Methanol Sources

Bought some last week at Columbus, OH

It was $3/gal. from the VP Fuels truck (I believe it was the Indiana rep.)

On thing to keep in mind is if you do not have your own can it may be rather expensive to get one there. A 5gal. metal can from VP was an additional $15. Considering a plastic superjug was only $18 a few booths down, I bought one of those instead.

Razor,

It's for your kit..... the one that is still in the box. It is sitting with the heads, cam, intake & nitrous as well. Just driving it easy & limiting it to 18# boost 'till I get all the new stuff on.

I have customers cars scheduled, so there is no time for my own projects.

Lanier's Speed Shop
106 Pueblo Av
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80903 - 2118
(719) 633-1378
$2.75 a gallon.

San Jose area source for methanol?

Also anyone using it in the SMC kit? safe? recommended? Denatured alcohol isnt cutting it on 91 oct pump at 25 psi.

guys I cant find this stuff in the NY area. I went to Ace hardware, home depot and paint places. am I going to the wrong type of places?? I line in Long Island , NY.
someone please help.

thanks
Ralph

open up your local phone book and start calling "speed" shops or other types of performance shops and ask them.

Originally posted by gnfanatic
guys I cant find this stuff in the NY area. I went to Ace hardware, home depot and paint places. am I going to the wrong type of places?? I line in Long Island , NY.
someone please help.

thanks
Ralph

Ralph..yes you are. Methanol is a fuel. You dont buy fuel at a hardware store. Look at the places listed, they are speed shops, racetracks, etc.. Look under chemical distributors, fuel distributors, speed shops, etc in the phone book... You can use denatured alcohol, but its 10.00 a gallon from home depot.

It is also used as a solvent for processing chemicals.

Good luck..post when you find it.

HTH

hey guys, I couldnt find any meth resources today, called 3 speed shops. one of them said it is a special order?? so I went to home depot and picked up a can a den alcohol. See how it goes.

Ralph

Ralph,
Call fuel distributors. If you needed to buy high octane race gas who would you call? Most of the businesses that carry this stuff are not open on weekends.

Open the phone book..look under automobile race cars, automobile racing, race tracks, look for race car fabricators(chassis shops) and ask them who locally carries "racing alky", "racing alcohol", etc. Look for Sunoco, BP, Torco, VP, race fuels.. contact race fuel distributors and see who carries it.

I bet you'll find it.. be firm in your committment.

At least special order is an alternative. See how much they get for a 5 gallon pail? There is always the 55 gallon drum alternative.. thats usually 100 dollars or so.

Lastly there are cheaper sources for denatured than Home Depot. It is the most expensive for this stuff. Call any local non-chain hardware/paint store and get a quote for a 5 gallon pail/can.

Originally posted by DSMBeast
San Jose area source for methanol?

Also anyone using it in the SMC kit? safe? recommended? Denatured alcohol isnt cutting it on 91 oct pump at 25 psi.

My understanding is no.. its not compatible. There are those that run methanol on the SMC kit, but it is more corrossive than denatured hence why I say not compatible. It has to do with the pump compatability.

As far as a San Jose source.. dunno.. if you find one..post back so we can add it.

I found a vendor in gulfport mississippi.

McMurtrys Automotive
3204 B. Ave.
Gulfport, MS. 39507

PH# 228-863-4139

Theres also a place in Long Beach, MS. Someone said they buy 55 gal drums of methanol for $99!!!

Dons Hot Rod Shop
2811 N. Stone Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85705

602-884-8892

Asked for methanol, they gave me alcohol. I guess its the same. It was a clear fluid.

$3.40 a gallon

Dallas, TX

Smiley's Racing
2017 Peachtree Rd.
Balch Springs, TX 75180

I just called and I was told $2.50 per gallon for methanol. I will go up there later this week to buy some.

Just wondering, all costs aside, whats better in terms of longetivity of the alky kit and most especially SPEED?? Denatured alcohol or methanol?
Thanks,
Derek:cool:

Derek, this thread is for help locating sources, and trying to keep it non technical.

To answer your question,

Depends on pump used. And most get a little better result out of using methanol. The up-side is looking at prices, its pretty inexpensive..once located. The down side is locating it. If you want, make a new thread with your question, or.. you can also search, this subject has been gone through a bit.

If you get a system that can run both liquids.. then you can play with both and make your own judgement. After all.. you cant have a balanced opinion till you try. Same arguement applies to using water mixed with alcohol.

HTH

in tulsa oklahoma
grand prix auto sports
methanol is 2.15 a gallon
phone# 1 918 836 8487