mass airflow sensor

black-gn

i want 2 know what is the best aftermarket mass airflow sensor on the market for a 86-87 gn and do it plug right in or u got to do some wire cutting and where can i get one from? thank you :)

only thing that works is a 93-95 camaro/ corvette lt1 maf. and you will have to get a transulator that many venders on this site sell. there is no company that can rebuild these right.

I understand that the translator is a great product but there are lots of people that do not have any trouble with the stock replacement MAF's from the bix box discount stores

but there are lots of people that do not have any trouble with the stock replacement MAF's
That may be true- but there are lots of people who DO have trouble with the stock replacements. Some take them back and keep swapping until they get one that is "right", while others give up, and buy the translator, and others go "MAFless". There are stock replacements which seem to work Ok, but they won't read accurately, if at all, beyond about 200gm/sec. So it depends on luck you are, I guess.

Kirban sells the stockers rebuilt. From what I have heard they are usually good with the flow calibrations.

George my comment was because it seems that most of the posts about them not working are not from persons with personal experience. There are lots of posts that act to report as fact when it really is just something they heard about.

most of the posts about them not working are not from persons with personal experience
Don't know if it's "most", but I know that many of the posts I have read have been from peolple who bought a MAF at O'Reilly, or at Autozone, and took it back to get another- and maybe another- but it's one of those things that you won't hear about the ones that worked, only the problems. So I have no way to know how big the problem is, just that it does exist to some extent. So, like I said. Do you feel lucky? :smile:

I buy a LOT of stuff at my local Advanced Auto Store. I explained to the guy behind the counter that I needed a good MAF, and why. I took my known good original MAF along to show him exactly what I needed.

He agreed, the MAF I buy from him must be the correct, original size and electrical hookup for my car. I said also that it must perform to stock specifications....ANY problem, and he guaranteed that he'd exchange it as many times as necessary until I got one that worked and one that was exactly the right replacement.

The first one he got for me was the right MAF housing. I put it on the car and did a TurboLink recording at WOT. The readings from his rebuilt MAF varied less than one per cent from the known good original MAF readings. I kept it as the backup MAF.

There is deep prejudice against rebuilt MAF sensors in our community. Most of that prejudice is from bad rebuilt MAFs in the past. Advance gives a lifetime warranty....Was a slam dunk for me.

The secret here, is to do all this and have a known good spare on the shelf before you need it

:)