You can type here any text you want

modify on-center rods for off-center

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WHITE T

Baer Brake Systems
Guys,

Gow much needs to be taken off the rod?

When doing this do you modify both the big and little end or all on the little end?

Looking to do this for a project, just not 100% sure.

Thanks!

Why modify the rods, When I did mine the machine shop just had the pistons modified to allow the extra clearance on one side.

Hey Dave,

How much did you have to take off the piston?

I was under the assumption that the rod had to be modified do to how much of a difference it was between on and off center?

WHITE T said:
Guys,

Gow much needs to be taken off the rod?

When doing this do you modify both the big and little end or all on the little end?

Looking to do this for a project, just not 100% sure.

Thanks!

The offset's somewhere around .090" - .100", from memory..don't remember the exact #s. If you have wide journal rods, and a wide journal crank, you can't mess with the big end; you'll have to make clearance at the piston pin boss, either by machining the piston or narrowing the pin end of the rod, or both.

If you have wide journal rods and a narrow journal crank, you can narrow one side of the big end of the rods, and get about half of your offset there (.890" to .847"). Then you may need to do nothing on the pin end, or at most minor clearancing of the piston pin boss. If you narrow the rod on one side, you will probably have to put them on the lathe and re-chamfer the side you narrow. I did this for a set of SBC rods that Nick Micale has; I might have pictures somewhere.

I am running on center rods in a stock block, had to cut the pistons to fit. If you want to know why PM me, as i don't need any more threating comments from a particular vendor.

Back