Modern antifreeze vs bearing damage

dsa87gn

I know the old school green coolant will kill your bearings in the event of a blown HG.

Are the newer coolants safer ? I know water or RMI is the safest but in Buffalo NY it really isn't an option many months out of the year.

You should look into the evens waterless coolant. I’m curious if it’s better then the regular coolant . For what it’s worth any coolant in your oil is bad news and terrible for your bearings.

Coolant has no film strength or high pressure resistance. It doesn't kill your bearings because it's green or Evans or Joe Schmoe's, it kills your bearing because it's a terrible lubricant.

Coolant has no film strength or high pressure resistance. It doesn't kill your bearings because it's green or Evans or Joe Schmoe's, it kills your bearing because it's a terrible lubricant.
Lol thanks now I know not to use glycol as a oil replacement. Since you seem to be knowledgeable what’s worse if you blow a head gasket and leak coolant into your oil ? A 50-50 mix of water and antifreeze , 100% water or the waterless coolant .? I believe that was the question.

It's all bad. If you blow the gasket and get coolant in the oil, you need to pull the pan and inspect all the main and rod bearings. If they check out OK, put it back together and go. If they don't, act appropriately.

In my experience, the gaskets like to blow into the lifter valley anyway. I've popped two and not disturbed the water jacket in a major way. Of course, the detonation that caused the gasket to fail? Destroyed the #1 rod bearing, which took out the #1 cam bearing and cut an $8000 hole in my wallet.

The best course is to make damn sure the car doesn't ping.

what’s worse if you blow a head gasket and leak coolant into your oil ? A 50-50 mix of water and antifreeze , 100% water or the waterless coolant .?
They are equally bad.The problem isn't necessarily the fact that there is water or antifreeze in the oil. I think the bigger problem is not knowing that it is there and turning the engine off and allowing the 2 liquids to separate. When you start the engine,the next time,water will be the first liquid to enter the oil pump pick up. I believe that you can't pull the dip stick too often,especially after some high power production or observed spark retard or the smallest incident that might cause suspicion.

They are equally bad.The problem isn't necessarily the fact that there is water or antifreeze in the oil. I think the bigger problem is not knowing that it is there and turning the engine off and allowing the 2 liquids to separate. When you start the engine,the next time,water will be the first liquid to enter the oil pump pick up. I believe that you can't pull the dip stick too often,especially after some high power production or observed spark retard or the smallest incident that might cause suspicion.

Yes.

You have to pull the pan and get all the water out if you pop a head gasket.

I agree with you guys but the question still is what would be the least hurtful to your bearings ? I’m sure you haven’t gotten any coolant in your oil before but there has been plenty who have unfortunately.

I agree with you guys but the question still is what would be the least hurtful to your bearings ? I’m sure you haven’t gotten any coolant in your oil before but there has been plenty who have unfortunately.

Thanks for all the input, but Dank is correct, I was really after what is the least intrusive. I do check oil pretty regularly especially after joyrides
If I do blow a HG, I'll be contacting you for a set of ported heads.

Dsa87GN,
I'm in the Buffalo area too. How about another foot of snow tonight?

Weather has been a real hoot around here the last month huh ? I'm actually in Lancaster. We will have to meet up some time.

There are various degrees of blowing a headgasket. It's possible to push it out without leaking coolant. If you monitor your coolant temps that can tip you off if it's a small issue. I big issue will be pretty obvious. I would immediately shut off the engine in that case to keep damage low as possible. A smaller leak might not be noticed and the coolant could be ruining the bearings. That I suppose would be the worst case trying to save the bearings.

Cool let me know if you have any questions about them .