You can type here any text you want

mid-high 12's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kshef

what specifically do i need to do to get a stock 87 gn to run mid to high 12's? i've heard a few conflicting ideas but i need to nail it down and get to work
thanks in advance

Hay Kyle, you should take a look at the performance recipies in gntype.org they have some very useful information.

scan master, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, adjustable wastegate, fuel pump, and race gas, hello 12's i think some guys are even in the 11's with some of that stuff

Definitely learn to tune with a scan tool, spring cleaning tips on gnttype.org, fuel pump, sticky tires, race fuel and boost, good launch, and you should have enough mph for 12s. ET will depend on traction and launch. See my website for some other modifications.

Depends on the condition of your motor. For some, it takes much more than what was listed already.
scan master, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, adjustable wastegate, fuel pump, and race gas, hello 12's i think some guys are even in the 11's with some of that stuff
I have all of that, but instead of race gas I use alcohol injection, and I have a Mease 3" DP, Hooker exhaust, TE-44 over 20psi, 92 and 93 octane chips, bluetops, PowerPlate, airbag, locker for the rear, 5psi launch on 275/60/15 BFG DR's, you know how it goes.... best of 13.6@102. :mad: Car was tuned on the dyno, also. So... although some people say they are running TWO SECONDS FASTER than my ET with the same mods, I don't see mine doing it any time soon. :mad:
Keep in mind I had planned to take my car into the shop a couple days after this anyway, to get things fixed. Suspension can help/hurt you too. So, try and see what happens.

Car was tuned on the dyno, also

What was the car pushing when it was on the dyno meaning hp ratings and stuff like that, ive been dying to see what my car has but no clue on where to go for a dyno around by me.

320hp/400tq, open downpipe, 21psi alky maxed out, with RA93 chip. Yes that boost is low, I don't like the RA chip in my car.

I would do a 3in DP, exhaust(ATR), Fuel Pressure Reg, Fuel pump,adjustable wastegate, race gas, and a 26x10 slick and you should atleast mid 12's properly tuned. Oh and Direct Scan. My dads car has been a 7.43 with three more mod's, valve springs a 2800 stall, and a TE-54. BTW thats 11.40-11.50 range and that was with alot of fine tuning. And a bunch of chips.

Originally posted by Nojug
I would do a 3in DP, exhaust(ATR), Fuel Pressure Reg, Fuel pump,adjustable wastegate, race gas, and a 26x10 slick and you should atleast mid 12's properly tuned. Oh and Direct Scan. My dads car has been a 7.43 with three more mod's, valve springs a 2800 stall, and a TE-54. BTW thats 11.40-11.50 range and that was with alot of fine tuning. And a bunch of chips.

ummmm... you can't run 11.50 with stock injectors, so you have a few more mods than the "three more mods" you listed.

A good fuel pump, an ajustable or 237 FP regulator, Thrasher 108 chip, sticky tires and a homemade adjustable wastegate should net high 12's on race gas and 18-20 psi of boost.

Avoid alcohol or trying to run fast on 93 octane at this point. Run race gas or a race gas mix at the track until you run twelves.

the car has 7200 miles, motor feels strong
i've already got 2.5' ATR stainless exhausts and a hotwire kit
so i need injectors(i'm looking at Lucas 42.5), air intake-9'K&n, turbolink(i have a laptop), 100+ octane
would a 3' downpipe help me with just these mods? if so, who is the best?
as for a chip i have no idea where to start becuase there are soo many...any suggestiions?
i guess thats everything

Looks like you've got a good start so far. Mid/high 12's should be a cakewalk if you can learn to tune a little bit.

