You can type here any text you want

Measuring push rod length...do I have too much variation??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87LtdT

Is it normal to have +/- .020" length from rocker arm to rocker arm??

Don't know exact length yet but I measured and set the adjustable pushrod length for #1 exhaust. #3 exhaust was .020" shorter than #1 exh, and #3 intake was .012" longer than #1 exh.

Is this too much variation or normal??

Thanks, Bob

Are all the intakes the same height? Are the heads fresh or have they been run?

Generally, the heads should have the valve stems the same height, as the stock valvetrain is non-adjustable. Whats the spread?

Bob

the couple of heads Ive messed with seem to be about the same. To get .030 preload with my adjustable pushrods the range was from 8.07 to 8.093 (end to end for the measurement) to get it right. Using a straight edge on the valves, a few of the valves are slightly off. Ive seen this on my heads as well as a set of Champions.

Thanks JDS....are adjustable pushrods my fate?? I have .032" total variation within 3 valves!! Now if that was the total variation I could probably live with it as there is undoubtedly enough range within acceptable adjusting screw location that I set each independently.

Bob

Back