Misbehaving Delco

Boostmeister

My Gn has a Delco model 16076622 Am/Fm/CD/Eq that is misbehaving. The radio and eq are fine, but the CD won't work until the unit has been on for about 20 minutes. When the CD does finally play the sound frequently cuts out and returns. After doing this for a few times, it starts to function perfectly. I've tried different CD's but it makes no difference. Sometimes the unit ejects the CD with an ERR display, other times it just goes into the pause mode.

I would like to try and repair it myself. Does anyone know what the problem might be and where I could get a service manual and who is a spare parts distributor for this model?

Also, what does the COMP button do on this model.

Thanks for the help.

Cant help you with the service manual or parts distributor but what you have is an internal problem that should be serviced be someone that specializes in electronics repair. Most repairman advertise in the yellow pages but be warned that some of these repairs will cost as much or more than replacing the head unit with a new one. Just my .03 cents :cool: . there may be someone on the board that knows of a parts source and wiring diagram if you attempt to repair this yourself, good luck.

Thanks,
had it pro repaired about a year ago. I don't want to spend big$$ again. I really like the unit when it works, it is simple - big buttons
no unnecessary or dubious value features, and it matches the interior.

Have you considered replacing it with the same model? and what price did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking?

If you do not find the exact one, you can always put in a newer style Delco CD player. I have seen them for around $200.00 and under. I have one out of a Blazer that I took in trade for some work but I am keeping that one for a future project. I will keep an eye out for you and see if I can pick one up "CHEAP" :D .

Yes, I would go with another Delco, but I don't know what years of models would work and would fit. Do late model Delco's fit in the GN's opening and is the connector the same?

Will the later model Delco's play MP3's or CWRW's?

Most any din and a half GM Delco will fit using the the Buick Regal mounting brackets. The connectors will have to be attapted to a aftermarket radio harness which will plug into the factory plug. FlyinGN has a '01 Monsoon Delco that fits perfect into his GN and sounds great but you have to run an aftermarket amplifier with this set-up.

Well, I guess I'll have to surf the boneyards to see what is out there. I'm still gonna open up the DElco though, took 35 min this morning for the CD to work, but only 10 on the way home. Once it starts playing it works great - probable some minor thing inside, a loose connector or such.

I wonder why Delco's are so much $$$. Atermarket units do much more and are a lot less money??????

Thanks for the info though.

hey boostmeister...

I have a similar problem with an AC/Delco CD player that came out of a 92 Buick Park Avenue. The CD player will not engage the CD; it tries, but then "Errs" out. I find this happens mainly when the unit or temperature is cold.

Can you explain how you fixed your loose ribbon connector in detail. I'd be very interested, because I really want to fix this problem without spending 300 smackers to do so.

Thanks!:)

What I did

Here's what I did. I removed the radio from the car and took the top cover off by removing the small screws on the sides and then popping the cover off. Have the controls of the radio face you.
On the right side, closest to you was a one inch wide ribbon cable that inserts down into a connector which is part of the circuit board that is mounted vertically. There is a plastic piece which holds the ribbon cable on to the connector. This was not pushed down on my unit so ribbon cable did not always make contact. First I pulled up on the plastic piece to loosen it, then seated the ribbon cable fully down and square, and then pushed down the plastic piece to hold the cable in place. I replaced the top cover and screws and all was well. One week now and the CD has operated flawlessly.

I think it is worthwile to check all the connectors, ribbon or otherwise

By the way, when I had the radio originally fixed, I had it done at Southern Electronics who replaced the CD unit (so they said).
They did it in 1 day and it costed a whole lot less than $300.

Nice detail Boostmeister. Thanks for the information. I'll try this out on mine and see what happens.:cool:

FYI comp button compresses dynamic range - quiet and loud sections of music have less volume difference when using comp, actually a nice feature in a car at lower volume levels...