You can type here any text you want

Main Bearing Clearance on N/A

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Got it Charlie, thanks. I finished putting it together today. I did the head stud retorque recommended by Champion by letting it sit overnight after the initial torqueing, and backing off the nuts 1/8 to 1/4 turn and retorqueing. I marked the nuts and the heads with a Sharpie and sure enough, they went tighter. A couple of photos attached of the engine and the 3 into 1 headers I built a few years ago. I have a set of full length 1 1/2" headers I ran on my 3.8. These are 1 5/8" tubes and were run both on the 3.8 and the stroker. I really could not tell the difference on the street. According to Kenne Bell's testing years ago, the 3 into 1 headers were good for 12 more horsepower on a near stock engine. I want to build a set of full length 1 5/8" stepped up to 1/ 34" with a 3" collector to see if it makes a difference with a stroked 4.1 The engine is not as pretty as when it was new.

View attachment 147924View attachment 147925View attachment 147926
wow now thats what i am talking about. i see you already have the nitrous set up.

There is not a lot of room for a turbo setup in the truck, so I went with nitrous as a power adder. it will never have the power of a turbo engine, but it's fun with the nitrous. I added the recommended safety nitrous solenoid in case the main nitrous solenoid sticks on. The main solenoid can stick with a progressive controller because the solenoids pulse like a fuel injector to bring the fuel and nitrous in gradually, so there is more wear on the seats.

It's not going on a dyno. I have some old Kenne Bell dyno tests with similar cam, heads, headers, intake, etc. That build made 325 HP. I think I am making at least 300 HP plus the nitrous. Since nitrous systems are rated for V8 engines, a V6 will usually have less than the kit is rated for. I think I have between 425 and 450 HP with the nitrous, maybe a little more.

Cool build. This would be a good candidate for higher compression and E85. Keep us informed of the new track times. Post up some pics of the truck

It's a true 9.75-1. I cc'd the heads, deck, and added the head gasket CC's from a chart. The pistons are custom JE's with a spherical dish. I kept it low in case i ever put it in a turbo car with a set of thick head gaskets. I had .030 Cometic head gaskets on the last build. The block was not smooth enough. They did not look too good when I took it apart. This time I had the block decked .010 to a 50 RA to match the heads, but I went with Fel Pro 1026 head gaskets. I have a spare set of Cometics if the Fel Pros don't work out. A photo of the truck is attached. It is a 1974 and has 358,000 miles on it. I am the original owner. It has a tonue cover and some capped dumps under the doors since this was taken. I have used it with various 3.8's to tow boats, a travel trailer, and haul my race bike and trailer in younger days. It's been all over the US and Canada, but now it sits in the garage and only gets driven for fun.

P1010162.jpg

Very nice. My uncle had one, I think it was an 80`s though... it was a POS:biggrin: rotted floors, half ass breaks and his was lifted with off-road tires. I don`t remember what engine was in it, but it wasn't no Buick:biggrin:

My truck came with drum brakes from Toyota. The Ford rear end brakes helped until they took asbestos out of the shoes. I converted to disc brakes from a 1980 Toyota pickup this year. They were better than the drums, but not great. I put some Hawk carbon metallic pads on it and it stops very well now. I know some local GN guys using these pads and they work great. They are not cheap though. My truck was built with rust already in it. I have been cutting out metal and replacing it for over 30 years. Keeping it in the garage helps. I can't bring myself to part with this truck. Too much history.

This is a really bad video my wife took with an I Phone a few months ago. It's the same engine I just put back together with a 150 shot of nitrous on this day. It's a bit lengthy because the slick tire Camaro did two big burnouts. I just cleaned off the M/T street radials. They gave us a pro tree that caught me off guard. I got beat probably by close to a second anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KOk_CPXn_M

I got the engine swapped out and running. Everything is good and it runs great. Photo attached. 10 pounds of engine in a 5 pound bag. A turbo might look better than the antique A/C compressor, but I can't live without A/C in Florida. Thanks for all the support during this rebuild.

PB220001.jpg

Back