Missing Cam button?

scgnx

If a hit my brakes suddenly, I am hearing a grinding sound (sort of like sticking a pencil in a fan) and my knock gauge goes full red. I have basically ruled out the Fan (disconnected) and the serpentine belt (removed for test). I did replace the timing set this spring and my thinking is that the cam button fell off when I put the timing cover back on.

Anyone experience this one ? Not looking forward to opening this thing up again...

- Scott

Check to see if the scrapper inside the oil pan, is not hitting the crank. I replaced a timing chain and during re-assembly I bent the scrapper trying to clear the oil return screen. Also if that isn't it at least you can shine a flashlight up throught the bottom of the front cover to see if the cam button is on the camshaft. Good luck..

Mike Banas

I'm confused:confused: ...so are you saying the sound only happens when you hit the brakes hard?...if so it sounds like a brake problem not an engine problem...as for the cam button if it fell off you would be hearing a grinding/tapping sound all the time...

The strange thing is having the knock gauge go full on. If I hit the brakes easy, nothing happens. Don't think its the brakes, because the noise continues a bit even when the car comes to a dead stop. I have been chasing a belt problem which turned out to be the air conditioning compressor bracket becoming completely loose. That's been corrected, no more chewed up belts! But the noise is similiar to the sound of that belt coming apart and slappin around. Yet, I can't find anything wrong with the belt or pulleys now.

Check for loose bolts...maybe when you hit the brakes hard something is shifting...moving forward and making contact...check the intercooler brackets...intercooler fan could be hitting the pass side bracket...did you put blue locktite on the balancer bolt and torque it to specs or at least use an impact on it?...have heard of that bolt coming loose and the balancer slides forward...just having a tough time with the connection between engine noise and hitting the brakes hard...did this just start happening after replacing the timing chain?...

That's my feeling as well, something is shifting around. Running a front mount intercooler, so no fan. Yes, this problem seems to have showed up since the new timing chain was installed. But from what I read here, if the Cam button was off there would be constant noise. I'll go over the belt/pulley's just to make sure, since that was giving me all kinds of problems too. I'll check the crank pulley as well.

This car needs a priest, not a mechanic.

Thanks for the input,

Originally posted by scgnx
If a hit my brakes suddenly...

You DID check the brakes, right? Although I can't imagine brakes bad enough to trigger the knock meter! :eek:

sc, I ahd the same problem 5 years ago, droive me mad! you wouldnt believe what it was, I had my converter shield on the car at the time. the converter weight came off the converter and fell on to the shield. When I breaked the weight would slide to the flywheel and the flywheel would fling against the shield making this loud noise and making my knock gauge go crazy!
you never know.
Ralph

Ralp,

Your the man!! I took off the torque convertor shield and bang out falls my socket swivel that I thought fell in the frame. Never would of thought looking in there for it. Thanks a million!! This thing has been driving me nuts for weeks..

-Scott

HAHA! Man , if I ever visit your state you better treat me to dinner :). I am glad you found the problem, have fun with the car..
Ralph