military guy needs help with fuel pres.

sweatnblood

Hi just had my car sent to bahrain...picked it up from the shipping yard and it ran fine for about 1/2 hour then the fuel pres. dropped and it cut out...after it cools down then it will run again for about the same time...the pres. is set at 40psi and I can hear the fuel pump running when it's running but then it stops when the car dies:mad: ...my temp light doesent come on so not sure how hot the car is getting...the turbo is hot...but it's suppose to be i thought...not sure what to check...any help would be great:D

first thing would be to put a gauge on it and see what its doing.

How's the oil pressure?
Does it take several cranks before the car starts when cold?

Fellow military guy here, I just have a question. Knowing how these cars hate the heat, why would you want to bring it to Saudi? the only thing I can think is cheaper fuel....:D

wow didnt notice you brought the car to bahrain. not a good choice. how long you going to be there?

well i'll be in bahrain until feb 09...i bought a after market fuel pump from est...is there away i can bypass the relay or oil switch...and if i take off my neg. cable will that help the ecm to recalib....sorry not a great tech guy when i comes to this car:frown: ...the car is new to me...had a 71 camaro before...so used to the carb and 8 plugs...really thanks for all the reply on helping me get this thing running...O FORGOT TO SAY THAT I FOUND MY FUSE FOR INJECT. WAS BURNT OUT

Yes. There is a grey wire coming out of the main engine harness towards the front of the driver's side valve cover. Connect this wire to 12V and it will run the pump.

Thanks for the info...did run a volt meter on the pump and was getting flux...so I'll run down the neg. wire this may help...or be why the pump is getting hot...hopefully this may be it...and then i'll start saving for a dual fan alum. rad set up...

How are the autopart stores there?

If you needed any parts would you be able to find the basics?

The last time I was there about a couple years ago, there wasn't anything. We couldn't leave the base, except for the airport. It was hot as hell, 115F or better in the shade. I am sure he probably lives off-base so his options for parts should be better.

Mine is doing the exact same thing. I think my 20 year old relay is finally biting the dust. My Air temp sensor will show 140+ degrees underhood and its about 90-95 w/ high humidity. I havent tested the FP circuit yet. gonna rplc the relay first since I think its pooping out.

hey man i know how you fell. im heading back to the states next month so if there is any parts you cant get over there let me know i cant get them and send them out.

ok so checked the volts again and everything is running fine...13.56 everywhere...my friend bypassed the fuel pump relay and still same thing...when it get's hot that's it have to wait to cool down...sounds like the fuel pump is fine when cool but after awhile then the pump sounds like it's speeding up with a higher pitch and the pres. drops and that's it until we cool let the car sit for about an hour...and then it's fine again for about 45mins:mad:

ok so checked the volts again and everything is running fine...13.56 everywhere...my friend bypassed the fuel pump relay and still same thing...when it get's hot that's it have to wait to cool down...sounds like the fuel pump is fine when cool but after awhile then the pump sounds like it's speeding up with a higher pitch and the pres. drops and that's it until we cool let the car sit for about an hour...and then it's fine again for about 45mins:mad:

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? It almost sounds like it might be struggling to push the fuel threw :redface: or the fuel pump relay might be going.

how much fuel is in the tank? also like posted above the sock might be very dirty and making the pump heat up? also when was the fuel filter last changed.

rrrr...

I have a little bit over 1/4 tank...something else forgot to say...when the fuel pres. drops you can hear the ecm trying to ajust and keep the engine running...not sure if this helps anybody...still have to check the fuel filter...