You can type here any text you want

Mini Starter Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chris McDade

Has anyone ever had to machine the feet on the mini starter for it to make better contact on the fly wheel. Instlled one about a year ago and it never has sounded right. From looking at the fly wheel you can see that its not making good contact on the fly wheel.

I believe im going to pull it and mahine the feet on it so, it makes better contact on the fly wheel.

Anyone ever had to do this?

I had to add a shim to make mine work. Nothing to big but enough for it to clear and get smooth contact.

I've had my mini starter for about 10 months that i bought off ebay for $58.00 shipped. I just bolted it on right out of the box when i received it without adding any shims or doing anything else to mount it and it's been working great,no unusual noises or any reduction in performance. Turns the engine over like it has no sparkplugs in it,lol.

Make sure you've correctly identified the surface that needs machining. With this RobbMc ministarter we didn't have good geometry, but it wasn't the mating surface that was bad, there was interference on the *side*. That notch in the bottom right of the picture needed to go much farther down the side.

Make sure you've correctly identified the surface that needs machining. With this RobbMc ministarter we didn't have good geometry, but it wasn't the mating surface that was bad, there was interference on the *side*. That notch in the bottom right of the picture needed to go much farther down the side.

wow bro, thats huge cash for a mini starter....... what is the advantage of this starter?

I tried to shim the starter made it worse.
I'm going to pull the starter off this weekend and see if I can figure it out.

I've had my mini starter for about 10 months that i bought off ebay for $58.00 shipped. I just bolted it on right out of the box when i received it without adding any shims or doing anything else to mount it and it's been working great,no unusual noises or any reduction in performance. Turns the engine over like it has no sparkplugs in it,lol.
link to where you bought yours

I got one from a 95 Firebird, I had one shim on it, sounded awful so I cut it and removed the side closest to the motor. Perfect!!

It also depends on the type of mini starter you've got on it. Is it a PMG unit or a gear reduction unit? While both are lighter the gear reduction type usually works better. You can get them off evilbay or if you want a great warrenty then you can get one from a parts store. There's only 1 or 2 years of vette starters that are gear reduction type and those aren't cheap but seem to work really well.

charlief1 said:
It also depends on the type of mini starter you've got on it. Is it a PMG unit or a gear reduction unit? While both are lighter the gear reduction type usually works better. You can get them off evilbay or if you want a great warrenty then you can get one from a parts store. There's only 1 or 2 years of vette starters that are gear reduction type and those aren't cheap but seem to work really well.

I have the gear reduction from a vette and it is awesome at how fast it cranks the engine. It made a ton of room under there and is super light. I'll use that starter on every Buick from now on.

jpwalt1987 said:
I have the gear reduction from a vette and it is awesome at how fast it cranks the engine. It made a ton of room under there and is super light. I'll use that starter on every Buick from now on.

Any idea of the part number or particulars of this starter?

Back