maxeffort tuning problems

matt87

went to the track today and wasnt exspecting much. threw a whole bunch of new parts at the car. its a whole new combo. most recent additions are a double pumper seet to kick on at 15psi, 72# injectors, a ramchargers modded ecm with ME-16 pos. so anyways it only ran a 12.4 at 107 with about 17 psi boost on street pos 4 and 40 psi line off. it lightly popped all the way down the track and was way rich. no knock at all. i had a 1/2 mix of 94 and c-16. i then tried a race setting and it popped even worse and i had to lift but still no knock. i dont think i did the offset thingy right, as all i did was plug in the chip and go, i really dont understand how to use the offset feature.

Originally posted by matt87
went to the track today and wasnt exspecting much. threw a whole bunch of new parts at the car. its a whole new combo. most recent additions are a double pumper seet to kick on at 15psi, 72# injectors, a ramchargers modded ecm with ME-16 pos. so anyways it only ran a 12.4 at 107 with about 17 psi boost on street pos 4 and 40 psi line off. it lightly popped all the way down the track and was way rich. no knock at all. i had a 1/2 mix of 94 and c-16. i then tried a race setting and it popped even worse and i had to lift but still no knock. i dont think i did the offset thingy right, as all i did was plug in the chip and go, i really dont understand how to use the offset feature.
Steve's defaults are pretty close so you could always disconnect the ECM to clear it back to defaults if you messed with it. Any scantool or EGT data? I have had popping both ways but usually see it more when lean. If you are rich you can click back to pisition 1 and see how it acts or take 16 numbers out of the offset to see what it gives.

Jesse, what scan tool info would be relevant? all i did was monitor knock and saw none, i didnt even pay any mind to o2s cause i had c-16 in there. i guess i'll clear it and try again, but is it plug and play or do i hve to mess with the offset feature right off the bat?

It is normally plug and play....You cannot make assumptions just because you have C16 in the tank.

dam than if it was right than i guess this car is just a slug, when i hit the recall on the sm2 to see knock it showed 0 but the o2 numbers were in the high 800's. this dam car went faster last year with a shot bottom end and a totalled cam sensor. my other car always went faster each time i went to the track, and its only been twice!

High 800's is terrible! I had great spool with the ME! Better than any chip I ever had. I would reset it and make a few runs with high boost (20 PSI) and see what your 02's are since you have C-16. Dial the TW back if it is way rich. If you can't get enough out doing that then you will have to take out numbers in the offset. If you don't have real good heads I imagine your offset may be too high causing all your TW positions giving too much fuel.

i think gn1 heads would be considered good by some, but alas i will tinker more with it today. only second day with this chip and car. Jesse i see now why you are doing a more simple approach, my other car has always been reliable and always responded to mods by going faster with minimal tuning. thanks for the help.

Every 8 numbers in offset is like going up 1 TW position.
Leave the thumbwheel on 4 and start dropping the offset or turn the boost up.
You have enough fuel on 4 with the offset at default to run a low 10.
Why didn't you email me about this?
Steve

Did you follow the instructions for the chip? Take both screens out, set the fuel pressure as per the injectors you have?

<i had a 1/2 mix of 94 and c-16. i then tried a race setting and it popped even worse and>

Until you get 100% race gas in the car DO NOT switch it up to race timing. The race settings are for race fuel, Not a 50/50 mix of race gas and camel piss.

Stay on the street timing settings until you get your fuel curve figured out Once you get some decent EGT #s and 02#s as well as no knock retard, then throw in the 100% race gas and turn up the wick.

The Max E is a WONDERFUL tool, but like a chainsaw, it can get you into trouble if you don't follow instructions;)

Email Steve direct. He is the one that can give you the answers your looking for. Your car has way more potential than mid twelves. With the Max effort right out of the box with street timing my car ran 11.7's. and your setup is way hotter than mine. Stick with it once you figure out how to use it youll love the tunaility.

well i'm gonna hit the dyno saturday and do some serious tuning, i'm looking forward to unlocking the potential in this combo and i think the maxeffort chip will work out for me. one of the guys coming to the dyno has exsperience using this chip. Steve, yes i removed the screens after i got home from the track and found out i had to add some idle fuel to keep it from stalling but all is well now and i set the fp, and idle per Steve Y's instructions.

he he, ya i forgot that one tid-bit! it was a last minute thing anyways. Jack Cotton finished my car the night before we went to the track. i forgot to tell him to yank the screens! it'll come around, i'm patient.

Matt , also take a look at your fuel pressure when the second fuel pump comes on. See if your pressure is spiking a couple of pounds.

Paul Thompson

and I would think that running 17# of boost is not enuf for a double pumper....I think it will be easier to tune if you shut the second pump off, or crank the boost way up. The ME will also like the boost. :)

Are you using a stock MAF or the 3.5 and translator in your sig.? If it’s a stock MAF yes the screens must come out, but if you are using the Translator and the 3.5 MAF then set the fuel pres. to Steve’s spec. and set the M/E back to his default settings ( pull the wire at batt. to reset chip) and drive car with the default settings and feel how it runs then pull over and change the base setting on the Translator and see if Its better or worse, if its bad the car will run fuzzy but when you hit a base setting your car likes trust me you will know it!!! I have run ALL the combos of MAF’s 3” and 3.5” with screens and with out screens, draw throw and blow throw and even a Granatelli 3.5 all on the same M/E 16pos.chip.
OK so now I am running a new chip from Steve and to show you how the base thing is not set in stone I am using a 3” screen less MAF with a base setting on the Translator of “0” and that is the translators “no change” setting for a 3.5 MAF!!!
So if this helps what I’m trying to say is get your base setting (resolution for your chip & MAF and combo.) and then fine-tune with the M/E and you will find you wont have to tweak much.
PHIL.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

turbophil, i'm currently running a screenless 3.5 inch sensor and i too have the base setting at 0.