Military man and women need your help please!

86gngirl

GN's. A girls best friend
I have had the pleasure of working with a young man that is leaving for the Marines on July 11. I want to do something to show him how proud of him that I am. Our company is holding a lunch in for him , but I just don’t feel it’s enough. I always watched out for him as if he were my own. He just graduated from High School and instead of sticking around for his own Graduation party, he took off for Missouri to help with the clean up and recovery in Joplin after the tornadoes hit. He used his weeks pay to buy water to hand out to whomever needed it. In this day and age what kid does that? I can only hope that my own children grow up to have the same compassion and morals of this young man.

So I need some thoughts on what to do for him before he leaves.

Thanks you to all the Military personnel that have sacrificed so much for us and this country!

The party is plenty for now.......!!!!!

If you want to show him your appreciation wait until he is in some hell
hole and needs a few things or just correspondence from some one he knows.
He will need that much more.

The party is plenty for now.......!!!!!

If you want to show him your appreciation wait until he is in some hell
hole and needs a few things or just correspondence from some one he knows.
He will need that much more.

Exactly what I'm thinking Ronnie.:cool: Having that letter show up while you're in a fox hole or enroute to one means more than you can ever imagine. Make sure he's got an address he can write to and don't forget to respond. What you may think of as mundane will make his day, believe me.:smile:

I'd say something simple as a plaque and having everyone sign it would be a great gift. Those who know him, should stand and say something about him and his performance for obviously being such a mature, caring young man. He will remember this, and it will always remind him to continue to do good through out his career of being a Marine.

Letter are a very good idea too. :)

Ray

X10 on the letters. You would not believe how much soldiers crave that letter from home... Doesn't have to be about anything important, just something from home...:cool:

Letters for sure.However I always remember when someone would receive a box and everyone would gather around to see what was in it.Most of the time it was something to eat.That was what we wanted:biggrin:

Don't forget to put some car mags (or whatever he's into) in a box with some goodies whenever he gets deployed...And don't send him anything during basic except letters. Edit - unless you send enough for everyone he's in basic with, but they still didn't care for it much when I was in AF basic.

I have had the pleasure of working with a young man that is leaving for the Marines on July 11. I want to do something to show him how proud of him that I am. Our company is holding a lunch in for him , but I just don’t feel it’s enough. I always watched out for him as if he were my own. He just graduated from High School and instead of sticking around for his own Graduation party, he took off for Missouri to help with the clean up and recovery in Joplin after the tornadoes hit. He used his weeks pay to buy water to hand out to whomever needed it. In this day and age what kid does that? I can only hope that my own children grow up to have the same compassion and morals of this young man.

So I need some thoughts on what to do for him before he leaves.

Thanks you to all the Military personnel that have sacrificed so much for us and this country!

86GNGIRL,

I spent nearly 26 years in the military and retired about two years ago. Looking back on it, my family gave me a party and nice send off, but what has meant more to me than anything else is a pocket knife an older friend gave to me when I was leaving. He said it would be a useful tool for me to have and to think about our friendship when I used it.

That knife has traveled the world with me (to some neat places and some places I didn't want to be), and I just used it earlier this week while camping with my son at a Boy Scout camp.

My friend and I often talk about the knife and where it has been.

Not sure if your friend would appreciate it as much as I did, but my pocket knife has great sentimental value to me as it was a gift that has been very useful over the 28 years I have had it. If you get him a pocket knife, make sure it is one that will last.

And by the core values this young man has already shown (by helping out with his own money), he is proving he will be an asset to our military forces.

Rob

Send him some mail every day. A care package if you want to. In boot camp you learn to appreciate the simplest of things. The trainees like mail. i know I did.

I will never forget going thru the first time in weeks I got to hear music once again...off of Metallica's Master Of Puppets album. It was like a relief.

X10 on the letters. You would not believe how much soldiers crave that letter from home... Doesn't have to be about anything important, just something from home...:cool:

Yup. When you feel like your a million miles away from home, that's when a letter and a picture can bring tears to your eyes. Thanks for caring.