Most importantly, make sure you perform a good tune up first. Plugs, wires, fluids, etc. check www.gnttype.org for the "Spring Cleaning Guide". A car that runs like crap stock isn't going to run any better once you modify it. :D

2nd, UNGN knows what he is talking about. :)

- Looks like you have the scan tool. Learn to use it, read through the instructions, it'll tell you what kind of numbers you are looking for as a default. You will also need a boost gauge to keep an eye on your boost levels. The factory in dash gauge is not accurate.
- Also looks as if you have hot wired fuel pump. The hotwire is good, just be certain you don't have the factory fuel pump in there, it is no good.
- Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator would be the next step. If you are going to be increasing your boost and running an aftermarket chip,you need the adjustability of it. You will obviously need a fuel pressure gauge for this.
- Aftermarket chip. The thrasher brand carried by boardmember (Scott231) can be purchased for $25 shipped. They are nice chips for stock combo's as well as modified cars. The number goes by the octane needed. As UNGN suggested, a Thrasher 108 will need a minimun of 108 octane gas to support the higher boost/timing.
- You can make your wastegate rod adjustable with about $3 worth of parts from a hardware store. There should be a procedure on www.gnttype.org.
- Get some sticky tires. If you plan on using a drag radial rather than a slick, go with a 28" tire like a 275/60/15. The taller tire will numerically lower the gear making it tougher to spin the tires.

Go have fun.

:D

kshef

Looking at your last post, I believe UNGN was referring to Nojug on the injector situation.

To run mid 12's, you do not need a 3" downpipe. Will it help? Maybe a little, but your money would be better spent elsewhere. (like one of the new Wide Band O2 kits from B&E customs once you learn to tune better).

Also, you won't need bigger injectors to run mid 12's. In the future if you do decide to go bigger, it would be better to go ahead and get the 50lb. injectors. That way you don't have to buy injectors twice after you run out of fuel with the 42's.

Originally posted by BlackBeauty
Car was tuned on the dyno,

Thats the problem.. should be tuned at the track and not the dyno..save your money and learn about the cars. I dont mean to be harsh, but for 21 PSI boost, I would leave the stock turbo on the car and not upgrade. And no..nobody is running 2 seconds faster than you at 20 PSI boost with a low timing chip.

Your car should be running 108-112 MPH with those mods. ET will depend on tires. Crank the boost up and lock the converter. Get the O2's down to 750's and your there.

Easy.

Ohh yea..its a lot bout seat time. If you want to run 11's and dont know how to tune your car, build a 10 second car. You should be able to run 23-24 PSI on alky with a street chip..

Cheers ;)

Originally posted by Nojug

TE-54 wont spool with a 2800 stall. Unless you shoot some nitrous. minimum recommended stall is 3200 and 55lb injectors. Dont believe me..go to the precision website. No amount of fine tuning will get a big turbo to spool on a big converter. 3300 stall..maybe..

I know first hand it wont work. I have a 12 inch 2800 stall protorque converter, my car slowed by a second going from a 51 to a 54. Due to the spool.

HTH

Not to change the subject, but my o2 are between 800-860. Is this a bad thing? Running 17 lbs of boost. Getting some knock, 3 degrees at most... How do i correct this??

Thanks. Mike

Originally posted by Mightysix
Not to change the subject, but my o2 are between 800-860. Is this a bad thing? Running 17 lbs of boost. Getting some knock, 3 degrees at most... How do i correct this??

Thanks. Mike

If its real knock, add octane. Increasing the FP isn't the solution to knock, adding octane is.

Your O2's are too high to be fast. Turn the FP down (If its above 45 psi) and lower the boost or add octane in the form of Race gas, toluene or Zylene.

Originally posted by Mightysix

Thanks. Mike

Octane.. via better fuel or alcohol injection.

Car will be lazy at mid 800's for O2's.. if you richen it up, it will knock less..but at the expense of making power.

HTH

my O2s are at 803 at the LOWEST point!
i have no knock
boost at 16psi

i like to stay a tad rich, but is this too rich?
i was told these cars love to run lean and i could lean it out to about 780 and gain 20hp but run the risk of damage
is safe to run 780 range if you have no knock?

Back