You can type here any text you want

main bearing clearance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bugsy

87 3.8 rebuild to about 600 hp with the parts

I have 0.0015 to 0.0029 for miked main clearances using Federal Mogul 107 bearing set

The car is a street/strip , mostly street

So if the numbers need changing - - how ?

IMHO....the .0029 is way too loose.

I would think you might get a .001 oversize to try and get that particular clearance below .002.

IMHO....they need to be between .0015 and .002. It is kind-of a workaround at best.....not a big fan when all the clearances aren't uniform......

If you can't get that.... I'd get the crank turned and a fresh set of bearings.

So now I have to find Federal Mogul 107M 0.001 oversize bearings . Anyone got a good source . I've not had much luck looking on the net

Or - I have contacted Federal Mogul and asked if the #3 and #4 journal bearing top halves can be mixed and matched which would also solve my problem since there is that much difference in the bearing thicknesses .
The bearing top/bottom for 3 and 4 do have different #'s [ ie 1116 and 1118 respectively ] but maybe it makes no difference if a # 1116 and 1118 go together

Go ahead and mix and match shells halves to get the clearance you need. Install the thick half in the block side. How ever carefully check rotating torque to make sure you aren't touching a bearing shell.

Back