American automobile history. Every, and I mean every single person that I have spoken to about this car... men and women alike all have the same reaction. "Oh shit you got a Grand National, those cars are f**king fast, which is typically followed up with a story of a friend that had one. I cannot wait to get it out again...

great story reminds me of first time i drove mine when i was 16 and we just finished building it car scared me so bad i only took it back out again when i turned 20 hahahaha
and x2 on don't over mod take you time and calculate every step trust me if you don't contain your self you'l soon be out 25 000 some quick hahahahah
welcome to the buick world its like crack and crystal met all fast and sideways

Thanks guys, I have more "plans" in my head than I will probably put into reality. I have already created my wish list of parts and upgrades but the reality is that I bought the car to enjoy it mostly stock trim. What an awesome piece of American automobile history. Every, and I mean every single person that I have spoken to about this car... men and women alike all have the same reaction. "Oh shit you got a Grand National, those cars are f**king fast, which is typically followed up with a story of a friend that had one. I cannot wait to get it out again...

Congrats on your ride she is a beauty!

great story always love to hear when people have a good story and wanna share.....as mentioned keep it simple you will thank us as you learn more. And yes you are right anytime some one talks to you about these cars they have a story "I knew a guy that had one" that is very common with these things...lol!

congrats again :cool:

the stories usualy go something like those twin turbo v6s or supercharged v6s iv talke to many of those nobs it will comme trust me

hahahaha yeah i do get the insult alot about how many gauges my car has i usualy end that convo with glad its my bad as car not yours hahahaha

All it takes is one drive in these to get addicted. Remember when I first got mine and my Mom was visiting up from FL and gave her a ride. Punched it coming around a corner and stayed in it while it was going sideways. She wasn't too happy with me. This was before I really started modding it.

New owner, just make sure you at least get a Scanmaster to keep an eye on things. Knock will kill your fun real quick.

words well spoken go on vortex buick start reading and read and read and read noting worse then blowing a engine out of neglect

ordered a scanmaster the day I posted about the car here. It was an overwhelming suggestion.