Mike Barnard

Letters, they were the highlight of my deployment. The knife is a great idea too.

Letters, they were the highlight of my deployment. The knife is a great idea too.

Gotta agree 100% here. Letters kept me going for sure. I'll even make an offer here. My old friend gave me his knife several years ago that he took to vietnam and used quite often. It save his life more than once. I have used it as well (don't ask please) and it is a cherished (sp) by me. I will be glad to donate it to him once he gets his budwiser and is on duty.:smile: He can't have it in boot but I'll be glad to send it to you after he's out and on his way to his first station, as long as you make a promise to send it to him.:smile:

Thnak you guys for all the great ideas! I spoke with my Uncles and they said the samething about the letters. I have 6 retired Military Uncles. The letters seem so simple, yet have the most meaning to you guys.
86GNGIRL,

I spent nearly 26 years in the military and retired about two years ago. Looking back on it, my family gave me a party and nice send off, but what has meant more to me than anything else is a pocket knife an older friend gave to me when I was leaving. He said it would be a useful tool for me to have and to think about our friendship when I used it.

That knife has traveled the world with me (to some neat places and some places I didn't want to be), and I just used it earlier this week while camping with my son at a Boy Scout camp.

My friend and I often talk about the knife and where it has been.

Not sure if your friend would appreciate it as much as I did, but my pocket knife has great sentimental value to me as it was a gift that has been very useful over the 28 years I have had it. If you get him a pocket knife, make sure it is one that will last.

And by the core values this young man has already shown (by helping out with his own money), he is proving he will be an asset to our military forces.

Rob
That sounds like a wonderful idea! Any idea on what would be best for him? Im not sure what he is going to end up doing just yet, but feel it would be a great tool for him in any position.
Gotta agree 100% here. Letters kept me going for sure. I'll even make an offer here. My old friend gave me his knife several years ago that he took to vietnam and used quite often. It save his life more than once. I have used it as well (don't ask please) and it is a cherished (sp) by me. I will be glad to donate it to him once he gets his budwiser and is on duty.:smile: He can't have it in boot but I'll be glad to send it to you after he's out and on his way to his first station, as long as you make a promise to send it to him.:smile:

I may take you up on that offer. My only concern would be that holds great value and memories for you. Your are a stand up guy to offer it to this young man. Im truely greatful for the offer and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to all whom have responded. Thank you for your service to this country and its people. We are all blessed to have men and women willing to sacrifice some much for us.

I may take you up on that offer. My only concern would be that holds great value and memories for you. Your are a stand up guy to offer it to this young man. Im truely greatful for the offer and I'll keep you posted.

As bad as it sounds, it's kept 2 people alive from 2 different generations. I'd like it to serve it's purpose and maybe keep someone else safe. Memories be dammed if it helps him come back alive.:smile:

As bad as it sounds, it's kept 2 people alive from 2 different generations. I'd like it to serve it's purpose and maybe keep someone else safe. Memories be dammed if it helps him come back alive.:smile:

That is an awesome thought and idea. I will let you know when he is done with Boot Camp so that we can make arrangements to do this for him! Thank you so much! Words cannot express how proud and thankful I am for you doing this for such a great young man. Thank you for your service!

Just send letters while he is in boot-camp; no food & NO knives!
I got my son a Zippo lighter; he is 3rd gen Jar Head & just commissioned as a 2nd Lt :D;
I have several students who have entered the Corps & a Zippo or a knife is a great gift!
Letters & reminders of civilian life are great motivational tools, especially in boot-camp. A lot of people are tempted to send military related stuff...he is going to have PLENTY of things to remind him where he is, what is really appreciated are those things that connect us to the "real" world.
When he graduates boot-camp& gets home, throw a big party & nice expensive dinner & cut him some slack with his language; everything will be "Yes Sir/M'am" & words will have an extra syllable in the middle that sounds like "F*CK" :eek:
Semper Fi!

D:cool: