You can type here any text you want

Man I am pissed about my suspension!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

baller760

Ugh, I am hating this right now. I am a college student home for the summer nad I am in the process of rebuilding basically the entire suspension on my car. I just took the car in for a consultation to find out what needs to be replaced and labor costs etc. I found out as I had suspected just from the way the car drove that I need to rebuild the front end, change both engine mounts because the rubber has ripped apart, add body bushings because most are missing or crushed, replace front and rear shocks, and replace my front and rear springs because the dumb*** before me torched them so bad they fall out of my damn car when it is raised. All of that alone for the parts from p-s-t, energy suspension, moog, bilstein, etc is around $1000. On top of that the shop is charging a reasonable $80.00/ hr and they quoted me besides the body bushings that everything would be $700.00 for labor!

I know this is not that much for a lot of you older guys with your beautiful 10 second Buicks but for me it's gonna kill me. I really wish I could do this all by myself but everytime I've ever worked on this car or another one of mine or my families everything takes about 3 times as long as the instructions say it should. And I can't stand not driving my car anymore because it scares the crap out of me with how floaty and unpredictable it is.

Well, I figure I could do the rear springs and shocks and possibly the body bushings, tie rod ends, and engine mounts, but the rest is probably a little too advanced for me.

I could really use some advice from you guys or some encouragement if you can think of anything. Also, could the busted motor mounts be the reason for my detonation? I often get knock on my scanmaster of about 6-8 degrees for a short period in 2nd gear. Throws a MAL 45 but EGR is new and works. I had it tested.

Thanks for any responses guys, I wish I was out of college with a real job already so I could really fix up this bad boy!

OK, step off the ledge. Bro, I understand 100%! I too have many car issues, and a small allowance to handle them and I also see a car deteriorating faster than my budget allows funding to fix it. The savings are in the wrenching yourself, and honestly doing your self in steps is your best option still. To tear apart the car and do the laundry list is good for some, but overwhelming for others. Start w/ the shocks, or bushings, or a smaller task, and get them done and enjoy the sense of accomplishment. Whatever needs to be undone again, to complete the full project is wasted time, however if wasted time gets the project done, versus staring the whole thing in the face and backing down and not doing it, Then take the baby steps and waste a lil time.
Heres what I do. Find a friend who has atleast your ability or more (Always peferably much more). Buy 1 large pizza and a case of Mtn Dew (Beer may make this a longer process) and learn/wrench together, and realize the extra set of eyes see things you may not, and can keep you motivated to keep on. Besides, conversation makes every task easier.....unless you have a wife.
Good luck, and enjoy the experience. What you learn is priceless, and the power of your own labor will inspire you.

I spent close to $2500 on a complete suspension rebuild...and I did the rear myself! I paid a shop $600 to do the labor on the front with my suppllied components and they messed it up. That won't happen again.

Vast improvment all around when I was done.

I would recommend that if you decide to go with Poly bushings - spend the little extra money and get the greasable ones. I didn't and now can't keep the d@mn things quiet. They squeak pretty bad.

After reading what you posted, I believe that you have the key to at least partial success, and that is, under same and / or similar circumstances. I would do what you can yourself, starting with the easiest and least expenisve, and continue as far as you can go. Front & rear shocks, rear springs, & tie rod ends you should be able to do those yourself, & maybe motor mounts. I would at least talk to Tim Lee at DonLee Auto in Cucamonga and see what they can quote for the balance. They did my suspension, did it fairly priced and did great work.

i know it's more money to spend, but if you go to a junkyard and buy a new set of front and rear control arms, you can get all the new bushings and balljoints pressed into the junkyard parts and just simply swap them out in an afternoon.
then it's just a matter of replacing the steering parts and body mount bushings on the car.

There are plenty of resources on the web to help you step by step through most of this and if you just take your time you should be able to accomplish most of this yourself and save a bundle.

Are you familiar with the other websites geared for our cars? There is a lot of information out there that will certainly help you through this stuff.

Go to AutoZone and purchase Gabriel shocks which are very inexpensive and they work fine. They are very easy to install and that is a great start.

Good luck with your project and post any questions you have and I am sure there are plenty of us that can give advice to get you through this.

Yes, I know of Turbo Regal Web Site and TurboBuicks.com - TurboCharged Message Board Turbo Buick Grand National, T-Type, Turbo TransAm as other websites of reference. I have used those instructions before to remove the oil pan and timing covers but it's never been as easy as the instructions on gnttype.org set them out to be. Everything on there takes me at least 3 times as long.

Gabriel shocks? Never heard of them. I know most people run KYB, Koni, or Bilstein and from what I have read the bilstein's are the way to go. This car will be used in the 1/4 in the future so would Gabriel's really be the best fit?

Watch what the shop charges. make sure they are not charging labor for shocks or links for the front. that overlaps with springs. the same with the rear. you should not have to pay full labor. and watch for steering linkage labor alot of places will charge you for each part .If im replacing lower control arm bushings i will tell the person to get springs and sway bar links and shocks. that way i can torch shocks/ springs and links off. alot faster. you can do alot of this by yourself. if you are replacing all tierods and idler arm and certerlink. you can take off idler arm from frame and center link from pitman arm and set the whole linkage on the ground . then you can set up new parts by eye and put all new parts together and right back up. you will have to align front end. if you are going to be racing the car alot i would get some adjustable shocks . kyb and gabriel even monroe are good stock replacements and bilsteins are great for street driven cars but some qa1 adjustable or compitition eng shocks will be good for when you go to the track. maybe replace front upper arms with arms like the ones gbodyparts has. by the time you get bushings and ball joints and pay labor to have bushings pressed you will be close to the price of new arms. good luck

School comes FIRST!! Then, after school, you can step up to a job that allows you to enjoy the car. [And the expenses of owning such.]
BTDT, and have a t shirt to prove it.....

If you have replaced the oil pan, replacing shocks are a walk in the park.

The Suspension bushings aren't that hard, either. Autozone will loan you all the special tools you need for free.

To replace the bushings and the ball joints, take the arms off and take them to an alignment shop and have them install the bushings.

Bolt everything together and drive slow to the alignment shop to put it back into alignment.

Of that list of yours, many of the issues can be done by you for much cheaper and are really not a huge project. The idea of the rear control arms is a good one, you can even have some plates welded on them to box. Good money saved there. Too bad you weren't out this way, I got a set of stock lca's sitting in my garage doing nothing, maybe you can find a set near you that someone could donate to you. While your there you could replace the springs and shocks yourself too. I would make a list of what undercarrage work you want done. Split the list into what you can do and what you'll need help with. Save for the stuff you can do and chip away at your list. When a few items get crossed off your list you'll feel better about the car and yourself since you did it yourself. I know it's rough with a college budget but I know I had a lot more money when I cut down on partying.:wink:

plus, I don't know where you take your car, but 80/hr is not reasonable at all in my opinion. Are you going to Firestone or something? It is not like these cars are that complicated. Take the car to a nice small shop that doesn't rip their customers guts out and get the work done there. You should be able to find somebody to do it for 40-50 / hr. Or, the best idea yet......do it yourself. The rear suspension is EASY to do even for a novice. The front is harder and will require you to rent or borrow some special tools. After it is all done get an alignment and away you go.

suspension

If you can do it do it yourself. Its not as complicated as you think. I rebuilt the entire suspension on an 87 silverado while on spring break with a PST poly bushing kit. I replaced every bushing but the cab bushings. A-arms are hardest to change. Rent tools or take them to a machine shop to have old bushings pressed out new ones pressed in. Car suspension must be loaded when you torque it all down and get it realigned quick. I probably spent 300 on mine. I wouldnt do shocks first personally. I would say ball joints and front a-arm bushings, wheel bearings would alll make it safer. If ball joints and tie rods go bad putting them off would be risking totalling the whole car to save a little money. Shocks can wait. Just my 2 cents. Lots of good advice on other posts. Find a friend and swap talents.

Removing front coil springs is potentially dangerous and deadly. Be very cautious, and absolutely know the correct procedures ahead of time.

Especially on suspension parts, air tools would be nice to have.

Removing front coil springs is potentially dangerous and deadly. Be very cautious, and absolutely know the correct procedures ahead of time.

Especially on suspension parts, air tools would be nice to have.

Truthfully, taking out the springs shouldnt be the worry! Its when you are putting them back in that they give you the BIG balls!! I just did mine yesturday. They will fall right out for you if you lower that a-arm down with a jack.

With the shock hooked up, the spring really can't go anywhere. Undo the A-arm bolts and pickle fork the ball joint, lower the A-arm with a jack and when all the tension is off the spring, remove the shock.

Reverse to re-install. A large screw driver helps line up the A-arm bolts.

Way easier and safer than a spring compressor.

Yes, I know of Turbo Regal Web Site and TurboBuicks.com - TurboCharged Message Board Turbo Buick Grand National, T-Type, Turbo TransAm as other websites of reference. I have used those instructions before to remove the oil pan and timing covers but it's never been as easy as the instructions on gnttype.org set them out to be. Everything on there takes me at least 3 times as long.

Gabriel shocks? Never heard of them. I know most people run KYB, Koni, or Bilstein and from what I have read the bilstein's are the way to go. This car will be used in the 1/4 in the future so would Gabriel's really be the best fit?

Gabriel shocks are good for the money. They are inexpensive and work fine with no problems. Are they the ultimate performance shock, no. If you want the car to sit properly and ride nice down the road they will be fine to get you by until you can afford to step up to the more expensive shocks. I have run them for several years with no problems and I know of three other GN members who have run them as well. Now if money is no object then step up to the QA1's and be done.
BTW, have you started this project yet and if so how is it going?

With the shock hooked up, the spring really can't go anywhere. Undo the A-arm bolts and pickle fork the ball joint, lower the A-arm with a jack and when all the tension is off the spring, remove the shock.

Reverse to re-install. A large screw driver helps line up the A-arm bolts.

Way easier and safer than a spring compressor.

HOLY HELL DUDE!!!! This is the craziest concept if have heard of! Also, it is the absolute BEST one too!!! Thanks for the stellar idea man! This is good stuff. I never thought of doing it that way. This could even work from the ground with the car on a jack stand. Wow!

Gabriel shocks are good for the money. They are inexpensive and work fine with no problems. Are they the ultimate performance shock, no. If you want the car to sit properly and ride nice down the road they will be fine to get you by until you can afford to step up to the more expensive shocks. I have run them for several years with no problems and I know of three other GN members who have run them as well. Now if money is no object then step up to the QA1's and be done.
BTW, have you started this project yet and if so how is it going?

I've begun by purchasing the body mounts, engine mounts, and front end kit. Just waiting for them to arrive in the mail. Pretty soon I will purchase the springs and shocks as well.

About the shocks, will Gabriel shocks be good enough for a street/ occasional strip combo? Or KYB, Koni, Bilsteins be a better choice? The QA1's are a little more than I want to spend at the moment. Besides, the car is only being prepared for street duty and some mid 11 to low 12 1/4 mile times.

Back